Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
Appalachian Campers
'77 Coachmen RV?

i am thinking about buying a old rv from 1977. roof leaks,fixer uper,new 440 motor, dodge coachmen 22foot

knox69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2009, 01:52 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Be aware that some of the chassis parts such as brake rotors and other components are no longer available for the old Dodge chassis. Also you will be spending at least as much time repairing as you will get to use the coach. If the roof has been leaking, it could have some serious issues that you may not be able to easily or cost wise repair. There are many units for sale right now and if you look you can get some unbelievable deals. Good luck and keep us posted.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
You have two options.....spend a bunch of money and time working on a labor of love, or spending that same money, buying a newer RV that won't require that much labor, and spend your time camping and going places!!

If you go to RV.net, there is a thread about a guy who is doing what you want to do...and it's been over a year since the "project" began, and right now, he's basically got a flatbed truck, with an open van front. It will be at least another year, before he gets this done. He's got a TC, and a boat, so he's not rushing on it...spending more time right now, trying to get a building set up to store/work on it.

Malcolm has a huge following, of which I am a member.....but that is because we each have a desire to do what he is doing....but I am also realistic enough to know that it is a project that I probably wouldn't finish, and one that I would waste time on , when I could be out in my RV.

Buying a used RV is a good thing....you avoid the depreciation that comes from a new rig, but going back 30+ years, you are inviting too many problems. Remember, you are probably hoping to take your RV to very remote place, and go on some great adventures....having something that will be questionable at best, and almost impossible to find parts for, when you get "out there" makes a good argument for getting something in the 10-15 year range.

Just my opinion, and I hope that if you decide to go for it, you at least keep us posted, with lots of pictures.....
Bill & Claudia and the Paps
Wilmington, NC Pictures of the Paps
2000 Winnebago 31C FMCA# 407293
PapPappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
Appalachian Campers
'77 Coachmen RV?

500.00 for the rv. old man is 85 years old,the rv seating in the yard under a barn. fix the roof, i have the paper work for the motor, new motor and trans. motor/trans was put in 2004. i run a maintenance services here,so fixings it know big deal.a/c does not work? going to the mountain the fall. kids would like to see some snow this years? smokey mountain snow?
knox69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
Knox one of the best times I have had in my 68 years is when I rebuilt a 24 ft coachman TT for my son,,I set it rite beside the house and looked for a good place to start the tear down and I just dove in,,,I took me abt 3 months to do the job but wht a fun time I had We went to H/D and bought the material ,,,2x4,,2x6,,2x8,s and a lot of luan 1/4 inch . I was suprised that the appliances need very little repair but we done all that ourselves with little cost,,,We only had the 400.00 we purchased it with and abt 200.00 in materials...It really looked greta and was a very vunctional unit when we finished...sooooo I say go for it it cant be in any worst condition that our rebuild we even re done the roof and complete ceiling rebuild,,,,,We ttore the bath room completely out and rebuild it also using the old appliances but you will be suprised to see what a little fusion paint will do to the plastic appliances,,,So go fot it my friend and pls keep us posted...ps a good table saw will really come in handy for the cabinet rebuild ..I wished I lived near you for I would help you if you asked,,,Its a great time....good luck Terry
tboss619 is offline   Reply With Quote