Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #1

AC for Fridge while Under Way

There was an older thread speaking to battery drain from the fridge when using ac power and not on shore power. It went on to say they would use propane while under way. No mention of using the gen to get ac for both the fridge and the coach air which is what I do while under way. Is there a problem with this approach? Am I correct in saying you must use the gen to have coach air while under way? This does save your propane for primitive use.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #2

Unless it's very hot, or you're stuck in traffic, or your m/h is very large, leaving the rearmost roof vent open an inch or two and running the dash a/c the entire coach should stay quite comfortable without the coach a/c system on.

The genny will burn probably 1/2 a gallon per hour while running, at today's rates, that's probably $20 for a 10 hour drive. I doubt your fridge would burn $20 worth of propane in 2 weeks of running.

The fridge only burns the equivalent of a candle flame of propane, mine will run for weeks and the gauge barely moves.

Just my $0.02 worth......

Old 11-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
There is no problem with running the generator while driving. Many people do it to stay cool with the rooftop A/C's. The dash A/C systems never seem to be enough especially when the temps get into the 90's and over 100F.

The added benefit is if the fridge is set on Auto, it will switch back to AC mode when the generator starts up.

You can also run the fridge on AC using your inverter while driving but I don't recommend that approach. I tried it once however, when we stopped for a rest and to eat, I forgot to switch it back to LPG mode. When we returned to the coach, the fridge had drained the batteries to the level that the generator would not start. I had to start up the Cummins just to get the generator running.

I now have the inverter set with the AGS function so the batteries will never go below 12 VDC.

A lesson I quickly learned when I had the Norcold aka NotSoCold. Fortunately, that fridge is long gone and we are now extremely pleased with our Samsung residential.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #4

Quote:
This does save your propane for primitive use.
In our motorhome, the fridge and water heater use very little propane. We run the generator 95% of the time we travel - 5% of the time the fridge will run on gas, and the fridge will use gas for a couple of days each year as it cools the fridge before our annual trip starts. Our gas furnace, since 2007, has run probably a total of three hours since the mh was new. We live in the unit six months or so a year. When we park we typically stay a month or more and have metered electric, so we use gas for the water heater. Since 2007, when we started traveling 1/2 time, we have used $37.00 worth of propane.

Quote:
genny will burn probably 1/2 a gallon per hour while running, at today's rates, that's probably $20 for a 10 hour drive
We kind of feel that we will do what it takes to be comfortable. If it takes a half gallon of diesel per hour to keep temperatures where we want, then that is what we do.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycletwo View Post
There was an older thread speaking to battery drain from the fridge when using ac power and not on shore power. It went on to say they would use propane while under way. No mention of using the gen to get ac for both the fridge and the coach air which is what I do while under way. Is there a problem with this approach? Am I correct in saying you must use the gen to have coach air while under way? This does save your propane for primitive use.

Is your generator propane or gas (gasoline or diesel)?

Propane generators use far too much propane to make AC power to run the frig compared propane "flame" power. As others have stated propane frig sip propane
Showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #6

All good thoughts. I have a gas gen. As it is my wife that decides if she needs the roof ac while riding in the coach, we end up using it all the time while under way. I believe 0.5 gal/hr is about right. My fridge runs on automatic and can run on ac or propane.

Tags
fridge