Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2015, 01:08 PM   #1

AAA or Good Sam for 24/7?

Any suggestions for a good 24/7 road side assistance company?
bugsydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Wow, you're opening a can of worms, be prepared for horror stories against all possible services! I'd suggest you carefully check what each is offering. There's Good Sam, Coachnet, and AAA, and perhaps more. Some things to consider; if you're towing a car or trailer with the RV, will the service tow the second unit also? Do they have technicians that can advise on how to get it running yourself? How far will they tow you?

Those are just a few items to consider. We went with Good Sam Emergency Roadside Assistance, only used it twice for flat tires, they did a very good job getting us help and back moving again.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:35 PM   #3

I didnt think about the car we would be towing. I guess i better do my homework.
bugsydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:52 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I haven't researched it yet, but I read here, that AAA does not provide road service for RV's. Maybe someone here can clarify.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:03 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Given the choice of the two, Good Sam, here is why.

Last time I checked AAA offered RV coverage only in selected states.

That said.. AAA may now offer in all states.. In which case the choice is yours.

AAA, Good Sam's and Coachnet all have one thing in common for the most part (AAA is a partial exception) and that is they do not actually own any tow trucks or roadside assistance vehicles.. They contract to 3rd party providers,, For example near Detroit you are likely to get Gouch and Son's towing.. A very good company with trucks big enough to tow anything you need towed.

AAA, does operate some smaller trucks and roadside asssistance vans in high population areas (Again Detroit is one such) but they also use 3rd Party tow trucks.

All these services determine how much they are going to pay.. I watched a customer get hooked up across the drive from me here at Cathead Creek one day.

First: I could have started his RV and let him drive to the repair place easily (I knew what was wring, have had expierence with it and likely could have fixed it on site) but they authorized 3 hours to tow it 30 minutes down the road.

And trust me.. The driver was going to use every one of those 180 minutes.

2 hours to hook up, 30 minutes to arrive 30 to deliver.

When I get my rig towed to the shop,, I suspect he's hook up in under 10 minutes.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #6

I have Good Sam - used them 3 times - never with the RV - they cover all vehicles in your household - and all drivers. decent service- and no issues where we wanted the tow to go
Dacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had Good Sam but left them after a disagreement about a tire change and went to Coachnet. Later found out the Coachnet had exactly the same policy.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #8

I've been an AAA member longer than I can remember and was told they would not cover my RV. I live in NY.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:06 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
It's interesting AAA won't cover an RV, while my GSERA covers my cars even when not RVing.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:19 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Seeing as how you are looking at AAA or GS, I'd go with Coachnet because I already have it. CN and GS are basically the same now.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:21 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
I just received my AAA renewal today. I have been a member for 38 years and have had the Plus Plan which covered the RV because it was the Plus Plan. Now with the renewal, for RV coverage, there is a rider that has to be added at additional cost. Did the Plus Plan premium go down because of less coverage? No. I will probably renew anyway after I check out GS and Coachnet.
Applepicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:56 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Sam or Coach Net. Not AAA. Compare the services offered carefully from an RV, toad, dolly, etc. perspective.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:07 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Call me crazy for overkill, but I have AAA, Coachnet and GSRS for another 4 months. It takes only 1 tow to pay for whoever you use, and I have had both good experience and bad experience with AAA & GSRA. Coachnet & GSRA will locate a shop who can work on your RV for you, where as with AAA you have to do that legwork yourself. I have had AAA the longest, since 1999, and coachnet the shortest, 6 months. Personally I start with AAA, but if that doesn't work out, than I go to GSRA, then to Coachnet. When GSRA lapses then I will have AAA & Coachnet. I have had only 1 minor bad experience with GSRA, but after reading about the horror stories people have had with GSRA, I opted to go with Coachnet. Only time will tell if that was a good move or not.

The upshot of this discourse is to say that you should think about having more options, so if one lets you down, the other may not.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:04 PM   #14

Do not rely on State Farm emergency service. Ran over lots of hog fire fencing on a 2 lane highway near the Idaho/Wyoming border. Dangerous situation and was on hold through 3-4 people (30 min) while they were trying to decide if we even had coverage. I wrote the President of State Farm and they responded that they contract with outside 3rd parties to do the roadside assistance and they will make sure they get more training for RVs. They absolutely knew nothing about RV towing or service and actually put us in more danger from their ignorance. Will be looking at Good Sam's--at least they know what a motorhome is!
janniemac is offline   Reply With Quote