Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #1

Advise please

I am considering my first RV. Going to be for weekend family use (2 adults and 2 teen boys) and an occasional cross country trip. I'm thinking a small to medium used class C. I would like to keep the cost under $15k. I would like to hear opinions from some seasoned RVers. Thanks!
Chardah84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardah84 View Post
I am considering my first RV. Going to be for weekend family use (2 adults and 2 teen boys) and an occasional cross country trip. I'm thinking a small to medium used class C. I would like to keep the cost under $15k. I would like to hear opinions from some seasoned RVers. Thanks!
I suppose a lot depends on what type of campground you plan on using. National Parks, or RV Parks?

We went from a Class C to an A, then back to a C. We loved our A, but we do like using State and Federal parks in our area and our Class A just wouldn't fit.

If the Class C is sized right, cross country can also be fun. You just need to find the right interior that suits your taste and family.

Also, our Class C fits on our property with our home, no rental/storage cost.

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #3

Class C should suit you fine. If you are going to National Parks try to keep it under 28'. I know in the PNW our National Parks are limited on size. Most state parks are fine for size. Floor plan is a big thing and if you want slides. How old are you looking at. W/O slides you should be able to find a decent C around $15k. If you spend all your time outside like we do slides aren't as important. We have an 03 26' Chateau Sport.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #4

It took us 5 months to find our C. Craigs list and everything else I could hunt thru. Missed many a good one because we wanted to wait till the weekend to go see it. Finally a deal to good to be true, I low balled them and they took it. About $1000 worth of repairs, bent driveshaft no spare shot battery and a couple of other minor issues the first run of 1000 miles a couple of weeks ago no issues. Even the delamination was fixed for $300. Bluebooked at 16k got it for 9k the front tires are a year old the rear 2. Keep looking and have the money lined up
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #5

Thank you everyone! Very helpful!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardah84 View Post
With two teenagers (any pets?) a small Class-C would be awfully cramped, especially if it has no slides. No one would have any privacy. If you hit a few days of bad weather you may all start feeling claustrophobic. I would look at those in the 26 to 28' size. Over 28' and like someone already said, you may not fit in some of the older RV parks and CGs.

The best bet would be to take the wife and sons with you when you go looking and get everyone's opinion. Try to get something you all agree on.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post

With two teenagers (any pets?) a small Class-C would be awfully cramped, especially if it has no slides. No one would have any privacy. If you hit a few days of bad weather you may all start feeling claustrophobic. I would look at those in the 26 to 28' size. Over 28' and like someone already said, you may not fit in some of the older RV parks and CGs.

The best bet would be to take the wife and sons with you when you go looking and get everyone's opinion. Try to get something you all agree on.
Not to single any one person, but I hear these kinds of comments quite often. I still don't understand them. Do a lot of people go "camping" and just sit watching TV in a different place or something?

A lot of people still "camp" in tents, we did for many, many years. As a guess-timate I'd have to say that over the years the DW & I have stayed in a 8' x 12' for more than the equivalent of a full year. No problem.

By comparison our 24' C is positively spacious!!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #8

All input appreciated! Thank you!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Welcome to IRV2.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Chardah84,

We started out with a '96 Tioga 24-D. We were very excited to own it and had some really fun times- towing our boat up to the lake, camping for 3 or 4 days, then packing it all up to go home. That was a very sweet, dependable rig. We finally traded it in on a brand new Jamboree 31-M in 2004. (We couldn't keep climbing over eachother to get out of the corner bed in the Tioga). The Jamboree was also a kick in the pants and I loved how it looked. We got the one with the entertainment center in the cab-over instead of the bunk. In my humble opinion, I would stay with a big mfg.- either Fleetwood or Winnebago, and try to find a floorplan that fits the family. We now own a class A by Winne and have found it extremely dependable and with terrific customer support...We have had very good luck with all three of our motorhomes and have very fond memories of both our class C's. I know you'll end up having fun no matter what you buy- welcome to the forums and happy camping!!
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's great having a class c.

The size you are considering will give you the ability to get into almost any location.
You may not know Grandville Island in Vancouver B C. I can get in there with my 30ft.
My suggestion is to look at the kitchen counter space and the location of the bed. I would in my humble opinion avoid a corner bed.
Do you have a list of your " must have?"
Items and things you want?
Good luck in your search.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My DH and I traveled cross country twice in our 8' camper with 5 large dogs. Two in the truck cab and 3 crated in the camper where the dinnette space is.

If we can do that 2,adults and 2 teens can be comfy in a 24-28 foot class C. (Grin)

We currently have a 28foot C and it is very comfy w dinnette sofa queen walk around in back and queen bunk overhead.
Myself and for gal pals spent a weekend in it at a horseshow very comfortably recently..

Ours doesn't have a slide.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The class C you will find for $15K will most likely require some work. It will be an older one and before I would take it on the road, I would service the brakes, transmission, engine oil, generator oil, wheel bearings, tires if over 5 years old. Then you will need to be concerned with the refrigerator, air conditioner and water leaks and damage.

If you shop carefully, you can find a serviceable unit, but it will take some maintenance.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
You should be able to find an ok rig in that price range. Ours is a 2001 Jamboree 24D we bought in November 2011 with 18k miles and good condition. The only issue was the fridge wouldn't light consistently but was fixed at no cost by the dealer. We paid $19k then which was below book value. I see like units selling close to your range now.

We are happy with it. No slides but I didn't want that to keep cargo carrying capacity up and avoid leaks.