Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
Fair question. Thinking the 2 girls(4 & 6) traveling in the coach would start winning that the are hot. Otherwise probably wouldn't have.
I'd pay almost anything to prevent whining ... money well spent

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #16

Too much is said about MPG, just drive and enjoy, Or Park It !

Old 08-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post

Gotta take care of the girls!!! It also keeps the temp nice for after you get setup at the campground & you need to kick back , cool off, & relax. The RV is already cool.
While its not a big expense to run the genset, about 1/2 gal. / hr. as mentioned earlier, but from a cooling point of view it's definitely not the best choice.

Regardless, if the genset & rooftop unit keeps the drive quieter, doing it is probably the better part of valour!
Old 08-31-2013, 09:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltfishin View Post
Too much is said about MPG, just drive and enjoy, Or Park It !
Think the consensus was to slow down a bit. And if I have passengers/ie...whiners running the AC will cost ya an extra 0.5 gal/h = well spent.

I can live with 6-7 mpg especially if pulling something. My real hope is that I can travel more than 300ish miles before having to stop an fill up. With a 55 gallon tank, I was hoping to get some more road under my feet before stopping.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #19

Just a quick update - Came back from the beach...ran about 62 tops; pretty much baby'd it back Seemed that I my fuel consumption based on the gauges was less aggressive. I had a 1/2 tank left. Started with 2/3rds. I didn't run the generator on the back either. I know it doesn't use much fuel in comparison but just wanted to see the difference.

So any ways, I went and filled up - 28.8 gallons which is about 1/2 tank as advertised. Total of 176.5 miles. The math says 6.13 mpg....that was about my guestimate.

I suspect knowing what I know now, I will get it to improve a bit.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It takes many thousands of miles before you get an accurate "reading". We have almost 40,000 miles on our rig and it's still not enough according to Cummins and their tests.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #21

My V10 is a couple years old now and mpg is still improving (10K miles) 98% of the time I am either pulling the TOAD or the boat. last check was 8.2 and i am happy.
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gma-n-Gpa View Post
My V10 is a couple years old now and mpg is still improving (10K miles) 98% of the time I am either pulling the TOAD or the boat. last check was 8.2 and i am happy.
How fast do you pull? This is good to hear that it gets better with time.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #23

SLOW 60 to 65
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #24

Short 70 mile trip is not much to figure MPG.
Take a 300 mile or longer trip. Than check MPG average.
Maybe your driving the MH like a car. With a heavy foot.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
As has been said, slower speed, and letting engine break-in will all help. Towing a car will save more fuel than running it separately in most cases. Wind can also be a big factor. Most tuners will maybe help with power, but power costs fuel. Seldom do people see much improvement in fuel economy with a tuner kit, especially when you factor in installation expense. At 6 mpg you've got over 300 miles between fill ups. At 60 mph that's 5 hours of driving. I'd hope you stop more frequently than that with those 4 and 6 year olds. There's lots to see and explore along the way!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
Just a quick update - Came back from the beach...ran about 62 tops; pretty much baby'd it back Seemed that I my fuel consumption based on the gauges was less aggressive. I had a 1/2 tank left. Started with 2/3rds. I didn't run the generator on the back either. I know it doesn't use much fuel in comparison but just wanted to see the difference.

So any ways, I went and filled up - 28.8 gallons which is about 1/2 tank as advertised. Total of 176.5 miles. The math says 6.13 mpg....that was about my guestimate.

I suspect knowing what I know now, I will get it to improve a bit.

Keep a log of miles driven and total gallons used. you can figure it every-time you fill and it will vary greatly, depending how level the gas station apron and how level the coach sets. After a couple thousand miles your total miles driven by total gallons used is going to be a good measure of your actual MPG. If your not in the 7's get your foot out of it, don't drive with cruise, so you can feather it and stay out of "kick down" to lower gears, or as us old guys call it "passing gear".

-