Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-01-2015, 07:55 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 13
8000 QD generator

Purchased 2008 Jayco Senaca with 8000 QD Onan. Worked during the walk thru but now I try to start it and all it does is click. I am sure it is me. Haven't started it for 6 wks.
__________________

__________________
califca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 08:16 PM   #2
Member
 
HikerMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 43
Very possible your house batteries are dead - too dead to turn the generator over. We bought an 09 Seneca last year. If I let it sit too long the batteries lose too much juice and can't fire the genny. Try having somebody hit (hold down) the white crossover button on your dash to bridge the chassis battery while you hold the generator start button - that's what I have to do. Chassis battery has plenty of juice and fires up my generator every time.

I'm due for new house batteries, I guess, but holding off until spring for that cash outlay...

Good luck.


Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
__________________

__________________
HikerMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:30 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 13
Thank You. I will try that. I know when I connect the house batteries the interior lights come on fine but maybe not enough juice to start it.
__________________
califca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:46 PM   #4
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by califca View Post
Thank You. I will try that. I know when I connect the house batteries the interior lights come on fine but maybe not enough juice to start it.

Try starting chassis engine first and letting it run 15 minutes first....the alternator should put enough charge in the batteries to start the generator.
__________________
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:23 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Try starting chassis engine first and letting it run 15 minutes first....the alternator should put enough charge in the batteries to start the generator.
I will try that. Thank You. Just wanted to get it started to exercise it. Don't really use it because we don't do any Boondocking.
__________________
califca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:24 AM   #6
Member
 
HikerMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by califca View Post
Thank You. I will try that. I know when I connect the house batteries the interior lights come on fine but maybe not enough juice to start it.
Yep - when I reconnect the batteries at the disconnect, there is enough juice to run the lights for the most part in ours as well, but not enough to spark the generator - you can hear it trying, but it just doesn't turn over without the extra kick from the chassis battery.

If you start the engine you'll get enough power after a minute or two - I have done that as well, but I have gotten mixed feedback on whether it's healthier in the long term to run the diesel for 10-15 minutes (where it never really gets up to a good temp) or let it sit dormant - I lean towards not starting it unless i'm going to be taking it out and getting it warmed up to burn off any condensation that might form in the exhaust, etc. I've seen people do it both ways, so not sure what the best answer is, but thought i'd mention it.

Best to run your generator monthly or so under load to keep it in prime condition even if you don't boondock - let it sit too long, and when you do want it, it's not going to work well. I try and run it once a month - winter I run the microwave for 10 minutes to put load on it, summer I run the A/C. Just part of the maintenance process. almost all of our camping is at a campground with full hookups, but there have been times we have used it driving down the road to keep the back of the rig cool on a hot day, and i'm glad it always fires up.

Good luck! We love our Seneca, i'm sure you do as well!
__________________
HikerMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:48 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerMichael View Post
Yep - when I reconnect the batteries at the disconnect, there is enough juice to run the lights for the most part in ours as well, but not enough to spark the generator - you can hear it trying, but it just doesn't turn over without the extra kick from the chassis battery.

If you start the engine you'll get enough power after a minute or two - I have done that as well, but I have gotten mixed feedback on whether it's healthier in the long term to run the diesel for 10-15 minutes (where it never really gets up to a good temp) or let it sit dormant - I lean towards not starting it unless i'm going to be taking it out and getting it warmed up to burn off any condensation that might form in the exhaust, etc. I've seen people do it both ways, so not sure what the best answer is, but thought i'd mention it.

Best to run your generator monthly or so under load to keep it in prime condition even if you don't boondock - let it sit too long, and when you do want it, it's not going to work well. I try and run it once a month - winter I run the microwave for 10 minutes to put load on it, summer I run the A/C. Just part of the maintenance process. almost all of our camping is at a campground with full hookups, but there have been times we have used it driving down the road to keep the back of the rig cool on a hot day, and i'm glad it always fires up.

Good luck! We love our Seneca, i'm sure you do as well!
Thank You . Good luck to you as well. This is our first and we really have enjoyed it. Trial and Error. Trying to get it as I go. Thanks for your advice.
__________________
califca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:58 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
CapuTech's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: League City, TX
Posts: 183
The other thing you can try is priming the fuel line. The clicking may just be the pre-heating which can often take 20-30 seconds. But if there is not fuel, it may need priming. To try that, just hold the switch in the off position for 30-45 seconds. That primes the fuel line and filter. Then trying starting it again.
__________________
The Engel Family
2015 Dutch Star 4312, 2015 Ford Explorer Sport with AF1
CapuTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapuTech View Post
The other thing you can try is priming the fuel line. The clicking may just be the pre-heating which can often take 20-30 seconds. But if there is not fuel, it may need priming. To try that, just hold the switch in the off position for 30-45 seconds. That primes the fuel line and filter. Then trying starting it again.
Maybe I am doing this wrong. Do you push down to prime and up to start or visa versa on the 8000 QD. They didn't walk me thru on the generator and I don't have a book. Stupid question I Know.
__________________
califca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:05 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
mfire1339's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Glendora Ca.
Posts: 1,344
I have a gas onan and yes down to prime and up to start.




Mike
__________________
2004 Monaco Monarch
Blueox, SMI, 1990 Wrangler YJ
mfire1339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:11 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapuTech View Post
The other thing you can try is priming the fuel line. The clicking may just be the pre-heating which can often take 20-30 seconds. But if there is not fuel, it may need priming. To try that, just hold the switch in the off position for 30-45 seconds. That primes the fuel line and filter. Then trying starting it again.
Maybe I am doing this wrong. Do you push down to prime and up to start or visa versa on the 8000 QD. They didn't walk me thru on the generator and I don't have a book. Stupid question I Know.
__________________
califca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:45 AM   #12
Member
 
Garrette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 51
You have low house batteries and Down to prime and stop. Should be a red light that will illuminate when primed and running. May need to prime multiple times.

If it's like my 4000. We do not boondock but have used it on multiple occasions. Over night at Flying J's, at son's house, on the rode for house AC. Those things are built to run so, run it every month or use it while traveling for a couple of hours. The more they run, the better they start and run. Just do your maintenance and a running genny adds to resale. A dead genny will bring the resale value down.
__________________

__________________
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
generator



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with generator cimplexsound MH-General Discussions & Problems 26 08-28-2015 01:31 PM
Onan Generator pump replacement DIY... error code 17 Redridge Palazzo Motorhomes 11 08-24-2015 10:06 PM
Cat 8kw Generator issue redbaron73 RV Systems & Appliances 11 07-31-2015 05:06 PM
Onan Generator Problem - code 37 Shake Thor Industries Owner's Forum 2 09-05-2014 05:45 AM
Onan Generator too hot??? 2Bargos Class A Motorhome Discussions 1 06-15-2014 10:41 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.