Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #1

Additional A/C

I have a 2011 Fleetwood Tioga 31' Class C and I find that the one rooftop unit barely gets by in the summer months. Is it possible to add a second unit, either roof top or self-contained floor discharge? If I don't run the generator every few hours while traveling it is hours for the living area to cool off at camp site.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #2

Smile Second A/C

I have to imagine your Tioga is 30amp so adding another A/C to the existing distribution panel would not be possible. However, provided you have a ceiling vent in the roof far enough away from your current A/C adding an additional unit is possible. Without going into great detail you have options for adding a second unit it would just depend upon your expectations and how much $$$ you wanted to invest for aesthetics. A second unit is always helpful and at 31' you are right on the borderline length of needing one. If you want more details I would be happy to elaborate on your options, but to answer your question, YES you can add a second A/C.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #3

The only available roof vent to sacrifice for a second unit is over the stove area 5 feet from the existing unit near the entrance door, or in the bathroom near the rear. As an option, the unit I have is not the largest BTU available on the market. Does it make sense to have it updated to the larger unit (does going from 13,600 to 15,000 BTU make much difference?). Also the present unit has no heat available in the roof top, do heat pumps work very well as chill chasers?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
May want to consider something like this Haier 10,000 Portable Air Conditioner - Sam's Club several companies make them. They usually require a single vent, like a clothes dryer. You can get creative on venting, window, floor, bathroom exhaust fan, etc..
Old 09-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #5

My 31 footer has the 15K A/C unit and held tolerable inside temps through the drought in iowa last year. Not sure what that upgrade would cost, as mine came stock with the larger unit. Good Luck
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a 14" square hole that you can sacrafice (or make) you can add a 2nd A/C no problem.

Recommendation.. Run 20 amp wiring (12ga) to a compartment on the exterior of the Motor home, In this space put a 15/20 amp power outlet (These have a T shaped neutral slot) and feed it with proper 20 amp wiring from a 20 amp breaker in the box.

Plug the wire from the AC into it.

NOW.. you can run ONE a/c on a 30 amp outlet.....

But you can UNPLUG the 2nd one and plug it directly into the park's 20 amp outlet, This will not trip a GFCI as cheater boxes do.

This applies to both 30 and 50 amp RVs
Old 09-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #7

I appreciate the different ways to help my situation. I'm considering up sizing the rooftop to 15,000 BTU's with a little heat added as well. Any feedback on brands to lean toward or away from? I don't know which brand unit is on now, only that it's smaller in BTU's with no heat option and ducted with a wall mounted thermostat.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm certainly no authority on HVAC but I doubt a 10% increase in cooling capacity is going to solve your problem. One unit in summer temps in a 31ft unit is probably just not enough. There are a lot of people on this forum that are not keeping cool enough with 2 units. dark exterior colors are heat magnets. A dark or dirty roof will add heat, windows allowing sunlight in, all add up. Call Tioga and ask if there is any provision for physically adding an additional unit, there may be some structure there, was 2 airs available in 2011. You can get around the electrical with a separate circuit. What is on your rear wall, can you add a household unit there? Not pretty but what's the priority?
Old 09-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
Cat

Do not use a single hose portable air conditioner.Use a two hose portable a/c. The single hose system takes air from inside and blows it across the condenser to cool the air then out of the motorhome. So the air it's pulling from the inside has to be replaced by air from some where-- it pulls its from the outside through all the seals and windows and through the motorhome. So you are constantly having to cool outside air that is being pulled in. Check it out on consumer reports. I use a two hose system portable system that I plug in to the pedestals rather to the motorhome, so I'm not limited by the motorhome amperage.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a 30 amp rig you can only run one A/C at a time. no matter what you have I have a suggestion.

You need to feed the A/C 120vac.. Do so from an "INLET" or from a plug on the end of a cord located somewhere OUTSIDE, perhaps in a basement compartment, or in my case a portal I cut in the side wall just for this job.

Also run a 20 amp (12 ga wire) line to this same area with an OUTLET you can either plug onto an inlet or plug a plug into.

Now.. when I'm ona50 amp site, as I am right now.. I just plug the plug into the outlet and my 2nd A/C works just as it did when it left the factory.

on a 30 amp site I pull said plug, use a heavy duty 12ga extension cord and plug into the 20 amp outlet on the post.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We travel in 100 degree weather a lot and always run the generator with the house air on. That way when you do get to your site you aren't trying to cool down an overheated RV.
That is one of the things we like after having travel trailers where you had to try to cool down the trailer once you got to your campground.

Twere I you I think I'd fire up the A/C when you leave in the morning and keep it going all day. It'd be cheaper and easier than adding a second air conditioning unit.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #12

I only camp in the fall, winter or spring. Much easier to heat than cool. Plus the crowds are gone. Besides that I am running a campground in the summer months. See you along the California coast the end of October.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #13

All good suggestions but I will add one: have your AC looked at to make sure it does not have a leak and is running low on refrigerant.

When I was shopping recently for a new Class C I noticed that many of the manufacturers are now putting 15,000 BTU units in the 30'+ units. If yours is 13,500 BTU then it may be a common complaint.

Now for the whacko suggestion that has not been discussed yet; Cruiseair through one of the roof vents. These are marine units made to cool boats by putting cold air down through the front hatch. You could use it to suppliment only when needed by putting it in the roof vent and blasting it in the bedroom. They are basically just portable AC units that go on the outside. I saw one on Craigslist in my area this summer for $300 and I thought about picking it up for my sailboat. Anyway, as crazy as it sounds I just thought I would toss that on the table!
Old 10-02-2013, 12:25 AM   #14

For better or worse I don't have any problems with hot weather. My body temperature tends to run about 96.8 so I'm cold sensitive. I have an airwolf heating/cooling unit with me at all times. It helps.