Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2015, 07:26 AM   #15

Another option to consider is your own insurance company, they may have an Motor Club. I have used Allstate for some ten years. Had a blow out coming back from TX, they had my back and towed me to a tire dealer. My motor home had a malfunctioning fuel pump, right in my home storage area. They towed me to the garage of my choice. My wife, on a number of occasions locked her keys in the car. I never had a question or a challenge from them.
Hollander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm not sure a typical auto insurance company would have the connections to the needs of RV owners. Proper size tow trucks, advice to give technical advice, etc.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #17

I bet you can find hundreds of threads on this subject, and most seem to be polarizing that their emergency service provider is either the best or the worst. AAA is probably the most responsive for your CAR as they seem to have the greatest number of contract locations. However, it is within their policy to transport you to a safe location and return for you within 3 hours to take you to a service location. Happened to my family with AAA, taken off the highway to a rest area, then they returned just within the 3 hour limit, and took us to town, now Saturday evening, and we could not get service until Monday. Bummer. The AAA contract, published in their magazine, states that some areas DO NOT offer RV coverage, and if you need service you will pay up front and you MAY apply for REASONABLE reimbursement.
Good Luck with your decision, and Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:15 AM   #18

No More AAA rv roadservice for us

I now have GS but would also use CoachNet. I am a 52 year member of AAA but cancelled their rv road service after a terrible experience with their tow dispatchers. Several years ago, we were stuck on I-15 in California but within sight of Stateline, NV. First, their dispatchers could not decide if we were in their Southern California or Nevada service area. Then they denied that we had their road service even though they were told by the California Highway Patrol that our card clearly stated we did. After over 5 hours on the roadedge, a tow truck finally arrived.
We still have AAA for maps and tour books only.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZDZIT View Post
I now have GS but would also use CoachNet. I am a 52 year member of AAA but cancelled their rv road service after a terrible experience with their tow dispatchers. Several years ago, we were stuck on I-15 in California but within sight of Stateline, NV. First, their dispatchers could not decide if we were in their Southern California or Nevada service area. Then they denied that we had their road service even though they were told by the California Highway Patrol that our card clearly stated we did. After over 5 hours on the roadedge, a tow truck finally arrived.
We still have AAA for maps and tour books only.
I am also about done with AAA. I lost an alternator on a Jersey highway and I knew it was the alternator. I waited about two hours in 100 degree heat with no power and trying to talk to the AAA people with everything shut down because of road noise. Finally picked up and we passed a Advance auto store and asked to have the car dropped off with me there. No I have to take you to our facility, 4 hours and $600 they put in a rebuilt alternator. I could have done it for under $100 in 20 minutes.
They have gotten to big.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:11 AM   #20

Anyone with AllState - they have a motor club as well. I have used them for years and have been very satisfied. They have towed my Class C from my home location as well as from on the road. There are a number of Plan Options - we have the Platinum Elite.
Hollander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #21

This link will tell you all you need to know about Good Sams road side service.
Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Good Sam Roadside Assistance
Old 08-15-2015, 02:09 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up North View Post
This link will tell you all you need to know about Good Sams road side service.
Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Good Sam Roadside Assistance
I looked at 4 different threads you linked to. In each case the poster got help one way or another and GS management team responded to the thread with more information, sympathy, and helped. What more do you want from a roadside assistance program? No, they aren't perfect, but neither am I, or you, I suspect. Whether it's AAA, Coachnet, Good Sam, or some other roadside assistance program they all have some issues.

A number of years ago I bought a new GM product that had 36 months free roadside assistance. My vehicle had a bad battery that would work for a while then suddenly go flat out dead. I'd charge it up and it would do it again. I called GM roadside assistance and twice they jumped me and got it running. The third time they said they'd have to tow it to a GM shop, I had exceeded my free assistance calls. I asked for where it said a two call limit, of course no one could point it out to me. Fine, off to the dealer, (20 miles one way) they checked the battery and said it was within specs, no issue. I begged to differ but of course got nowhere. Next time it died, I demanded it be towed to the dealer again. This time I came prepared with a 6" square sign I pinned on my shirt saying, "Ask me about GM service" and I plopped down in the showroom (not the service waiting area) After the dealership owner read my sign, I got a new battery and was out the door. Sometimes you just have to get the attention of the right people.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I looked at 4 different threads you linked to. In each case the poster got help one way or another and GS management team responded to the thread with more information, sympathy, and helped. What more do you want from a roadside assistance program? No, they aren't perfect, but neither am I, or you, I suspect. Whether it's AAA, Coachnet, Good Sam, or some other roadside assistance program they all have some issues.

A number of years ago I bought a new GM product that had 36 months free roadside assistance. My vehicle had a bad battery that would work for a while then suddenly go flat out dead. I'd charge it up and it would do it again. I called GM roadside assistance and twice they jumped me and got it running. The third time they said they'd have to tow it to a GM shop, I had exceeded my free assistance calls. I asked for where it said a two call limit, of course no one could point it out to me. Fine, off to the dealer, (20 miles one way) they checked the battery and said it was within specs, no issue. I begged to differ but of course got nowhere. Next time it died, I demanded it be towed to the dealer again. This time I came prepared with a 6" square sign I pinned on my shirt saying, "Ask me about GM service" and I plopped down in the showroom (not the service waiting area) After the dealership owner read my sign, I got a new battery and was out the door. Sometimes you just have to get the attention of the right people.
Ahh did I say anything good or bad about GS roadside assistance? I simply posted the link for informative purposes. Relax.