Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #1

2nd run 70 miles = what kind of MPG to expect?

Made second run this weekend. Drove down to the beach. About 65-70 mies. This baby is thirsty - appears to have used about 1/4 tank. Seems excessive to me but I was pulling my golf cart running around 65 tops. Cart and trailer weighed probably close to 2000 lbs(guestimate). Ran the generator the whole way plus about an hour by itself. Not sure what I was really expecting but I guess some better than what this feels like.

So total on this tank, I have 110 miles with about a 1/3 of fuel gone. Still seems heavy on the juice. I am guestimating around 18 gallons used of a 55 gallon tank. Doing the math is around 6. Should I be getting better than this? It is flat here. I did have some stops going through the small towns. Does the generator add that much burden.

I do realize pulling anything will start to bring the mileage down and I probably shouldn't even worry at this point until I get on the open road running solo. But I suspect I will end up buying a something to pull my car with - still haven't made up mind yet or just rent something at my destination(if possible) - not an option here but we did drive the second vehicle separately. One day the DW will get to ride with me before I run the newness off.

What about those programmers for the v-10? worth it ? Still thinking about a scan gauge to see what is going on as well.

Again, it is just the newness causing me to ask all those questions you have heard before time and time again.

I will sit back and see what all the commenters say.

cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2012 fleetwood. Just did a 2100 mile run from MD to NM. Ran 70 the whole way pulling my Jeep and averaged 7.6. Why are you running the Generator the whole time?

Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I get 6-7 MPG. ~5000 lb Jeep in tow.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:11 PM   #4

First off I would slow down to 58 to 62 mph. That alone will save tons of gas. Remember your pushing a house. Also 100 miles is not a good indication of mileage. The trailer and cart may affect .5 mph or so. Speed, hills, and mountains will affect it to. Drive it for 2 to 4 tanks of gas at a slower speed and then come back and let us know what you think before you spend $$$$$$ on programmers.

I have an 03 Chateau with an 8.1L Vortec running about 11500lbs. and on our 5700+ mile trip I averaged 9.78 and that includes most days running into the wind and running the generator for AC and the cab AC. Speed about 61.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:52 PM   #5

Yep, lower speeds makes a big difference in mpg
Old 08-31-2013, 06:28 AM   #6

Since you didn't fill out what rig you have in your profile it's impossible to know what you're driving and therefore what mileage you might expect.

Unless you have a pretty big m/h I too don't understand why you'd be running the genset the whole way. It's an extra few gallons of gas for very little benefit in most cases.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Since you didn't fill out what rig you have in your profile it's impossible to know what you're driving and therefore what mileage you might expect.

Unless you have a pretty big m/h I too don't understand why you'd be running the genset the whole way. It's an extra few gallons of gas for very little benefit in most cases.
Assuming the location is Texas, sometimes you need the additional A/C from the rooftop units. My genset consumes about 1/2 gal per hour.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:16 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
2014 Ford V10, it will improve with mileage to a point. All the above suggestions are very good. I almost always run my genset when traveling here in the south during the summer. You should be burning about 1/2 gal per hour. Not enough to worry about in my opinion and it gives the genset a good workout. Being a new unit you also need to use every devise as intended to make sure you don't have any issues under warranty. I had a 2004 coachman 35' Ford V10 that had 16K miles & I would range 6.5-8.5 mpg depending on the type of driving I was doing & East coast hills didn't seem to make a bit of difference. It's also hard to guesstimate the gallons used with out knowing how it was filled & not filling it to see the actual fuel used. If the dealership filled it before your trip, then you don't know if they topped it off or shut off the pump as soon as the pump stopped the first time. Most likely the latter.

We don't tow our vehicles either & the DW has barely ridden in either of our motor homes. Next month we may be moving her across country & more than likely she will have to fly out before hand & I will rent a trailer & tow her car. The one time she doesn't have to drive & she has to be there before I can get the motor home there, go figure???

Have fun with your new motor home, I really liked our Coachman, We just needed more room for going fulltime.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #9

My advice is to get some facts versus guesses lest you pull your hair out. You need to keep good records for several tanks of gas, driving under a varied set of conditions to get a good average mpg. I've gotten as low as 7 and as high as 10 based on terrain, speed, type of gas (real gas versus 10% ethanol).

How much of that 70 mile trip was in congestion versus highway? Slowing down will be a big help.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Virtually everyone of my gas rigs, once I got past the 18' TT, have gotten around 6.5 mpg. Two different motorhomes, one with a Ford V10, the older one with a Ford 460, a Dodge V10 towing a very heavy 38' 5th wheel and a Nissan Titan towing a 30' TT. All got around 6.5.

It's more a function of drag that weight, and yes, slowing down will make a big difference. All of these things have the aerodynamics of a brick.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #11

Well said Jay... difference on my gas rig is 1.5mpg going from 60 to 65mph. Burning E10 fuel will also drop me another 1mpg. I re-set my fuel computer at the start of every trip.
RFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfreiberger View Post
2012 fleetwood. Just did a 2100 mile run from MD to NM. Ran 70 the whole way pulling my Jeep and averaged 7.6. Why are you running the Generator the whole time?
Fair question. Thinking the 2 girls(4 & 6) traveling in the coach would start winning that the are hot. Otherwise probably wouldn't have.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #13

Small highways were traveled. No interstate. Our interstates are 75 which isn't a good thing for us guys that won't to travel slower. Never plan to travel those limits. But I hate being that guy too. I drove 65 on the way home from Houston btw. I let the folks just go around me.

I had previously filled up myself coming back from the dealer so I topped it two clicks for consistency when filling up the next time when I get home from this trip. Yea. More tanks will give me the info I am looking for. It is just the newness of it all that gets these newbie questions.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
Fair question. Thinking the 2 girls(4 & 6) traveling in the coach would start winning that the are hot. Otherwise probably wouldn't have.
Gotta take care of the girls!!! It also keeps the temp nice for after you get setup at the campground & you need to kick back , cool off, & relax. The RV is already cool.

dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote