Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
advice on buying Winnie Brave

I have only had a volksvagon bus in the past but am needing to stay outside while I remodel my house, don't want to pay someone rent, and may like to take it locally to camp or recoup my money afterwards...dread getting stuck and needing a tow from far out and really don't want to pay for the gas to make a long road trip.. so I need advice on a deal I came across from people that might know, hence my newness to this forum. I think it is a 73 or 74 Brave and it appears to be in good condition from the outside. I am concerned about costly repairs etc but I live near a reputable rv repair place-Young Rv. If this an inherently problematic model or a bad year then I need to know and don't need a lemon. For 3750 do you think it's a good deal and what are some things I want to pay attention to when I go look at it? thanks in advance

wanderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
It has been repainted so it's possible that's hiding structural problems. Also the cabinets don't look original so there may have been water damage inside that required new cabinets. These old Winnies are tough as nails. Just look at how many Braves and Chieftains are still around from the early 70's. So the bones were sound at least at one time. I wouldn't but this one without a in depth inspection from a RV repair guy who know any work he finds to do won't be coming to his shop.
Look around some more. I think if you find a Brave or Chieftain in original condition you'll see what I'm talking about. These are classic looking coaches and I just love the paint jobs and decals of the original design.
The price isn't bad, but in that price range $500 is about all your gonna find one way or the other.
Just be careful of this one.....it's been tampered with.

1999 Tradewinds 7372 Cat 3126
Albuquerque, NM
Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Are you by chance near Young RV, Kings Mountain, NC? If so, they have an employee that does RV work on the side. He has done work for me a couple of times, reasonable. He just recoated my roof.
Marty Bowker
(704) 654-5057
RVNYORKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
Thank you Theberrys for your response. I appreciate your insight and your observations should help me if I continue to look at it in person. The lady selling it says it's a 74 minnie but I know it looks alot like a Brave to me or maybe they are called that. She is not the original owner. She says it gets 10-12 mpg, has a 318 Dodge with 60,000 miles. She also says she has it cool sealed each season. I also notices the cabinets didn't look like any I had ever seen in the original brochures and she also says there is indoor/outdoor carpet throughout. Unfortunately it is an hour and a half away in Statesville NC so I will not be able to take anyone with me. Maybe I'll offer her a low price and see what she says.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
Thank you for the info Rvnewyorkie I live a mile or so from Young RV and my father knows the owner... who is never there. They have a great reputation here. There is a new rv repair business in town that specializes in roof repairs/replacements (maybe Marty has gone into business) but I will definitely keep his number handy.