Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2019, 09:06 PM   #1

AC defaulting from dash to Defrost

My 2019 Entegra Esteem 30X (Jayco clone) defaults to defrost periodically My warranty visit to Ford yielded NOTHING, NADA, just a hello and goodbye. They had NO idea where to start and because they just DIDN'T CARE! I am SO disappointed in them and my USELESS WARRANTY...They claimed since they didn't see the problem themselves, they needed Ford to intervene...
How many have had this problem? Is it possibly merely loss of vacuum due to driving on hills and high throttle setting? The air is COLD but doesn't keep us cool when directed to the windshield...
My chassis is a Ford E450 with, of course, the V-10. Thanks in advance.
midasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2019, 09:21 PM   #2

Loss of vacuum at WOT is a common fault for the switch to defrost ( default ) ,possible causes are .
1, Vacuum leak beyond the vacuum reservoir .
2 Defective check valve between the intake manifold and the reservoir; allowing vacuum back to the intake.
3. Under size reservoir, ( black plastic softball size under the hood ) many have added a second ( E Bay $14 ) to aide the issue. ( I had to on my 93 Dakota ).

Above the green circle in this photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0306 (640x360).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	253768  
Old 07-18-2019, 09:28 PM   #3

Good evening Pete & Mary from the west coast here in Wa. state. Sorry to hear about your extremely poor service from Entegra. I would go right up the food chain until you get to talk to someone with more clout than where you took the Esteem. As on our Monaco class A coaches when there is a loos of vacuum the dash A/C heating system defaults to the defroster mode. This does happen frequently on our diesel pushers as we have a vacuum pump to supply vacuum to the system as none is present from a diesel engine. You should have a vacuum reservoir somewhere in the engine compartment. I personally have not heard of your problem being present on Ford E450 chassis. I am going to guess that when Entegra built your unit something or someone might have done something to effect the system. I know you are under warranty from Entegra, not much help, but I would check your area for a good local Ford dealer that will do warrant work on the E450 chassis. Or if you are handy I would find the vacuum reservoir and check for any present vacuum there. You might have a hose that is not pushed on a fitting all the way and letting vacuum slowly leak out of the system on full throttle. Just a couple of thoughts since no one has responded yet to your post. If you find the problem, let us know so others here can benefit from the fix and that will get passed along to others. Hope this info is helpful and good luck! I see Skip has provided some great info also.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:49 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Call ford rv care, take the service manager for a ride and floor it so it goes to defrost. Then tell them to fix it it's under FORD WARRANTY
Quote:
Originally Posted by midasman View Post
My 2019 Entegra Esteem 30X (Jayco clone) defaults to defrost periodically My warranty visit to Ford yielded NOTHING, NADA, just a hello and goodbye. They had NO idea where to start and because they just DIDN'T CARE! I am SO disappointed in them and my USELESS WARRANTY...They claimed since they didn't see the problem themselves, they needed Ford to intervene...
How many have had this problem? Is it possibly merely loss of vacuum due to driving on hills and high throttle setting? The air is COLD but doesn't keep us cool when directed to the windshield...
My chassis is a Ford E450 with, of course, the V-10. Thanks in advance.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Good evening Pete & Mary from the west coast here in Wa. state. Sorry to hear about your extremely poor service from Entegra. I would go right up the food chain until you get to talk to someone with more clout than where you took the Esteem. As on our Monaco class A coaches when there is a loos of vacuum the dash A/C heating system defaults to the defroster mode. This does happen frequently on our diesel pushers as we have a vacuum pump to supply vacuum to the system as none is present from a diesel engine. You should have a vacuum reservoir somewhere in the engine compartment. I personally have not heard of your problem being present on Ford E450 chassis. I am going to guess that when Entegra built your unit something or someone might have done something to effect the system. I know you are under warranty from Entegra, not much help, but I would check your area for a good local Ford dealer that will do warrant work on the E450 chassis. Or if you are handy I would find the vacuum reservoir and check for any present vacuum there. You might have a hose that is not pushed on a fitting all the way and letting vacuum slowly leak out of the system on full throttle. Just a couple of thoughts since no one has responded yet to your post. If you find the problem, let us know so others here can benefit from the fix and that will get passed along to others. Hope this info is helpful and good luck! I see Skip has provided some great info also.

I'm sorry, did I miss the part of the original post about taking the coach to Entegra? Who did you talk to at Entegra?
Old 07-19-2019, 05:08 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
What Skip426 said.. (Post #2)
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:14 AM   #7

Thank you for responding! It is Ford who is in charge of the chassis warranty, and so helpless...If you start the engine, have full vacuum, and then shut it off, after 30-45 seconds you can hear when the system depletes the vacuum and the doors divert to defrost position. Since the V-10 is usually running at 70-80% power, even at cruise speed, vacuum is probably marginal anyway??? I DO NOT REMEMBER having this problem LAST YEAR on our 3000 mile Colorado trip...??? I HAVE NOT taken it to Entegra because it is a FORD issue.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by midasman View Post
Thank you for responding! It is Ford who is in charge of the chassis warranty, and so helpless...If you start the engine, have full vacuum, and then shut it off, after 30-45 seconds you can hear when the system depletes the vacuum and the doors divert to defrost position. Since the V-10 is usually running at 70-80% power, even at cruise speed, vacuum is probably marginal anyway??? I DO NOT REMEMBER having this problem LAST YEAR on our 3000 mile Colorado trip...??? I HAVE NOT taken it to Entegra because it is a FORD issue.
Couple of suggestions:
1) Post up manufacturer specific problems/issues in the manufacturer's forum, in this case, Entegra. You may get more specific comments and possibly some help from another owner, than posting in the general Class C Motorhome forum. You've got some useful ideas and encouragement here, which is good, but someone with a similar issue might not watch this forum. They might be watching the Entegra Owner's Forum.

2) Pursue this with a qualified competent Ford dealer, if you feel the issue is Ford's responsibility under the chassis warranty. Bringing the problem and angst to an internet forum may be a "feel good" thing, but isn't likely to get any kind of useful resolution. You have to be persistent with the warranty support people, as others have implied or expressed.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #9

Do a google search of the problem and you will find a very inexpensive solution to the problem. You basically bypass the original Ford vacuum chamber. Ford will charge big bucks to do this, since they will want to remove a lot of stuff for the “official dealer fix”.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
You either deplete the vacuum from prolonged WOT operation, or you have a leak. Eliminate one, and it has to be the other. Finding a Vacuum Leak 101:
1. Start engine.
2. Spray vacuum system with starting fluid.
3. When engine revs up a bit, you have found the leak.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:09 AM   #11

avfordguy: Not quite that simple! Takes a LONG TIME to default to defrost! Must have a large vacuum accumulator. So yesterday I ordered a 12 volt vacuum pump and check valve to try to put this behind me. The only "hill" near me is a 6.5% grade on a long bridge but that wouldn't do it...:( Thanks ford guy!

Tags
dash