Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #1

Adding a power chip

We are the proud owners of a 2004 Ford E450 chassis Jayco Granite Ridge Class C 31' with the V10, and are concidering a performance chip, and possibly a cold air intake system. Is this a good idea, and money well spent or not. Thanks any info would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
If you're going to chip the engine, you may need to chip the tranny too. Check with a performance house to see if you need to chip both. I found out the hard way to the tune of a $1400.00 tranny bill. This was on a trk.

sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #3

Thanks for the heads up. good to know!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Having had two Banks kits I'd recommend them. More expensive? Yes, but you get a dyno tuned kit that makes the most of your engine without overstressing it. All the parts needed are included so no running around for parts. Also get the TransCommand.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I would contact Mike at 5 Star Tune. He's very good with V10s and the Ford tranny. No chips, just a re-program of the ECM.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
For the Ford V10, either Brazels or 5star do good stuff. The samed chip addresses tranny issues as well. There is a lot of power to be had, particularly on the 2 valve V10's. The chips also address many issues with the transmissions downshifting too soon, dropping out of overdrive at the site of a hill, and generally letting the engine rev higher than is comfortable.

I put a brazels ultrapower tuner on a 99 V10 in a class A, the difference was startling!
Old 07-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #7

I did the 5Star Tune on my 2008 E450 V10 and gained 5 to 8 mph on hills towing a Jeep Wrangler. Before the 5Star Tune it was a struggle to climb at 50 mph without the transmission down shifting and buzzing the engine over 4000 rpm, now it will pull the same hills at 55-58mph without down shifting and buzzing the engine so high. Wish I had done the tune sooner.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #8

"Chips" are old school. They provide one set of parameters and are not adjustable. "Tuners" are the current technology. They can be adjusted, most times "on the fly", to take advantage of or compensate for changing conditions or your needs.

In my experience, adding a tuner provides the optimum performance increases when combined with well designed intake and exhaust modifications.

Again, it's just my opinion, but installing coordinated "packages", intake, exhaust and tuner, is the safest way to go... that way, you don't have incompatible "add-ons" fighting each other.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #9

Are you guys seeing any fuel efficiency increases with the E450 V10 mods?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I can say I got a bit better with the 5 Star on my F53 V10. I don't equate it to changes in A/F ratio or timing, but to the lesser downshifting on grades.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On a gas engine, you will not get a big gain. Some will require you to run premium fuel.

A Banks kit is not cheap, but it will help. You want a system, chip and exhaust system, that are tuned for mid range torque because that is what your motorhome needs.

My feelings on the tuning for the motorhome is it is not really worth the while unless you plan to keep the motorhome for a few more years and put some miles on nit.

Ken

Tags
power