Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2016, 08:46 PM   #1

Adding cold air, exhaust and tuner

Sorry for the long post ahead of time. I guess we will see what all this hardware does to the performance and economy. I kind of screwed up ordering all these parts. They are for my MH but considering the price I expected a different setup. I'm not mentioning any company names because I consider it my fault for not doing the research. I ordered "from the title" Ram air, tuner and full exhaust with headers. I expected, considering the price, stainless hardware and free flowing cat and free flowing muffler as well. What I got was a replacement K&N air cleaner for the "factory box", mild steel headers and exhaust with a 40lb chambered muffler. Everything was mandrel bent though but I had to use my cat..The company I ordered them from actually was a middle man but they did the tuner part and really put forth a great effort to work things out. They were kind of blind sided too on the title of the intake and exhaust kit. If I had looked at the return policy for the exhaust and intake provider i would have never ordered this hardware, AND they are one of the top 3 or 4 companies on the market. I've since did the research on that companies site and it appears only the one I got had this somewhat misleading kit title. As of now if I wanted to return this I'd have to pay shipping and take a 40% hit on 2500.00. The company I ordered all this from is stuck in the middle and have tried to help but there isnt much that can be done. I could have put duels on with straight through mufflers and an X pipe for 1/4 this price and got better results. Live and learn!! I will fabricate a Cowl induction or a ram air setup though. I've researched ram air and found nothing for a E450 Ford. The K&N cold air kit I bought separately after sending back the replacement filter, they sent will work perfectly for ram air. I took a 50% hit on the filter!! I'm going to get better gas mileage one way or another I know I should use a different MH but i got this one for a song and can afford to play a little.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2016, 09:45 PM   #2

Return the K&N aftermarket air filter! It does not out-perform the OEM filter.
That test was performed on a diesel engine, which consumes much more air than a gas engine.
The only way to increase air flow through any air filter it make the filter media coarser (read test results).
The only practical way to increase fuel mileage is - slow down highway speed, anticipate stops, accelerate slowly, etc.
It's very hard to increase mileage while driving an 8' wide X 12' high wall down the road.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:41 AM   #3

Anything you can do to help you`re engine breathe better will gain you a little more power and a little bit better gas mileage.

Keep in mind that we are talking about a motorhome, so it wont be a huge amount, but every little bit helps.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
I'm going to get better gas mileage one way or another

It will take 'X' amount of horsepower to push your motorhome down the road at a given speed, generating that horsepower will require 'Y' gallons of gas. That is a basic law of physics.

Now you can likely make small improvements in efficiency, but as Ray said, you are basically driving a garden shed, improving aerodynamics will likely net you as big, or bigger improvement.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
It will take 'X' amount of horsepower to push your motorhome down the road at a given speed, generating that horsepower will require 'Y' gallons of gas. That is a basic law of physics.

Now you can likely make small improvements in efficiency, but as Ray said, you are basically driving a garden shed, improving aerodynamics will likely net you as big, or bigger improvement.
I understand all the above. My first hope was to improbe aerodynamics. The box is too,close,to the cab doors on this one to do any mods. I'll think about,that on my next purchase. I was told it got 14 mpg by a few people:(
Old 10-04-2016, 06:59 AM   #6

Quote:
I understand all the above. My first hope was to improbe aerodynamics. The box is too,close,to the cab doors on this one to do any mods. I'll think about,that on my next purchase. I was told it got 14 mpg by a few people:(

It's not just the aerodynamics, or lack thereof, that makes a difference. As I stated earlier, the power required to go down the road is directly related to the SPEED you want to go down the road at.

The power needed to push an object through the air increases as the cube of the velocity. A car going down the road at 50 mph may require only 10 horsepower to overcome air drag, but that same car at 100 mph would then require 80 hp to do that. If you double the speed the drag quadruples.

The trick is not as much trying to make your unit more aerodynamic but rather finding the 'sweet spot' where the efficiency of the drivetrain (engine performance, gearing, etc.) versus drag are at the best possible compromise. Sometimes just doing this, and sticking to that speed, will net some pretty impressive gains in mileage.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:47 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
There were several people who told you 14 MPG? Must have been either salesmen or math challenged. I have heard of 7-9 MPG fairly consistently and the occasional 10 MPG with a tail wind but never in the over 10MPG with the V 10. You will pickup "maybe" a small gain in MPG and some HP and torque near 10% with the tuner and the headers with flow threw mufflers.

LEN
Old 10-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"Motorhome" and "Performance" are generally two words you never see used in the same sentence..

Let the discussion begin...
Old 10-04-2016, 09:58 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The most gain for drag reduction in a MH would be that 8 ft wide by ten foot tall barn door in the back. Fill that trailing space nicely with low turbulence and this will help, a little.

All the junk on the roof and underneath doesn't help, but the air is so turbulent across the top and bottom, considerable cleanup would be very challenging.

Drag increases by the square of speed, Want to see what effects your drag reduction has, add some tufts back near the rear end of the MH and slap a GoPro camera back there to watch it.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:46 AM   #10

Haha. True
Old 10-05-2016, 01:49 AM   #11

Murf, you are so correct. You sound like some of my Thermal dynamics friends!
Old 10-05-2016, 07:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Murf, you are so correct. You sound like some of my Thermal dynamics friends!

Thank you, I think. LOL.

I'm a pilot so I deal with drag everyday, at 160 to 225 mph that I cruise at even the smallest gains are noticeable.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
^^ X2.

Drag normally isn't a huge factor at 50-70 mph, but becomes significant if you can get that MH up to around 200KIAS.

I FLY EZ

Life is short, Fly fast....
Old 10-05-2016, 11:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
^^ X2.

Drag normally isn't a huge factor at 50-70 mph, but becomes significant if you can get that MH up to around 200KIAS.

I FLY EZ

Life is short, Fly fast....
You're comparing an aerodynamic airplane to a relatively flat-nosed box car, 50-70 MPH is a significant differential factor for the box car.
" Every 5 mph over 65 mpg can decrease fuel economy by as much as 7 percent"

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote