Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2016, 08:33 PM   #1

31 feet length Freelander towing capacity

Hi, i'm looking for buying a 31 feet lenght 2011 Ford Freelender on a E450 frame, now i already have a 2016 Jeep wrangler sahara unlimited as a toad. Do you think that this rig will tow that toad easily ?
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 07:47 AM   #2

I don't know which model you have, since they have a few models around 30'. It more than likely has the same 5,000# tow rating as this one.
Used 2011 Coachmen RV Freelander 30QB Motor Home Class C at General RV | Dover, FL | #120845

Old 09-25-2016, 09:19 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I'm towing a 4-runner, about the same weight as your jeep, 12000 miles over most terrain that one can encounter. From high passes to low desert and am surprised at how well the 31' and V10 does the job. Coming from a 40' DP with 400HP I though this was going to be a dog, not so, I can keep up with most all RVs and pass many going up the steep grades. I did add the 5 Star Tune for more control over the shift points and a bit more torque and GO, this was more for keeping from a down shift in cruise on what I though we're minor grade changes on mostly level ground.

LEN
Old 09-25-2016, 11:14 AM   #4

JF1957, the Freelander *can* probably tow it...and probably easily. But as Paul Harvey would say, "and now, the rest of the story."

That Jeep could weigh between 4400 and 5500 lbs (curb vs GVWR from a Google search), depending on what you might carry in it when towing. We use our 2013 Ford C-MAX as a "trailer" when we want to take more stuff than will either fit in the MH or that might add more weight than I want to the rear of the MH, but a C-MAX is significantly less weight than the Jeep. Our MH has a 7500 lb tow rating, so we only use about 1/2 that with the C-MAX. I'm an engineer...so I like to over-design and under-utilize with regard to specifications that may impact safety.

Assuming the Jeep is at 5000 lbs (there's always "stuff" in there adding weight that your forget about, or that you might want to toss in), if your MH is speced at 5000 lbs towing (which from a Google search, not knowing the particular model, seems to be the case), then you are right at the limit for the hitch setup. This gives extra braking capacity if (really, *when*) needed, and if necessary I know I can always toss more stuff in the car (up to *its own* GVWR) from a pulling perspective.

But if your particular MH can handle north of 5000 lbs towing (which is one of several reasons we purchased the particular MH we have now...as one day we know we will likely get a Jeep like yours), the next step is to make sure you have a tow setup (plate, bar, etc.) that can handle *at least* 5000 lbs (some tow bars top out at 5000 lbs), regardless of whatever MH you end up purchasing. My tow bar handle 8000 lbs (more than the weight of either my towed or the tow capability of the MH hitch...why risk it?).

There are basically three things that determine how much a MH can tow (aside from not exceeding the GCWR):
  • The drive train...can the engine/transmission/etc. handle it. I'm not sure about the rest of the setup on the Freelander, but the engine in the E450 is essentially the same Ford 6.8L in many of the much larger Class A gassers. It's likely that the engine/drivetrain can pull it off...I can pass Class A gassers easily...I just am hauling less weight than them with the same engine (but different transmission of course...so it's not quite apples-to-apples).
  • The MH frame. The back end of the MH is where the MH manufacturers tend to put all the storage space (since it's aft of fuel and other tanks that consume space), and that can sometimes be a lot of space into which you *could* put a lot of "stuff," and potentially exceed the rear axel weight. So part of the equation is how well the MH manufacturer beefed-up the back end of the Ford E450 chassis (many will do as little as they have to in this regard...I crawled under mine before purchasing to assure myself this was not an issue).
  • The hitch. The drivetrain could pull the load, the frame could handle the load, but if the hitch is rated around the same *probable* weight of your towed (around 5000 lbs) then you have no margin for any overage, and might put more stress on the hitch under certain conditions than it was designed to handle. I'm not discussing here *trailer* towing capacity, where you have to also be concerned with tongue weight (which is not a factor when towing 4-down like you would with a Jeep).
My advice would be to look at a MH with higher towing capacity, or if like this particular MH, see if you could put a larger capacity hitch on (you'd need to confirm the as-built Freelander chassis can handle this of course). But in the end, whatever you do, as long as you respect GVWR/GCWR/tow limits, you should be okay.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN
I'm towing a 4-runner, about the same weight as your jeep, 12000 miles over most terrain that one can encounter. From high passes to low desert and am surprised at how well the 31' and V10 does the job. Coming from a 40' DP with 400HP I though this was going to be a dog, not so, I can keep up with most all RVs and pass many going up the steep grades. I did add the 5 Star Tune for more control over the shift points and a bit more torque and GO, this was more for keeping from a down shift in cruise on what I though we're minor grade changes on mostly level ground.
Agree totally...it's an amazing setup...and the 6-speed transmission in the Ford chassis from 2016 forward is very nice. We've now got about 6000 miles towing our C-MAX behind on our Sunseeker (about the same length...31'), and have the 5-Star tune as well. Wife (who has a lead foot) was passing Class A diesels and gassers all the way to/from Yellowstone, over mountains and such. We might be unusual...we put those 6000 miles on it in the first 3 months of owning the MH...many don't put that much on in several years (our view was "why own a MH if you don't take it places").

OLYLEN, a brief thread highjack (apologies to the OP...I thought some might be interest). I've talked to a number of Class A to Class C converts (as well as seen posts on this forum on the same). I'm always interested in why people go *from* a Class A to Class C, instead of the reverse. What was your reason?

Wife/I spent over a year looking at some pricey Class A diesels with the intention of eventually full-timing, but in the end decided on the Class C for the next few years. Our reasoning is that it made no sense to spend the money on a a Class A now when are are not quite ready (we decided we need a few more years in the S&B nest). The other reason was that many of the more interesting places we wanted to visit in the next few years would be problematic with a larger Class A. For example, Yellowstone has a limit of 40 feet for staying inside the park, and when we were there recently we barely fit into a 35' spot. We also want to stay in other places with even shorter limits (some of the Forest Service parks for example). When we are ready to full time (or "more time") we will get a larger Class A for the storage space and a few of the A-like interior features (larger master bath, separate 1/2 bath, etc.).
Old 09-26-2016, 08:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I was going for a 42 tag DP and the wife wanted to maybe not RV as much or go smaller so we sold the DP. Being interested in RVs all my life I was cruising lots and found the C we have now. Called the wife to come look at it and she agreed she did still want to RV but wanted to get into many State and Federal parks that were big rig prohibitive. Now that we have a year under our belts I must agree we made the right choice. The only three things we gave up were storage room(I think we took way too much stuff in the A), an inverter and jacks which we could easily add but really have not missed.

LEN
Old 09-26-2016, 09:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert View Post
JF1957, the Freelander *can* probably tow it...and probably easily. But as Paul Harvey would say, "and now, the rest of the story."

That Jeep could weigh between 4400 and 5500 lbs (curb vs GVWR from a Google search), depending on what you might carry in it when towing. We use our 2013 Ford C-MAX as a "trailer" when we want to take more stuff than will either fit in the MH or that might add more weight than I want to the rear of the MH, but a C-MAX is significantly less weight than the Jeep. Our MH has a 7500 lb tow rating, so we only use about 1/2 that with the C-MAX. I'm an engineer...so I like to over-design and under-utilize with regard to specifications that may impact safety.

Assuming the Jeep is at 5000 lbs (there's always "stuff" in there adding weight that your forget about, or that you might want to toss in), if your MH is speced at 5000 lbs towing (which from a Google search, not knowing the particular model, seems to be the case), then you are right at the limit for the hitch setup. This gives extra braking capacity if (really, *when*) needed, and if necessary I know I can always toss more stuff in the car (up to *its own* GVWR) from a pulling perspective.

But if your particular MH can handle north of 5000 lbs towing (which is one of several reasons we purchased the particular MH we have now...as one day we know we will likely get a Jeep like yours), the next step is to make sure you have a tow setup (plate, bar, etc.) that can handle *at least* 5000 lbs (some tow bars top out at 5000 lbs), regardless of whatever MH you end up purchasing. My tow bar handle 8000 lbs (more than the weight of either my towed or the tow capability of the MH hitch...why risk it?).

There are basically three things that determine how much a MH can tow (aside from not exceeding the GCWR):
  • The drive train...can the engine/transmission/etc. handle it. I'm not sure about the rest of the setup on the Freelander, but the engine in the E450 is essentially the same Ford 6.8L in many of the much larger Class A gassers. It's likely that the engine/drivetrain can pull it off...I can pass Class A gassers easily...I just am hauling less weight than them with the same engine (but different transmission of course...so it's not quite apples-to-apples).
  • The MH frame. The back end of the MH is where the MH manufacturers tend to put all the storage space (since it's aft of fuel and other tanks that consume space), and that can sometimes be a lot of space into which you *could* put a lot of "stuff," and potentially exceed the rear axel weight. So part of the equation is how well the MH manufacturer beefed-up the back end of the Ford E450 chassis (many will do as little as they have to in this regard...I crawled under mine before purchasing to assure myself this was not an issue).
  • The hitch. The drivetrain could pull the load, the frame could handle the load, but if the hitch is rated around the same *probable* weight of your towed (around 5000 lbs) then you have no margin for any overage, and might put more stress on the hitch under certain conditions than it was designed to handle. I'm not discussing here *trailer* towing capacity, where you have to also be concerned with tongue weight (which is not a factor when towing 4-down like you would with a Jeep).
My advice would be to look at a MH with higher towing capacity, or if like this particular MH, see if you could put a larger capacity hitch on (you'd need to confirm the as-built Freelander chassis can handle this of course). But in the end, whatever you do, as long as you respect GVWR/GCWR/tow limits, you should be okay.
Well HILGERT i have to thank you very much for that huge answer, as OLYLAN, i just sold my 38' class a DP, DW find it to big and was a little bit sceary on the road particularly since we have that right inner rear tire blowout on the highway on august. So, i'll probably look for a class c or b+ with a 7500# towing capacity but they seem to be rare, anyway thanks again.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF1957 View Post
Well HILGERT i have to thank you very much for that huge answer, as OLYLAN, i just sold my 38' class a DP, DW find it to big and was a little bit sceary on the road particularly since we have that right inner rear tire blowout on the highway on august. So, i'll probably look for a class c or b+ with a 7500# towing capacity but they seem to be rare, anyway thanks again.
Look at the link below for a lot of 7500 lb tow capacities in the Forest River Sunseeker. These are upper-end C's...we could not find any used ones that had the critical features we required, so we got a 2017 (typically I'm a used car guy, but the wife REALLY liked this particular one). Not sure what the tow capacities are on pre-2016/2017 units. I can say this C is very well built with lots of good craftmanship that most people won't notice, but as an engineer I was surprised...lots of small things that most of the other C's I've looked at skip over (what I call "crapmanship" in other C's).

http://www.forestriverinc.com/brochu...erbrochure.pdf

We have the Sunseeker GTS 2800QSF (Ford Chassis)...got it for a few reasons, including:
  • Full-sized Queen bed (80 inches).
  • No over-cab overhang (wife HATES those...she likes to drive and see up, down and all around). We have an airbed setup for guests (which we really do not intend to have very much...this is a "usually for 2" setup for the wife and I).
  • Rear slideout for bed...which makes it less offensive if we need to boondock at a Walmart (slides out over the tow hitch setup). The other 3 slides (yes, 4 slides total!!!) are sides, and we can keep those in when in a parking lot.
  • 7500 towing capacity (for the reasons I outlined in my prior post).
Old 09-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #9

There is a big difference if you're towing a vehicle on a trailer or if your pulling a vehicle with a Tow Bar. Puling with a Tow Bar does not add to the GVW. The transmission and engine on my E-450 31 ft. Outlaw easily pulls a Jeep Wrangler. The main thing is to keep up the RPMs when going up a grade, under those conditions I do not recommend using the cruise control. Other then that just give yourself enough clearance when passing and motor on!
MrZip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:00 PM   #10

I can't see why a 2003 e450 would have any less towing capacity then a 2016 e450, other than the hitch which is bolt on and i'm not sure that would make any difference pulling a dingy at 5500 or even say 6000lbs 4 down . Someone will have to show me the difference in the frame or hitch that makes it a 7500 lb towing capacity.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog View Post
I can't see why a 2003 e450 would have any less towing capacity then a 2016 e450, other than the hitch which is bolt on and i'm not sure that would make any difference pulling a dingy at 5500 or even say 6000lbs 4 down . Someone will have to show me the difference in the frame or hitch that makes it a 7500 lb towing capacity.
You would have to ask Ford. In 2003 the highest GVWR for an E450 was 14,050, while the highest GCWR was 20,000#. Most class C builders back then were rating them to tow 3,500#, or maybe 5,000#.

Tags
tow, towing