Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2015, 05:48 PM   #1

Air Bags for Driveway Dip

Hi all. I have a 30' Class C that tends to sit pretty low in the tail. I recently moved, and our new house has an uphill driveway, combined with a bit of an off-camber dip as to allow rainwater to pass by. The result is the tail end wants to drag one corner when coming and going. For now, I'm using pieces of lumber to span the dip, and that works, but it's not ideal. We have a bit of a blind curve and spending 1-2 minutes shimming wood, pulling through, parking, removing wood, etc. takes longer than I would like. Plus it's just downright inconvenient. I'm wondering if rear air bags could be used to temporarily lift the back end of the motorhome a few inches as we are leaving and arriving? Any advice or experience you'd offer regarding the air bags? Since the tail overhang is pretty long, I would think the air bags could result in several inches of lifting ability.

Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2015, 10:15 PM   #2

Yes you could do that but the engineering may be too involved to incorporate safely at home with simple hand tools. If done improperly you could/will damage your air springs.

Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:29 PM   #3

I have air bags and they will work.

I also have roller wheel on the back which makes it nice when you get into these drive ways.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:28 PM   #4

TCHB, any idea how much your particular rig is elevated (at the rear bumper) when the bags are fully inflated?
Old 08-07-2015, 09:53 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Air adjustable shocks with an on board compressor might be the answer. If they make a model for the RV.

LEN
Old 08-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #6

If you go to Air Lift's site,it says their air bags might raise a vehicle an inch or two, but they are not designed to raise a vehicle over factory height. The Ride Rite site says their bags aren't intended to raise vehicle height, but to work with the existing suspension.
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #7

Good info. Thanks all.

It makes sense the manufacturers say they aren't intended to raise the height of the vehicle (or increase load carrying capacity for that matter), but i still get the impression that the rear could be raised for a short period of time without detrimental effects. But the question is just how much? I suppose it depends on the bags' overall height at their maximum operating pressure. And then the net effect at the bumper location will depend on the overhang length of the coach.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:29 PM   #8

Len, I didn't find much in the way of air shocks for an e450 MH.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:54 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
My prior rig on the E350 chassis had Firestone air bags. It indeed would add 2-3 inches to height if I filled them up to 85 lbs. Perhaps they are an option for you. I kept them at 45-50 lbs though while driving because I didn't like the bumpy ride. I wonder if you could have a rear roller bar installed. Bigfoot Class C RVs had them for example. http://www.bigfootrv.com/docs/brochu...20Brochure.pdf
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:03 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan H View Post
Good info. Thanks all.

It makes sense the manufacturers say they aren't intended to raise the height of the vehicle (or increase load carrying capacity for that matter), but i still get the impression that the rear could be raised for a short period of time without detrimental effects. But the question is just how much? I suppose it depends on the bags' overall height at their maximum operating pressure. And then the net effect at the bumper location will depend on the overhang length of the coach.
Bryan,

My C is a couple of years older than yours. I bought air bags to help my tired old springs. At around 35 psi the increased wheel clearance about an inch and a quarter. You would have to figure your overhang to get an idea of the height increase.

I bought the Airlift brand bags and would recommend against buying them. Stay with a quality bag like those from Firestone. I'm fulltime and when the bags broke hundreds of miles from my home base, I was told by the retailer that they didn't make them and to go to the manufacturer. Airlift said they didn't sell them so see the retailer. All this while sitting in a truck stop in mid-TN. Others have had better luck with Airlift's guarentee.

It all depends on how lucky you are. I found I don't want to use cut rate suspension parts.

mangy dog
Old 08-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Did a quick Google for "airlift shocks for Ford E450 ford". And got a ton of info, looks like Monroe has just what you need.

LEN
Old 08-08-2015, 10:58 AM   #12

Thanks again all. I'll heed the Firestone vs airlift advice. Regarding the roller, I don't really want to do that because I think that could still damage my driveway.

Len, I don't see any airshocks that fit the e450 SD. when you go to monroe's website, the airshock option drops off when you enter the e450 model.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan H View Post
Hi all. I have a 30' Class C that tends to sit pretty low in the tail. I recently moved, and our new house has an uphill driveway, combined with a bit of an off-camber dip as to allow rainwater to pass by. The result is the tail end wants to drag one corner when coming and going. For now, I'm using pieces of lumber to span the dip, and that works, but it's not ideal. We have a bit of a blind curve and spending 1-2 minutes shimming wood, pulling through, parking, removing wood, etc. takes longer than I would like. Plus it's just downright inconvenient. I'm wondering if rear air bags could be used to temporarily lift the back end of the motorhome a few inches as we are leaving and arriving? Any advice or experience you'd offer regarding the air bags? Since the tail overhang is pretty long, I would think the air bags could result in several inches of lifting ability.

Thanks in advance.
We had a 27 ft class c ,with the same type driveway, and used the Firestone Ride rite ones....we put the in cab controls and air compressor in right under the couch behind the driver.....
I thought I remember it lifting the rear almost 6 "...would put 100 lbs air in.......ran at 40 or 50 lbs til I got home..loved them....Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:53 AM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangy dog View Post
Bryan,

My C is a couple of years older than yours. I bought air bags to help my tired old springs. At around 35 psi the increased wheel clearance about an inch and a quarter. You would have to figure your overhang to get an idea of the height increase.

I bought the Airlift brand bags and would recommend against buying them. Stay with a quality bag like those from Firestone. I'm fulltime and when the bags broke hundreds of miles from my home base, I was told by the retailer that they didn't make them and to go to the manufacturer. Airlift said they didn't sell them so see the retailer. All this while sitting in a truck stop in mid-TN. Others have had better luck with Airlift's guarentee.

It all depends on how lucky you are. I found I don't want to use cut rate suspension parts.

mangy dog
Not to get too far off topic, but I am really sorry to hear this. We do carry a lifetime warranty and your situation should have never have been handled like it was. If there is anything I can do for you please do not hesitate to contact me. -Jeremy