Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2016, 08:00 AM   #1

2016 Leprechaun 319DS Brake Control

We just picked up our 2016 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS Saturday from Dave Arbogast RV! Does anyone know if the coach is already pre-wired for a brake controller? I was hoping to buy a controller, and simply plug and go verses having to hard wire, and run wires to the back? What should I be looking for under the dash to see if there is a plug there for the brake controller? Would anyone happen to know what I should be looking for? Thanks in advance for any help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
KennyHinds-

Have you called Coachmen and asked them?

Is your Leprechaun built on the Ford E350 or E450 chassis, or on the Chevy E4500 chassis? I know Fords, not Chevys.

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:23 AM   #3

Thanks so much for your reply! It is built on the Ford E-450 chassis. I have not called Ford as of yet. The dealership told me the plug was there, but I have yet to find it?
Old 01-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #4

KennyHinds-

Here's the scoop. Ford builds the chassis with brake controller and charge line wires in place. BUT, the manufacturer has the option of connecting those wires (or not) any which way he chooses. So, the place to get an answer (and sometimes an incorrect answer!) is by calling Coachmen, rather than Ford.

That said, you should find a six-pin connector under the dash, above where your left foot goes. It will probably be brown, with two rows of three pins each. The wire colors going into it would likely be red, blue, green, white and brown. That's a typical Ford brake controller connector.

At the rear of the coach, you should find a 7-pin connector, wired as shown on "7-way RV Standard" at this link. The brake controller wire is at 5 o'clock position. The 12V charge line is at the 1 o'clock position. The 12V charge line may be live already, and easy to check (voltmeter set at 15VDC between the pin and the ground pin at the 7-pin connector). For the brake controller you can put some kind of voltage on the blue pin of the under-dash connector and see if it shows up at the 7-pin connector in the rear.

Now, all of this advice assumes that Ford and Coachmen didn't do anything differently than expected.

Even if the chassis is pre-wired, you'll need to but a cable to connect the controller to the connector under the dash. Here's a link to one such cable.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:44 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Take the coin holder little cubby hole thing out, upper left hand side above radio, the connection is attached to that. The OEM Ford brake controller would be there instead of that coin holder thing.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:48 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Shouldn't need to cut anything, just need adapter cable, plug and play on Ford E450.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:20 PM   #7

Thank you so much for all of the information! Your help is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-26-2016, 08:25 AM   #8

Thanks to everyone for their help! I just received an email from Mr. Ross at Coachmen, and the brake control plug is behind the coin holder/cubby hole. I started to remove it, but was afraid of cracking the dash or breaking the plastic tabs. Is there a proper way of removing the coin holder without doing any damage to the dash?
Old 01-26-2016, 11:32 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
It snaps in on the sides, reach in behind or pry one side by pushing in and prying out, should come after you get one side. If the snaps break, you can glue it in, no real reason to take it out again. You could get the factory Ford controller and put it in that hole. I mounted my Tekonsha to the lower right next to center, like above my right knee, just dropped adapter cable down or so.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:35 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Again, you should not have to cut or splice any wires, but that may depend if you need a charge line for pulling like 4 down. I did not need as I use a dolly with electric brakes.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:01 PM   #11

Everyone, thanks again for your help! I just got the coin holder removed and the plug was there! I was worried about breaking the connecting tabs or cracking the dash, but it was fairly simply to get out. I was actually thinking of replacing the coin holder/cubby with the factory OEM brake controller? I think it would give it a better look. Has anyone done that before? Thanks again!
Old 01-26-2016, 03:03 PM   #12

KennyHinds-

It appears your Ford chassis owner's manual may have some details on the factory controller. See this iRV2 post.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would have, however, I had the prodigy 2 already and decided to use it instead. I keep my radio remote in the cubby hole, fits perfect.

Tags
brake