Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2015, 01:05 PM   #1

78 Dodge Rehab Project

Just purchased a very cheap 78 dodge rv built from George boy manufacturing back then. I have the manuals, they came with it. I drove it 3 hours home so it runs and drives. It even got about 8 mpg on a carb that seems rich and yet bogged mid throttle. It's a dodge 360 with the original holley 2bl. I got the 8mpg while driving over the mountains on i 68 in md. So that's a good sign for the motor.

There one place on the outside that needs a attention for the wood, but overall it needs rehabbed. It has a oil leak I think at the intake manafold, but we will find out soon enough.

previous owner addressed some roof issues outside but not inside. This was reflected in the price. Also tires needed so that was also reflected in the price.

I hope to post steps as I work on this beginning with the motor issues.
skyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
We had one slightly newer, 1984 w/440 on the dually chassis. Vent leaks went unaddressed for far too long and we had to gut it and start over. By the time we were done you would be hard pressed to find a new rig with better features for the money at the time. Lots of good times in that rig. It live on with a new young family enjoying their 1st RV.

Good luck with yours.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:15 PM   #3

well not going to gut all of it

Not going to gut all of it just the wall and ceiling in the back bathroom. The vent fan was the culprit it was addressed but interior was not fixed. The ply in there is bubbled. just looks bad. I also need to address a side panel in the same area so its easier to gut the bathroom and fix all at once. The framing is still intact. The floor is good and solid. The chassis is why I bought it, just was in great shape.

So far I have tested the water system, found one bad joint. Pump working great, but the water heater is working but I am having two issues with it. I am going to replace the burner pipe (easier enough) but the drain fitting leaks.

Anyone know how to remove the fitting so I can change it? IT does not just unscrew does it?

Electrics check out I can run from ac just fine for all things. Propane tank is solid and was almost full when I bought it. Furnace and stove work fine. I am going to be adding the aux battery as soon as I get some new wire from the store.

My goal is to get the tare down done soon but fix the motor issue up when I get the parts delivered. I first though that I was loosing oil from the head gasket but the more I look at it I think its the intake manifold gasket leak and some valve cover leaks too, but I need to degrease it first to get a good read on it. I know its a slow leak it did not kill me with oil smell either. is that old dodge 360 prone to intake oil leak.

Side note I need a few odd items, I need a plug cover for the ac input, Just the flap. I also need to locate this aluminum Faulkner awning bracket from the late 70s early 80s one bracket is broken bottom bracket. Unless I can use a set of other ones. Anyone know? I found them online cheap but I am not sure if they interchange.

That should keep me busy for now. My goal is to get it done by mid july or sooner.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:28 PM   #4

picture

This was taken after pulling her in the drive

Old 03-31-2015, 10:27 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
If you have has much fun doing yours and have as much fun using it as we did you're in for a treat.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:21 AM   #6

sarcastic?

was that sarcastic?

I know I am in for a world of work I am waiting on parts so I am doing the rear corner leak rehab while I am waiting, Getting the wood cut tomorrow.

I do need a bracket for the awning, its a Faulkner frame but I need the vehicle side bracket. Here is a picture of the good one. The other is missing an ear.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:08 AM   #7

Also asked on other post, how high should my acceleration pump be set?
Old 04-03-2015, 06:01 AM   #8

update

Just an update propane heater died. Won't spark, it's getting gas and the air so I know the fan pressure us tripping the switch but no go. Connected to ac and battery is charged. It was working fine until yesterday. Cleaned and adjusted electrodes no change, and no spark.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #9

just put some new fuel filters in with the new fuel pump. Making progress.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:03 AM   #10

Update, got mad at keys, I had 6 different keys for 6 locks around the old 78.

Started ripping them apart to rekey them to one key. I should have taken pictures but I forgot.

I had one lock that did not work, although I had the key it would not turn. Lucky for me it was an unlocked one. It started the whole process. Found a few national locks (cabinet ones) that had interchangeable tumbler pins with the Hudson locks on my 78.

After stripping all the pins out and sorting them by the sizes (its easier than it sounds), I picked the one key that I could use all the pins to make all the compartment locks work from the one key.

Here is an example of a fit and not fit key.

So the one on the right does not fit the one on the left is smooth. Those aren't my rv locks but they work for an example.

WARNING! Don't loose the springs, replacements will be hard to get.

Once stripped you can put the key in the lock. taking a tumbler in the lock upside down, and using the lock cylinder as a guide for what will fit. the break (or hole in this case) should line up the outside of the cylinder see picture, it should sit a slight bit above due to reversing the contour.

After you figure out the position of the tumblers, reassemble the lock cylinder (don't forget the springs you were careful not to loose.)

Your result will look like the other one in the first picture, all the tumblers line up flush and will function with the key.

I was lucky that most of my locks were able to change over to one key by moving the tumblers around to match one key. I did have to switch one whole lock assembly for another one that I keyed in the same way to make it also the same.

Result is I now have one key for all compartments, one RV door key and one chassis key.

Now with only 3 keys, less bulk and weight in the pocket = More happiness.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
Great project wish I had someone like you to help me with my 1975 Barth class C. Grandson is doing a extreme tune up on it now, but I need someone with rv knowledge for changes inside. keep posting and enjoy. When ever I pull into a rest area or campgrounds men will come over and ask what is it??? lol
Old 04-12-2015, 09:36 AM   #12

This is my first rv project, I just don't like to toss out anything that can be fixed. Luckily most stiff from the 70s was made when things still were fixable and not just disposable.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #13

Got Some really bad news the other day. Apparently the water leak was there longer than we figured. It has damaged key points in the rear corner. the whole side of the bathroom is gutted and now I am slowly replacing the damaged wood. I can't see how this has not fell appart in the corner. anyhow it going to be weeks to get this fixed correctly. sorry no pictures for now it's a mess and I forgot to get a before picture. for now I have one side braced and one side secured. The biggest area is about 4 foot long. Luckily the floor is still there and there is most of the rear wall intact. guess that's why it was so cheap. The owner before me claimed they knew nothing about the bathroom and only used the rv for its beds kitchen. such is the cost of learning.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #14

Well at least it will be repaired right and be solid when you're done.

Tags
dodge