Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2015, 04:41 PM   #1

A/C blowing out Defrost

I see that this is a common problem BUT I can't track down the right vacuum tube.

The pump is working but I can't figure out where the leak is because I don't know where to look.

We have a 1997 Ford Econoline Superduty. The cabin is a Jayco but that's not part of the problem.

I pulled the inside engine cover and tried to trace all the vacuum tubes in every direction, but I never found any breaks.

It would be nice if I had the owners manual but we're the third owners and the book got misplaced sometime in the past.

If need be I'll take a few thousand photos and see if anyone can spot the right tube.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2015, 08:54 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to Maligator
Hi. Not exactly clear on what your problem is. I have the same chassis, albeit a 98 so maybe I can help.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:07 PM   #3

The air-conditioning blows from the defrost vent by the windshield.
No matter what position the switch is in, it blows cold air, but in the wrong place.
The system is controlled by vacuum, but I can't find the tube that controls the vents.
Or am I looking for the wrong thing?
Old 01-25-2015, 01:29 PM   #4

Here is the vacuum tube area.DSC01266.jpg
I checked the vacuum cylinder and it holds a vacuum.
All I can think is somewhere there's a wire or fuse not doing it's job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01266.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	84225  
Old 01-26-2015, 07:00 AM   #5

Defrost only is the default, the fall-back position the system goes to in the absence of vacuum.

If everything in the dash is ok then the issue is supply. See where the vacuum is created, pump or manifold. The little electric pumps are notorious for failing. Thankfully though they're dead simple to change and pretty cheap.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:29 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Okay, if you have a gas engine, the vacuum is supplied by the engine. If diesel, there is a vacuum pump. Either way, there is a vacuum valve in the A C control that routes vacuum to the proper vacuum motors. You have a line off, or a bad vacuum switch most likely. But tell us, gas or diesel?
Old 01-27-2015, 05:32 PM   #7

Gas I had the blend door motor checked and it's good s now I need to figure out where the tube is broken.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:35 PM   #8

It's really great having an RV that's paid for, but then we have to fix things that are hard to find.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #9

I tracked a black tube from the engine that runs to the right and enters the fire wall. It looks as if it continues through the dash and winds up going to the switch. WOULD the switch be bad if it still shuts of the system? That's the only position that does anything, OFF or Defrost.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:01 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
You need to start by hooking up a vacuum gauge to measure the present vacuum pressure. You can then start pinching off the various branches of vacuum from the intake manifold to trace which branch has the leak. Using propane or carb cleaner to further find the leaking connection or hose.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:19 PM   #11

Thanks, This is giving me something to do besides watch TV or ride my bike or write books or,........ anyway thanks.