Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #1

Advent ac won't seal to the roof...

The 4 corners are tight (too tight, broke one but that is a diff story), with about a 1/8" space between roof top and the bottom of the ac condenser unit.

However, in the area between the bolts, there is about a 3/8-1/2" space between the roof top and the bottom of the ac condenser unit... and we are taking in water.

The "metal plate" that touches the ceiling is made of a very flexible thin metal (probably aluminum) so it doesn't provide even compression...

Any suggestions?

(I also apparently have a garbage torque wrench as well because even set at 20 lbs (the instructions say to torque it to 40lbs) it never gave an indication that I was at torque. While trying to tighten the bolts more in attempt to stop the water... one snapped.)
msimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
From my understanding, usually there is supposed to be a black/gray "closed-foam" open square gasket that surrounds the hole in the roof that the AC fits over that seals against the roof of the RV. is it possible that gasket has failed/been lost/misplaced/thrown out? I believe that gasket is about the thickness of the gap you are reporting in your current situation.

Like this...... RV Roof Air Conditioner Gasket Kit - PPL Motor Homes
jnp_macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #3

Sorry, I meant the "gap" is the foam gasket. It is compressed to 1/8" in the corners, but hardly compressed at all (it is 1/2" right out of the box) in the space between the corners.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Sometimes the cut in the roof is not adequately framed. Are the edges of the roof opening flat and supported by metal or wood framing? The top and bottom of the opening should be filled with a metal or wood square that prevents collapse of the roof or ceiling when bolting it tight. Only the gasket should compress, not the roof or ceiling. I think you'll need to remove the A/C, build a proper frame into the opening, then reinstall. You need to give it proper support to prevent future leaks, rot, or rusting. Don't be tempted to fill the gap with more foam or caulk, do it correctly or have it done.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #5

The previous AC's 'lower unit' had a steel plate, so the pressure was applied evenly. This AC's 'lower unit' is made of aluminum so I believe it is compressing the ceiling in those corners.

I'll see if adding some steel between the aluminum and the ceiling will help.

(I'm currently stalled out while waiting for some bolts to arrive. I was unable to find any locally so had to order them.)
Old 07-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #6

wow... so it turns out, it wasn't the seal at all. The roof is sagging around the ac, causing a puddle, that is deep enough for water to come in the holes designed to let condensation out...

If it was the seal, that puddle wouldn't be there

Tags
roof, seal