Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2013, 06:56 AM   #1

A/C and Generator

When the temp gets to the set temp the a/c unit kicks down until it gets warm inside camper then a/c kicks in again. The trouble I am having is when the a/c kicks down it kills the genny. I have replaced the original thermostat with the same but new version thermostat,and still shuts genny off. Any ideas of why or what I can do to fix this problem. Thanks (1998 coachman Santara)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abecar9 View Post
When the temp gets to the set temp the a/c unit kicks down until it gets warm inside camper then a/c kicks in again. The trouble I am having is when the a/c kicks down it kills the genny. I have replaced the original thermostat with the same but new version thermostat,and still shuts genny off. Any ideas of why or what I can do to fix this problem. Thanks (1998 coachman Santara)
Don't know, but have you tried setting the fan setting on " on" rather than auto so when compressor kicks off fan is still running? Maybe it's some type of problem where gen needs a load to keep running. Good luck.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like an over-rev problem. When the A/C load drops off, the genny over-revs and kills the motor. Get your model number and D/L a manual for it. It should be an easy adjustment.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #4

Charlie, What model genset is it? One fairly common problem is the governed speed (RPM) of the genset - if too fast the Hertz output will be higher than normal (65HZ or over) and the controller assumes a problem and shuts down the unit with an overspeed error. With the load of the A/C unit(s) the generator RPM is lower thus keeping output under 65HZ until the A/C compressor(s) turn off. Onan/Cummins gensets use a polling method to check for HZ output periodically once triggered - I don't remember the exact timing they use, but it takes a few seconds or so of being "overspeed" to trigger a shutdown. Once you post the model number I can help you retrieve the error code(s) that are being set and can help you resolve it.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #5

cummins E120339593 I believe an elan
Old 09-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #6

Onan genny
Old 09-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Onan genny
That's the first step. Now you need to know the exact model number of the unit to get the specific documentation.

http://www.cumminsonan.com/cm/support/id/
Old 09-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #8

it is a RV QG 4000/mod # 4kyfa26100L
Old 09-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
it is a RV QG 4000/mod # 4kyfa26100L
Here's the Owners Manual.
RV QG 4000

This will explain the faults codes. The problem is there are a few regarding overspeed, so check the fault code the next time you have the opportunity to duplicate the problem. This will give us more specifics on the exact problem. What we need is the Service Manual which will explain the procedure to fix the problem. So far I cannot find one online that is free.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #10

Thanks a ton for the help CLYON51 I will check the code deal tomorrow
Old 11-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #11

Smile a/c generator problem

my question is do you have otherloads for the generator? if nothing else is loaded up on the generator it may be shutting down. the fan on the a/c unit, whitch is all that runs after the compressor shuts down is only about .2-.4 ampes. load that generator up, refrig. lights,a/c TV's and see what it does.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmaster View Post
my question is do you have otherloads for the generator? if nothing else is loaded up on the generator it may be shutting down. the fan on the a/c unit, whitch is all that runs after the compressor shuts down is only about .2-.4 ampes. load that generator up, refrig. lights,a/c TV's and see what it does.
Absolutely not. Gensets continue running at zero load. The problem, as described is indicative of an overspeed error when returning to a zero load. It's no-load "run" rpm/speed could simply be set too high, it could have a governor controller failing, or carburetor problem causing it to die.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
Had the same problem and changed the oil, air and fuel filters on my generator and poof the AC wasn't a problem any more. Generally speaking you want to change the oil in your generator first time at 60 Hours (Break in fluid must be removed) then once every 100 hours or 1 year whichever comes first. Fuel and air filters to be changed every year.

Also remember in a Class C you can't run all of the accessories at the same time. Microwave and AC at the same time is enough to blow most breakers.

Tags
generator