Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2018, 06:05 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
2018 Jayco Grey Hawk 29MVP

Hi all,

Wife & I are getting ready to take delivery of our first MH in 2 weeks.

Hope to do weekend trips for a couple years until career allows more time away.

Looking for any & all recommendations for equipment or add-on’s we “amateurs” should consider for our unit.

Thanks for any input you may have!
tbillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2018, 09:44 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Just a few suggestions:

1. If your coach doesn't come with it (most don't) add a "Trik-L-Start" or other battery maintainer so the Ford battery is being charged while camped ….. when you are on shore power or on the generator. Easy install. For the brand mentioned, you need to Google it up.......not sold in stores.

2. Consider installing a battery disconnect for the Ford. Simple to do and it is a good way to go for storage/non-use of more than a few days. Available from Amazon.

If you aren't "handy" your dealer would be the logical installer for the 2 items above.

3. Consider adding hydraulic leveling jacks.

Pros:
1. Makes your rig a LOT more stable when camped in windy conditions (or just when walking around in the rig). My jacks go down even when on a level site.
2. Easier than blocks, etc.......just "nice to have".
Cons:
1. Adds about 180 lb of weight (so less cargo carrying capacity)
2. Cost. Many would rather spend the $ on gas/travel...they have a point.

Some have installed these as a DIY project.....especially the "Bigfoot" brand it seems. Factory install would be good...if still possible at your point in time. Mine are 11 years old and at 50,000 miles they have been used a lot....not one problem. A small % of others..............not so lucky.

You will come up with lots of other items that "suit your style" and reading the forum a lot will enlighten you too. You are buying a quality rig and it will serve you well "as is".

Click on photos to enlarge (hopefully) and safe travels to ya ................
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trik-L-Start.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	221498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Disconnect Sw Mod sm file.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	221499  

youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:35 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Thank you! Will definitely look for the trickle charger & disconnect.

MH has auto-leveling hydraulic jacks& keeping my fingers crossed after reading various posts on the issues some are having.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #4

Carolina Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I hope you love your Jayco! If you have time, keep us posted on how you like it! My husband and i just got back from looking at the Jaycos this weekend....the Jayco 30XP Prestige comes to mind, , but it didn't have the full body paint. If anyone has any opinions on Jaycos, yay or nay, I am listening! We may have to buy used if there is one out there we like. I really like the new ones, but I have been sensitive to new RV's with the strong chemical smells, and we may have to buy used to not only save money but for my health too.
SeektheSon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:32 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
2018 Jayco Grey Hawk 29MVP

Great username SeektheSon1!!
Thanks for the YouTube link, just spent the last hour watching various Jayco Greyhawk videos.
We feel we made a very good deal on a new 2018 Prestige with the lots filling up with 2019s. We settled at >34% under MSRP. Even sweeter was the ‘18 has several features we really like that went away in ‘19 (assume to lessen price increase, but there was still an increase).
Sorry to hear about your sensitivity to new construction, I hope you find exactly what you’re looking for.
Will keep this post updated as we go!
Old 10-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #6

Carolina Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco C Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbillet View Post
Great username SeektheSon1!!
Thanks for the YouTube link, just spent the last hour watching various Jayco Greyhawk videos.
We feel we made a very good deal on a new 2018 Prestige with the lots filling up with 2019s. We settled at >34% under MSRP. Even sweeter was the ‘18 has several features we really like that went away in ‘19 (assume to lessen price increase, but there was still an increase).
Sorry to hear about your sensitivity to new construction, I hope you find exactly what you’re looking for.
Will keep this post updated as we go!
Yes, I heard that about the changes between the two years on a Youtube video as well. I think you have the detachable Garmin, right? That's so cool that you got 34% off msrp....way to go! The reason why I was wondering if anyone had anything bad to say about Jaycos is because I hear alot of stuff about Thor these days on this forum. Of course, I realize you can get that from any company probably sometimes. And though I think Thor owns Jayco, I don't know if that stigma extends to Jayco or not....or only to Thor RV's? I do think the Jaycos we liked personally looked better put together than the Forest River Sunseekers and Foresters we were looking at....had some higher quality materials and I didn't see the flaws like I saw right off the bat in the Sunseekers. I fell in love with the 4 door frig though...and the large shower! I might have to move in permanently if I had one of those RV's! We had been looking at MB 24 foot sprinter RV's from various makers. They are nice but have airplane sized bathrooms and smaller kitchens. Got 4 small dogs and thought more room might be nice. Going from 24-32 feet was like a breath of fresh air inside! I don't know how a 32 foot handles for us though, and we will have to take all of that into consideration. I look forward to hearing how you like your Jayco....may you have no problems from the getgo onwards! Have fun and happy trails!
Old 10-10-2018, 05:36 PM   #7

Carolina Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbillet View Post
Hi all,

Wife & I are getting ready to take delivery of our first MH in 2 weeks.

Hope to do weekend trips for a couple years until career allows more time away.

Looking for any & all recommendations for equipment or add-on’s we “amateurs” should consider for our unit.

Thanks for any input you may have!
I hope this is not rude, if it is, just ignore. But do you mind me asking what you got yours for? I found a used Jayco 2017 MV, and I am awaiting a price quote from the dealer. I am going to get them to quote me on a 4 door frig upgrade too, now that I know it's possible. I saw the same vehicle on RV trader for 69950.00 with a frig upgrade and 5500 miles on it....owner kept a cover on it too which is nice to know. But they are a 6 hour drive for us to go take a look at it. Not even sure it's still for sale. Since yours is 2018 I thought I might be able to sort of see how that one is priced since these are fairly similar RV's, and compare from year to year. Does yours have full body paint or is it white? I know that could affect the price quite a bit if it's full body paint. This will be our first RV if and when we buy, so I am not savy concerning all of this just yet.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:33 PM   #8

Also look at Coachman Leprechaun. Been extremely satisfied and well built.
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:19 PM   #9

We LOVE our 2006 Jayco Greyhawk 27DS - - soon to turn 75,000 miles! X2 on the idea of hydraulic jacks and engine battery disconnect. We had owned 4 Class A motorhomes before downsizing to the Class C and all had jacks - - didn't want to give up that feature so insisted that dealers who quoted me on a new rig include the price of jacks (we have Bigfoot jacks - very reliable).

Good luck with your new Jayco motorhome!
Old 10-14-2018, 07:18 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug121041 View Post
We LOVE our 2006 Jayco Greyhawk 27DS - - soon to turn 75,000 miles! X2 on the idea of hydraulic jacks and engine battery disconnect. We had owned 4 Class A motorhomes before downsizing to the Class C and all had jacks - - didn't want to give up that feature so insisted that dealers who quoted me on a new rig include the price of jacks (we have Bigfoot jacks - very reliable).

Good luck with your new Jayco motorhome!

Great testament to have a coach with 75k miles! Glad it has/is serving you well. We’re thankful our 29mvp has auto-leveling jacks from factory.
Appreciate your insight, on the Greyhawk product.

Tags
jayco