Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2016, 05:52 PM   #15

Adding cold air, exhaust and tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
^^ X2.

Drag normally isn't a huge factor at 50-70 mph, but becomes significant if you can get that MH up to around 200KIAS.

I FLY EZ

Life is short, Fly fast....

I beg to differ my friend, when you're trying to push an 8' wide by 12' high brick through the air, anything above a brisk walking speed IS a huge factor.

Don't believe me? Stick your 4" X 8" hand out the window at 50 mph and tell me you don't feel anything 'significant'........

Then multiply that by 432 ...........

The difference between 4" X 8" and 8' X 12'.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2016, 01:55 AM   #16

Quote:
The most gain for drag reduction in a MH would be that 8 ft wide by ten foot tall barn door in the back. Fill that trailing space nicely with low turbulence and this will help, a little.

All the junk on the roof and underneath doesn't help, but the air is so turbulent across the top and bottom, considerable cleanup would be very challenging.

Drag increases by the square of speed, Want to see what effects your drag reduction has, add some tufts back near the rear end of the MH and slap a GoPro camera back there to watch it.
I was under mine the other night repairing wires the dogs chewed on while chasing ground squirrels and thought about making an underpan shield to keep the dogs out. I figured it wouldnt hurt the turbulence under there.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Thank you, I think. LOL.

I'm a pilot so I deal with drag everyday, at 160 to 225 mph that I cruise at even the smallest gains are noticeable.
That was a compliment i struggle with these thermal guys all the time. I have some pilot friends too. We build experimental planes or work on them i should say. Reducing drag is a huge improvement at any speed. The Baby Lake isnt going that fast though.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:08 AM   #18

Quote:
^^ X2.

Drag normally isn't a huge factor at 50-70 mph, but becomes significant if you can get that MH up to around 200KIAS.

I FLY EZ

Life is short, Fly fast....
Id say pray for no side drafts at that speed. Haha
Old 10-07-2016, 02:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
You're comparing an aerodynamic airplane to a relatively flat-nosed box car, 50-70 MPH is a significant differential factor for the box car.
" Every 5 mph over 65 mpg can decrease fuel economy by as much as 7 percent"
You can feel the difference in turbulence from 65 up. It becomes a fight to keep it going straight. We need a RV wind Tunnel.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:27 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
On my last rv, a Dutchstar, I had installed Airtabs. They are used to break-up the airflow around the coach. If I remember right, a 5-7% fuel saving mentioned. Never noticed any improvement. What did change was the handling in a crosswind and passing (or being passed by) a semi truck. Much better! The trailing vacuum seemed to be much smaller.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:11 AM   #21

Update: with just the cold air and the tuner, we took a 200 mile trip and got 7.5 mpg. I didnt try really hard to get the best mileage possible with my driving skills. The tuner had a flash for 93 octane towing that I used. I have non ethanol 93 available locally. I haven't installed the exhaust system. Oh I was towing a 6x12 single axle trailer with 3 200 lb motorcycles also.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:20 AM   #22

[QUOTE=DennyR;3294012]On my last rv, a Dutchstar, I had installed Airtabs. They are used to break-up the airflow around the coach. If I remember right, a 5-7% fuel saving mentioned. Never noticed any improvement. What did change was the handling in a crosswind and passing (or being passed by) a semi truck. Much better! The trailing vacuum seemed to be much smaller.[/QUOTE

Are these aluminum panels you mount in various places?]
Old 10-15-2016, 01:22 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Air tabs are small plastic NACA shaped objects that attach to the surface of your coach. If they are still in business, Airtab.com.