Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santara View Post
WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS READ THE BOOK u wil do LOTS of damage
Santara
After I "READ THE BOOK" I find I do LESS damage, (not "LOTS of")

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 10:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josewales View Post
I am also new to MHs. I phoned Nexus the other day asking if I can get an adapter to use a regular extension cord to the house. Even though their manual says to use a 30 amp 'big arse' cord, Nexus service rep said yes. I still don't trust their answer.
As has been pointed out already you can use an adapter to a regular extension - just don't run your Air Conditioner or any other big amp draw items on less than a 30 amp connection.
A few years back I used an adapter for my Coachmen Class C to plug it into a 15 or 20A outlet on the side of the house. I had the frig on overnight to cool down, since I was heading out the following day. That next day I decided to turn on the roof air to cool down the MH a bit. Naturally it popped the circuit breaker in my main electrical box in the house. In my case it actually destroyed the breaker and I had to replace it.

Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
y ur right, forgot the word or
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #18

Plugging into 220v is a disaster. The only thing that can come out of doing that is you will have an excuse to replace every electrical item onboard.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:58 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
125 volts is correct...anything else is an expensive disaster!

2003 Winnebago Itasca Sundancer Class C
Old 04-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is to the O/P.. By the way I would like to congratulate you on a couple of things.

The normal way for a thread somewhat like this to go is this: The new RV owner hires an electrician to install the outlet,, The electrician looks at it and thinks "Dryer" or "Welder" or some such (Depending on where it is going to be placed) and wires it for 240 volt. He never even looks at the printing which CLEARLY says 125 volts max.

Then the soon to be unhappy RV owner plugs in and, as I said earlier, all the magic smoke escapes, and now there are hundreds of dollars in new Televisions, microwaves, converters and every other 120v volt thing in the house.

YOU... Posted BEFORE you plugged in, got good info, did the right thing, and thus avoided all the damage.

That: Was one of the best Ideas I've seen on here in a long, long time. And you are to be congratulated for doing it.

You have already been rewarded (Financially) of course.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #21

I had my motorhome plugged into a receptacle that was wired for 240. Just because it is rated for 240v does not mean that is actually going through your coach. 240 is 2 120 legs that use each other for the neutral. This is why some older dryers and stoves only had 2 large wires and a small ground. Anyways mine was plugged in for a few hours while I tried to figure out what was occurring. Everything worked on the generator but not shoreline. Everything was turned on. After diagnosing (I was a newby at the time) that both legs had 120 on them, I corrected the issue. Remember that for an appliance to work you need a path to ground. Since there is not one (how the appliance is designed) there is no flow of electrons. I had that coach for 6 more years before I sold it and never replaced anything electrical in it.

Now what really kills appliances is low voltage. Last year at a camp ground they had a brownout. It fried one of my TV's and another travel trailer had an inverter catch on fire.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josewales View Post
I am also new to MHs. I phoned Nexus the other day asking if I can get an adapter to use a regular extension cord to the house. Even though their manual says to use a 30 amp 'big arse' cord, Nexus service rep said yes. I still don't trust their answer.
Make sure you use a quality extension cord, not some cheap thing you just have hanging around. Assuming you are going to plug into an existing 20 amp circuit find out what else is on the same circuit and try not to overload it.

With 20 amps you can run everything in your MH, just not at the same time.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:38 PM   #23

I can't understand why the RV industry decided to use a plug for 115V/30A service that was identical to the 220V dryer/stove home outlet. I also can't understand, in this litigious, sue everybody society, why nobody has gone after the Richard Craniums that decided to do this.

It must have cost RV owners, in total, many millions of dollars in damages.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
This is to the O/P..
Then the soon to be unhappy RV owner plugs in and, as I said earlier, all the magic smoke escapes, and now there are hundreds of dollars in new Televisions, microwaves, converters and every other 120v volt thing in the house.

YOU... Posted BEFORE you plugged in, got good info, did the right thing, and thus avoided all the damage.

That: Was one of the best Ideas I've seen on here in a long, long time. And you are to be congratulated for doing it.

You have already been rewarded (Financially) of course.
wa8yxm
Well said.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
I can't understand why the RV industry decided to use a plug for 115V/30A service that was identical to the 220V dryer/stove home outlet.
frankdamp
A 30A 120V RV plug is not identical to the 220V dryer/stove home outlet.

A 30A 120v RV PLUG looks like this:
That plug plugs into a 30A 120V RV outlet/receptacle, which looks like this:

(note the angled slots/openings).

A 30A 240V receptacle looks like this:

(note the parallel slots/openings)

As you can see they are similar but not identical.

IMO it is that similarity that can, (and often does), result in the mis-wiring of what should be a 120VAC RV outlet/receptacle to 240VAC.

Mel
Old 04-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
jamesrxx951,

If you go to post #4 and open the link, you'll find a tab at the left which says "appliance service". This explains what you're referring to. The fact that you once had your rv plugged into a 240v and nothing happened meant either the main inside the rig was off or the shore power cord was connected to the generator. Otherwise, you'd have the magic smoke that Wa8yxm refers to. Just trying to help so you don't get fried.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
a`dryer plug has a " L" shape ground
not a round or horeshoe
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
jamesrxx951,

If you go to post #4 and open the link, you'll find a tab at the left which says "appliance services". This explains what you're referring to. The fact that you once had your rv plugged into a 240v and nothing happened meant either the main inside the rig was off or the shore power cord was connected to the generator. Otherwise, you'd have the magic smoke that Wa8yxm refers to. Just trying to help so you don't get fried.
The main was not shut off and the generator feed is wired to the transfer switch. Just plug and play.