Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomjo View Post
Ok I have bought the firestone that said no drilling. Not sure we're to run the air lines? Also anyone know where and if I should add a air pump?
When I installed then on our former Winnebago View, I ran the air lines, both sides, to near the generator bay. No air compressor, just two schrader valves to give them a shot of air (just like airing up a tire, but they take WAY less air volume to inflate).
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #16

I bought some cheap rubber hose at Lowes and ran the airlines inside to help prevent leaks and cuts.
safari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:27 AM   #17

My airlines were conveniently located in the dump valve bay. I do not think you will need an air pump. Once you find the sweet spot, just keep it there with an occasional short shot of air from any air source. You can even use a bicycle type pump as there is not much volume, just pressure. I don't remember ever having to add air to mine, unless I used them in leveling the coach while parked.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:52 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I added my own and installation was easy. It wasn't an overweight problem, my '90/'91 springs were just tired. The bags worked great for about 3 weeks. Ride and handling were greatly improved. Then one deflated, small hole in the bag, followed by the other the next day.

If you add you own airbags make sure you get a NAME BRAND like Firestone. Name brand bags weren't available for a Class C as old as mine.

My bags were purchased "online"-the company advertises here. I was out the money for the bags and my labor. Those nice online folks wouldn't even send me my rebate!

If I try again I'll either get Firestone bags and have the mount fabricated or get the oversize rubber bumpers. The "bumpers" would also have to be a real brand name and if at all possible from a reputable LOCAL company. Since I'm full time, "local" is relative. I would need to be in a particular arera for a few months to make sure they work. Most campgrounds (or Flying J's for that matter) don't appreciate campers jacked up with the wheels off waiting for parts!

Sorry about any typos' or spelling errors, This tablet has a tiny screen and spell check doesn't work.

Mangy Dog
mangy dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangy dog View Post

My bags were purchased "online"-the company advertises here. I was out the money for the bags and my labor. Those nice online folks wouldn't even send me my rebate!
Please let us know who you bought them from . . . might help the rest of us from making a mistake. I don't think advertising here should give them a pass on poor business practices.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:28 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Please let us know who you bought them from . . . might help the rest of us from making a mistake. I don't think advertising here should give them a pass on poor business practices.
I think its against forum rules to post the name. PM sent.

If anyone is loking for airbags I strongly recommend a name brand, like Firestone, from a reputable local retailer. Saving $150 on bags that don't even last a month is no bargain. Particularly if you don't even get the $50 rebate!

Mangy Dog
Old 01-31-2014, 06:29 PM   #21

Has anyone considered replacing the rear springs with a heavy duty pack, and or adding another leaf or 2??? It seems to me, even if they work---air bags or helper springs are sort of a band-aid for weak springs.
Ron
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:05 PM   #22

I added an additional leaf spring to each side on my 30 foot 2007 E450. I gained two inches in ride height. I had it done at a spring shop that services all types of vehicles.
In addition, I installed Bilstein shocks all around, then had it aligned at a auto collision shop that services RV's. Been very pleased with handling, ride, stability and rear overhang problems.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #23

Springs vs Airbags

Rondi,

When I first bought my 2007 Gulfstream BT Cruiser 5291B 30 ft triple slide on a E 450 chassis, it had all kinds of handling problems. Weight showed it was right at total weight limits fully loaded but, it was overloaded on the rear axel by 100 lbs. That meant that if I walked to the back of the rig it was way overloaded. I went to Ford truck service shop and they told me the only way to fix the problem was to add more springs to the rear 9 leaf package.
I complained to GS about the safety concerns of driving a new overloaded RV and they sent there people out from the factory in Nappannee, IN.
They sent the my RV over to Mor-Ryde in Elkhart, IN and added two additional leafs to the rear spring package now (11).
This lifted the rear end a couple of inches and cured the tail wagging problems I had. It also made walking in the back of the RV very stable.
I had bought a Blu-Ox rear track bar for the tail wagging and have never had to install it. I still have the factory OEM sway bars and steering stabilizer. I did replace the factory shocks with Konis and I put Firestone air bags in the front coil springs and they cured the front end porpoising .
I also added Ignalls 549 bushing to increase the Caster in the front wheel alignment and that took the play out of the steering and now it tracks like its on rails. (Check out the Harvard man's write ups on alignment).

I've got to say that addition of the two leafs made the most improvement in handling of my RV. The estimate I had from a local spring shop to add the two leafs to the spring packages before I contacted GS was about the same cost as adding rear air bags, but a lot more permanent.

Pete
purduepete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondi View Post
Has anyone considered replacing the rear springs with a heavy duty pack, and or adding another leaf or 2??? It seems to me, even if they work---air bags or helper springs are sort of a band-aid for weak springs.
Ron
Ron,

Those were my thoughts too. I didn't like the idea of adding a leaf or two because it would leave the 20 year old main leaf ends supporting a less flexible spring pack. Re-arching the existing springs was nearly the same but that still left tired metal at the very ends. I checked though and both options were 2-3 times the cost of the airbags- which of course didn't last.

Replacing the entire pack with new would have been the best idea but was more than half what I paid for the whole motor home! If you've got a newer camper by all means do the job right the first time.

mangy dog
Old 02-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #25

Thanks for the replies--I certainly did not mean to steal this thread, especially since the OP already got the air bags! I have a spring shop about 70miles away, and the one I favor at the moment in Portland, OR. both make their own springs and I suppose they buy spring packs and add to them. My rig has the stock 11 leaf spring pack (43-1339 & 5100lbs capacity). The Portland shop proposes to replace the stock pack with a 10 leaf pack (43-1339HD) with a capacity of 7200lbs and add an extra leaf if required. The heavy duty pack is available online for $305 each--so it's not cheap. Do a google on the above part numbers is you're interested.
Pete--I've read a lot here about the Caster adjustment--which I will have done once I get the rear raised. The alignment shop I have used before, said "no use doing an alignment until you get the rear end fixed, because raising the rear end will transfer some weight to the front. I have no problem with the driveability of the rig, except the steering doesn't return to straight after a turn by itself--which is because of not enough weight up front AND the Caster not being high enough. There is definately more tail wagging with the towed, and some of that (or maybe all of it) is because of the Hi/Lo drop adapter (I need to raise my tow bar ), extends the pivot point back 10". Thanks again for the replies,
Ron
Old 03-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #26

We added a leaf to our Class C 31M. Had it done at truck shop, so all new U bolts were made. Best solution, and agree with others that air bags are only a band aid on some of these coaches. The Ford e450 is already maxed out with a 30 foot coach, and with some beefed up suspension, it handles much better. It does bring up the back end somewhat, which requires a little more leveling when parking, and brings up that first step just a little higher from the ground.
Priscilla213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #27

I should have followed up on what I had done--I took our rig to Benz Springs in Portland, OR to have the heavy duty leaf pack installed. They found the main leaf, the top one which has the eyelets on each end and connects to the frame, was already a heavy duty one. So instead of changing the whole leaf pack, they added 2 leaves to both sides. It took more time (about 6 hours) to do this, but cost less. The 2 leaves added about 3" to the receiver--just right. The ride is bit rougher--but not bad.

We are still used to driving the Class A so I always take it easy going around corners. On the way home from Benz I was very aggressive going around a corner to the freeway onramp. There was not 1 bit of lean--it was like our pickup. I wish I done the same "test" before I added the springs.

Of coarse as you all know--this does not increase the rear axle weight rating 1 bit. In fact it adds weight to the rear axle which makes my carrying capacity less. The tires are the weak link now. The next step is to get Load Range F or G tires and wheels.

Ron
Old 03-10-2014, 12:21 AM   #28

My 1991 Lazy Daze 22ft on the Chevy G30 chassis had Air Lift bags installed on all four corners early on. They still work great and add a lot of stability to both front and rear suspensions.