Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-26-2015, 08:30 AM   #1

Air Bag Suspension Formula

When we picked our 2011 Coachman Concorde, it was very light on "User Manuals" and I have been scouring the web to gather the info I need to be better informed. That is why I love these types of forums.

Is there an air bag formula based on the vehicles weight that I can apply to my suspension?

twonewfsnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
Personally. I'd just put on some Koni shocks. Put them on my 2008 class a Worhorse chassis. Ride and handling characteristics are like night and day.

krf9113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:34 PM   #3
If they are after market bags, i think firestone indicates 1 psi will carry approx 50 lbs. Course, that all depends on the specific bag.
3500 Ram 6.7 Cummins
Fuzion 325 Toy Hauler
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
The basic instruction is to let all the air out and measure the rear bumper height. (Don't drive around with the air bags empty though.)

Then load it up for travel, and add air until the bumper comes up to the same height.
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
air bags

I had air bags in the front when I bought my Itasca Spirit 1999 when I bought it. On the way back to WI. from SC I hit a big pot hole and blew out a bag that they call spring assist bags from Firestone. I found an RV dealer that wanted over 1-K to replace them.Went to U-tube found out how to replace them. the bags cost $102. My son and his friend replaced the 1st 1 in 1hr.& 15 min. the 2nd. 1 with just my son doing it by himself took 45 min.$1,000 my a**. But they really help with the stabelazation of the handling and ride. I hope this helps.

Jim Christensen
triker guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:51 PM   #6
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are speaking about the aftermarket Firestone air bags no less than 10 lbs. Usually around 25# fronts and 50# to 60# for the rears. Adjust up or down from there until you feel it is the best it's going to be.

If you are installing them it's best to set the adjustment air lines independent or one line for each air bag. You don't want to, "T" a line and fill two bags at once. When one bag compresses it will add pressure to the attached bag. That's not what i want to do if I'm trying to improve the ride and handling. They act like a cushion. They are also designed to level a sag/lean on one side or front to back as well.

TeJay (Tim) Auto Instructor 35 yrs (4-yrs USAF) Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/ CHF/5-Star/Koni/Centramatics * Bella- Golden/Cocker mix & Louie-The cat / All Retired
TeJay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:12 AM   #7
We have a 06 Concord 300 that came with a set of Firestone airbags on the rear suspension. To improve steering, I added a set of Firestone bags to the front. They install into the center of the coil spring. They were somewhat difficult to install. One needs to drop the lower suspension arm to take as much pressure off the coil spring as possible. Also used a vacuum pump to suck the air out of the airbag which allows one to slowly work the bag between the rolls of coil in the spring.

Also used an auto body hydraulic jack which has a powerful scissor attachment to help spread the coils. "Careful", add bracing beside the jaws of the jack. It could easily slip out and squash fingers or hand if one isn't attentive.

Found there was no particular listing for motorhomes for these bags, so chose the equivalent of an F450 chassis truck as the model to use.
I run the front bags at about 40 psi and the rear between 75 and 85 psi depending on load.

ConcordCrew is offline   Reply With Quote