Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2015, 10:31 PM   #1

3M Clear Film for Overhead Bunk Water Protection

My 1984 Fleetwood Jamboree leaks a bit around the front two overhead bunk windows. I've removed and resealed them but they still leak. I'm thinking about purchasing some bulk 3M clear film - 8 mil, clear film with adhesive backing (designed for applying to the front of cars for bug and rock chip protection). My bunk is one piece fiberglass and I would apply a panel of this stuff across the entire front, windows, weatherstripping and onto the fiberglass at least 6" to 8". Has anyone done this already? I figure if I can keep water from getting to the windows then I can keep the water from getting inside.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 10:54 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Do you have ICC lights across the front? They could be the source of your leak. I'm not sure your plan, to put another layer across the front, is the wisest way to stop a leak. The extra layer could just allow the water to travel and leak in new spots. If it's been leaking over time, you might have rot or mold issues in the structure around the windows.

How did you reseal the windows? Did you use butyl rubber tape or caulk to seal the window frames back in the openings? Silicon caulk almost always fails and it's almost impossible to get anything else to stick when the silicon fails.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Do you have ICC lights across the front? They could be the source of your leak. I'm not sure your plan, to put another layer across the front, is the wisest way to stop a leak. The extra layer could just allow the water to travel and leak in new spots. If it's been leaking over time, you might have rot or mold issues in the structure around the windows.

How did you reseal the windows? Did you use butyl rubber tape or caulk to seal the window frames back in the openings? Silicon caulk almost always fails and it's almost impossible to get anything else to stick when the silicon fails.
I do have the marker lights over the windows. I've unmounted each of them and resealed. I feel pretty confident they are not the source of my leak.

Replaced the existing butyl with new (same color/tackiness) butyl. Used silicon caulk under the black molding between the glass and the molding.

I had to replace a good size piece of the bunk flooring due to rot where water settled and couldn't get out. Chased the rot a bit but the side panels and roof are intact. I'm glad my bunk is one piece fiberglass.

The windows just weep, specifically between the glass and the metal frame during a rain, enough to dampen a towel over a couple of hours placed just below the windows.

This 3M stuff seems like it might just prevent any water from getting to the windows. As long as my assumption is correct (the windows are the source of the leaks) covering them completely in a shield of think flexible plastic should help.

Just looking for suggestions on alternative ways to prevent leaking since it seems most bunk-overs leak in these older models. Hadn't seen anyone post about using this material in this way. May just give it a try since the plastic is 100% removable due to it's intended use on car paint finishes.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:54 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Might not be worth it, but any chance that you can find new windows on EBay that might not have the problem? Alternative for permanent - could you have them removed and fiberglassed in? I'm seeing that many C manufacturers on new models are simply not having any windows in the bunk area.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:52 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to ksrow
Have you looked into Plasti-Dip? It is a spray on rubberized paint that comes in clear as well as color. You can do it yourself and if you don't like it or want to change it, it just peels off in one piece. Go to Youtube and watch some of the videos.

Tags
water