Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Aftermarket Hydraulic leveling system - anyone installed one?

I've been thinking about installing an aftermarket leveling system on our Winnebago Aspect 26A. We really love our MH and will probably keep it for a long time.
Has anyone installed an aftermarket leveling system? How difficult was it? I have good mechanical and electrical skills but no experience with hydraulics. Which is better, HWH or Bigfoot? Any help or tips are greatly appreciated!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not much help, but we HAD an aftermarket system installed. The hydraulic system was way more complicated than I could deal with, but you might find it a breeze. After looking at a lot of information and suggestions from my mechanic we went with HWH kickdowns. We loved them and they worked perfectly. We have since traded for a class A that has Power Gear electric jacks that I do not like nearly as well. By the way, I believe HWH now has straight down jacks for class C's. I would check into those.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #3

We have the HWH system ready to install if the dealer can ever get the electrical issues figured out. After looking at the rig (2011 greyhawk FS) they determined the kickdown would be best for road clearance. they cant start the install till the electrical problem with the rig is figured out. i will keep you posted but i am giving them until April 16 to finish everything. they started work 3 weeks ago. i am a mechanic as well but the install is more than i want to deal with as the price to install it is reasonable.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #4

Installed an HWH on my winny mini 27'. Took me several days and had to drill quite a few 7/16 holes. You need to be able to work with wireing and complex instructions. For most I would say get them installed for you. Now I love them. They arent fold downs. They stay vertical. You loose ground clearance but I dont jump curbs or ride down dirt roads with any major potholes
Old 04-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all the replies! Winnymini, can I ask what the HWH system cost you?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #6

I also had HWH installed - love em. we got the kick-down's - they work very well Ran me about $4K complete - since I live in Iowa had them installed at the factory - they do GREAT work.
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #7

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I've been thinking about installing an aftermarket leveling system on our Winnebago Aspect 26A. We really love our MH and will probably keep it for a long time.
Has anyone installed an aftermarket leveling system? How difficult was it? I have good mechanical and electrical skills but no experience with hydraulics. Which is better, HWH or Bigfoot? Any help or tips are greatly appreciated!
I installed the Big Foot single pump system on my 2001 jayco. It required 4holes drilled for each jack. You will need a 90 degree drill motor to get to the front because of the exhuaust. A battery wire to the pump. Everything is plug and play. Bought it from Rvupgrade.com
Old 04-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #8

I was wondering if anybody ever installed 4 individually inflatable airbags that could help level the mh in a limited fashion, e.g. in case of a lower rear driver side: increase PSI on the rear left back - doable?
would be cheaper/lighter than these heavy jacks
Old 04-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor4 View Post
I was wondering if anybody ever installed 4 individually inflatable airbags that could help level the mh in a limited fashion, e.g. in case of a lower rear driver side: increase PSI on the rear left back - doable?
would be cheaper/lighter than these heavy jacks
My rear airbags are seperate but my fronts work together. The fronts don't raise they just stiffen up the ride. The rears do raise. It is doable.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff
Thanks for all the replies! Winnymini, can I ask what the HWH system cost you?
If I remember right was 25-2700 from a shop in wisconsin drop shipped to Florida. It came up in a yahoo search. The dealer said it was an old listing but they would honor the price. All the info on the system was on HWH site but it was ment to be instaled by a trained pro... I had a 90°drill that was a big help. Hydralics were all labled as were the cables for the wireing
Old 04-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #11

Just put the Big Foot wireless system on my 2012 Four Winds 28Z.Got the system from Big Foot.It took me several days and many hours to install. You have find the best place to mount jacks. They also gave me two different length jacks.I had to figure out what two went where. Had to borrow a 90 degree drill due to tight spaces. I had to make a jack template to drill from the back side of the frame rail on one jack because the drill with a bit in it would not allow me to drill (to close to the generator). Went thru a couple drill bits. The frame rail was uneven in several places where I mounted the jacks.There were gussets welded to the frame rail where the frame was extended, so I had to cut small pieces of flat steel so the jacks fit flush & even to the frame. Local Home Center had the 2inch x 1/8 flat stock that worked great. Cut it with a sawzall. Then where to put the pump.When I was ready to hook up to the coach batteries,the positive cable they supplied was to short. A trip to the local auto parts store and purchased 4 gauge battery jumper cable set (cheaper then the local electric supply) and made my own positive feed line and ran it tru PVC pipe.I decided to order from Big Foot a fuse link from the battery to the pump.One front jack was to far from the pump,so the 2 hoses I had were to short.I had to go to the local heavy equiptment dealer to have them make two 5ft hoses and fittings to adapt.
So take your time, expect problems remember they are aftermarket and fit many varies makes and models.
They work great and would recommend BIG FOOT.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #12

It was sure nice on this trip to be able to pull into a site and just line up were I liked and sit in the cab and level out the MH. Sure cut down on rockin . Not to mention drifting into the lower corner of the bed. All the Water drains from the sinks and showrs now. Worth every penny. It also lifts my tires off the ground so changin one should get much easyer. Not to mention service of grease fittings and oil changes.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #13
Commercial Member

hey, if you live in illinois, why not call hwh and get a price from them to do the install right at the factory? they are just west of quad cities on I80. exit 267. its a one day job, and in needed, they have plugi ns for overnight parking.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
hey, if you live in illinois, why not call hwh and get a price from them to do the install right at the factory? they are just west of quad cities on I80. exit 267. its a one day job, and in needed, they have plugi ns for overnight parking.
Thanks - I didn't realize they were so close, about 3 hours from my home. I will check it out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
leveling