Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-10-2014, 10:37 PM   #1
Thumbs up Acme tow dolly

Are there any comments, ratings on the ACME tow dolly, the one "designed for retirees"? I have a 23 ft Thor Freedom Elite and want to tow a 97 Honda Civic or a 2007 VW Beetle, both with auto tranny. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Whitsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
I never considered a tow dolly with my 22' or 24' Motor Homes, but here's some reading for you.

Have you checked your owner's manuals to see if either of those cars is towable ?
Remco doesn't have information on either one.

2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #3
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Whitsons View Post
Are there any comments, ratings on the ACME tow dolly, the one "designed for retirees"? I have a 23 ft Thor Freedom Elite and want to tow a 97 Honda Civic or a 2007 VW Beetle, both with auto tranny. Any feedback would be appreciated.
I purchased the ACME tow dolly several years ago so I could pull a Mini Cooper behind a Roadtrek camper van. This was the only tow dolly I could find at the time that uses surge brakes. However, there is at least one other design on the market now. The hydraulic surge brakes work just as advertised. I now tow the Mini behind a Palazzo RV.

Several things to mention: The tow dolly is pretty heavy. It is quite an effort for one person to pick the hitch all the way up to vertical to store in the garage. But once vertical, it takes up very little room. The dolly is about 10 inches wider than the rear tires on a Class A RV. This means you are watching the mirrors to keep the dolly wheels on the road even though your RV is on. Since I only tow the Mini I removed 10 inches from the width of the dolly, making the dolly and the RV the same width on the tires. Some boards were bolted to the dolly such that the Mini front wheels "fall" between the boards when fully on and are encased side to side with only 1/2 inch clearance. This perfectly centers the car on the dolly and prevents any cocking of the wheels on long trips. It takes me about 15 minutes to load the dolly, about 5 minutes to unload. I have the safety chains for the car permanently mounted to the dolly and have the entire set up customized for the Mini.
Mike & Sue Jones
Venetian A40, formally Palazzo 35.1
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote

dolly, tow, tow dolly