Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2010, 07:33 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
26' class C

We are considering purchasing a Winnebago Access 26Q which is a new floorplan for 2011. It does not have a dinette, just a couch (sleep sofa). How many people out there think a dinette is important - there is a table in front of the couch for eating. I have found most dinettes are pretty uncomfortable - I don't see sitting at one for any length of time. This will be our first motorhome and we don't want anything too large. I appreciate any feedback anyone might have.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2010, 07:43 AM   #2

I would like to get rid of my dinette in my Cambria 26-A. It is a nuisance. A couple of chairs or a couch with table space is all most people need. I plan on modifying mine at the first opportunity. I would go for the 26Q.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:48 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover116 View Post
We are considering purchasing a Winnebago Access 26Q which is a new floorplan for 2011. It does not have a dinette, just a couch (sleep sofa). How many people out there think a dinette is important - there is a table in front of the couch for eating. I have found most dinettes are pretty uncomfortable - I don't see sitting at one for any length of time. This will be our first motorhome and we don't want anything too large. I appreciate any feedback anyone might have.
For two people, not having a dinette is not a big deal. If you ever bring kids along you will find it a handy addition.
J
Old 08-13-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
There's just 2 of us & we rarely use our dinette for eating. It's mostly a catch all for clutter. We take advantage of the camp site's picnic table for meals. I could easily do without it.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've had dinettes in several RVs. We prefer counters or a small free standing table and chairs. Even a TV tray or a center post floor mount table.
Our best arrangement was on a 1989 29 foot Collins rear kitchen fifth wheel. The counter was across the rear of the coach adjacent to the kitchen which was on the side and could be used for extensive kitchen duties and then tidied up for meals.

Have fun.
Milt
Old 08-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Denise and I have decided that our dinette will become a three seater over the next big lull in RV trips. The couch pulls down into a bed that we use and the back of the rear dinette seat is totally in the way of getting to the overhead bunk if we are trying to use that too.

I m toying with the idea of making the seat a slide out with two separate cushions so that if we need a two seat bench on both sides of the table we can have it convert.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DogLover, it does not matter what other people think. It is what you think and what you are comfortable with.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Doglover - We have a 26ft Class-C (ok, Forest River calls it a B+). It has a sofa on the front slide. There is a table that can be used, mounted on removable posts. We tried that once and it now is sitting in the garage somewhere... We eat on wooden tv-tray type tables that are folded up and put behind the sofa when not in use.

Both of us find a dinette wastefull of space and functionality for our needs. We are looking for a Class-A and one requirent is no booth dinette, but a table and chairs.

I think you should concentrate on what is important to you. Sure, we value the opinion of others as you obviously do too, but in the end you will be the ones living with your decision so I urge you to think about what is important and works for you.
Texas Boomers, FMCA #366366 SKP #91936
'03 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40PWD
RandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:47 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
we full-time. we like our dinette. it is ok for eating meals. it is ok for computer work.
it is not all that comfortable to sit at for a long time to watch tv. we use the couch and easy chair for that purpose.
imho the large storage drawers under our dinette seats are perhaps the dinettes best attribute.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
we full-time. we like our dinette. it is ok for eating meals. it is ok for computer work.
it is not all that comfortable to sit at for a long time to watch tv. we use the couch and easy chair for that purpose.
imho the large storage drawers under our dinette seats are perhaps the dinettes best attribute.
We no longer full-time, but our dinette has the same storage drawers plus some storage room under the table for pop and barley pop for the fridge. There is room for two at the table. The cats have their own eating area.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I never use mine and turned it into a full time bed. This way I kept the storage under it (as small vintage TT's do not have a lot to begin with).

Even as a kid, when camping, we never used the table, it was always used as my bed. For a table we used the picnic table outside or TV trays.

When I eventually get something else, I will not have a dinette. For me, it's just wasted space. Your new coach would be the perfect lay-out for me

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #12

When we had a 26 foot Class A, we used the area under the seats for much needed storage, and when not in use for eating or using the laptop, playing cards, etc, used the space under the table for our kitty litter box!!
Old 08-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for everyone who responded. Most of you feel the way I do - the couch instead of a dinette. My husband and I differ on opinions - he feels we should get something bigger with both and I want something smaller with just a couch. I haven't seen one motor home with a comfortable dinette to sit at for more than the time it takes to gobble down food! Furniture comfort seems to be lacking in a lot of these rigs, which I have trouble understanding. Seems it wouldn't take any more money to have softer furniture than feeling like one is sitting on a bed of bricks! Oh well ----
Old 12-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #14

Remember, the inside of the coach gets smaller as the rain continues outside. Hope you get what's most comfortable for your needs.