Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2015, 09:48 PM   #1

AC unable to cool coach

We have a 2007 Itasca 29b class C with two slides. We live in Tucson but travel throughout the west. No matter where we go, no matter what the outside temperature, the AC just can not cool the coach interior. I have checked the operating current and voltage and both are normal. I measured the temperature difference between the inlet air in the ceiling and each of the eight ducted outlets in the ceiling. The maximum difference that I have measured is 18 degrees F (typically 14-16 degrees). Oddly, after the system operates continuously for 2-3 hours the maxim difference drops to about 10 degrees.

On sunny days, it is often cooler outside the coach than inside even with all windows covered with 1/4 inch foil covered "bubble" insulation.
Any ideas? We are tired of being hot!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2015, 10:33 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My initial thought would be that your coach lacks adequate insulation in the walls and ceiling. One of the things we did in our coach was to buy foam insulation board at Lowes and cut it to fit in the top and back of all our upper storage cabinets. We also made foam plugs for the ceiling vents and shower skylight. Since our AC is roof vented plus it has openings to just dump straight down into the coach, on hot days we do not use the ducts but just dump straight into the coach. After that about the only other options you have is buying a larger AC unit.
Since you stated that after 2-3 hours the temp difference is less you may want to check to see if your coils are freezing up (always run fan on high not automatic). Also cleaning coils both inside and outside the coach may help.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #3

New finding!

Thanks for response.

Here is something that I just found while writing this response. I looked at the inlet side of the evaporator coil and the entire upper half of the evaporator is iced over while the entire lower half is about the same temperature as the warm inlet air!

I am no HVAC expert but this is clearly not correct. Any idea as to why exactly one half of the evaporator would be freezing while the lower half is not even cool?

We do always run the fan on high speed and I did previously clean both the inlet and outlet side of the evaporator cool.

I think that between the icing and the drop in temperature differential over operating time the symptoms would point an AC person in the right direction.

Thanks

Jim

Thanks.

QUOTE=bdpreece;2664120]My initial thought would be that your coach lacks adequate insulation in the walls and ceiling. One of the things we did in our coach was to buy foam insulation board at Lowes and cut it to fit in the top and back of all our upper storage cabinets. We also made foam plugs for the ceiling vents and shower skylight. Since our AC is roof vented plus it has openings to just dump straight down into the coach, on hot days we do not use the ducts but just dump straight into the coach. After that about the only other options you have is buying a larger AC unit.
Since you stated that after 2-3 hours the temp difference is less you may want to check to see if your coils are freezing up (always run fan on high not automatic). Also cleaning coils both inside and outside the coach may help.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-24-2015, 07:49 PM   #4
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
if you see that frost line on the evaporator, thats a sign of under serviced coolant level. (frost on one part of the coil and clear on another)

Frost forms where the coolant flashes from liquid to gas. It should not do that in the evaporator.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:44 PM   #5

I had the same problem with my 13 year old AC.
Have you ever cleaned the coils?
Get the spray form from HD and follow the instructions.
It can be a little messy and you need to vent the coach.
It fixed mine.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:45 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Low coolant charge.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:59 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How many air conditioners do you have? If just one that is part of the problem.

Do your slides have awning covers? The covers block a lot of the suns' heat.

Do you have a mask to cover your windshield? Makes a big difference if the sun is hitting your windshield.

You could also try not running both slides out on very hot days.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:51 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
How many air conditioners do you have? If just one that is part of the problem.

In a 29 foot class A, there is usually just one A.C. unit.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:41 AM   #9
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
My 13kbtu Colman has three cold air vents on the ceiling cover that really need to be open if it is real hot and humid. That extra air flow prevents icing of the cooling coil near as I can tell. Air still flows through the ceiling ducts, just not as much.

Fan on Auto…..
Old 07-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #10

Thanks all

Thanks to all who responded most helpfully and courteously regarding my Class C air conditioner not cooling.
As soon as we get back
To our home in Tucson next week, I will try to find an AC person who would be willing to install a charge port then vacuum and refill the system.

Thanks again to all.
Jim
Old 07-26-2015, 11:17 AM   #11

If you have to get new spend the extra $300 to get a heat pump model. Those cool nights and not having to use propane life is good.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Humm. a 2007.. I have a question:
When was the last time someone went up on the roof, Removed the covers, both the outer cover and the inner condenser (outside coil) cover, and gave it a good cleaning?

Sure makes mine work better if I do that from time to time. epically if I park under cotton wood trees in the shedding season Man was that thing clogged up.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:11 PM   #13

Jim. I live in Tucson and have been using Fisher RV Repair on S Country Club, between Ajo and Irvington. He's been a big help with a similar problem and his shop rate is much less than the dealerships. Let me know if you need more info.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-26-2015, 08:32 PM   #14
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
After all the cleaning etc take the shroud off the inside and inspect things. Often baffles are out of place or poorly installed allowing air to re circulate.

If your ac uses ducts in the ceiling and also has vents on the shroud then blowing directly from the vents may give better cooling.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote