Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Air Compressor Amp Question

Hi All,

New owner of Navion 24J for 3 weeks and have been looking at possible compressor options to tag along for emergency tire issues. Access space in lower compartments are shallow (approx 13.75 inch tall when loading stuff under access door) so that limits the choices..... pancake style won't fit at all. Found a Ridgid Tri Stack at Home Depot. It has the ability to break into smaller sections.....in fact, you can only use the motor and 'mini' tank (0.5 gal) if that's all you want to. That sounds great..... BUT....... it runs on 14 amps. Do y'all think this would cause any problems within the coach if I needed to plug in the compressor to fill up tires while out in RV (using compressor or plugged into RV) I've got 30 amp power cord with unit.

Thanks in advance. Learning a lot of info from the site here.

Leon
periopnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #2

Hello
You should not need the compressor that often, but when you do, you could use a 30 to 15 adaptor plug at the park power post, to avoid any issue with overloading any circuit in the RV , most of the RV circuits would be 15 amp, and some would be GFI protected, so direct from the post would be the best.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the reply Skip. I thought about this was while at the camp site, but was wondering about if I ever had to use it while driving, powered off the generator.

The price of the unit is less then the Viair and offers more flexibility, but if it blows breakers when starting up, doesn't do a lot of good. The link to the product is below.

Tri-Stack 5-Gal. Portable Electric Steel Orange Air Compressor-OF50150TS at The Home Depot

Thanks,

Leon
Old 08-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #4

Have you checked out the tagged threads for compressors at the bottom of this thread page. In particular the " Compressor for RV & Truck tires " postings. Lot of user input there.

List is long because it contains threads on A/C & engine driven air compressors , but several are on the 110v units we carry.
My personal Campbell/Hausfield was only $70, low volume, but the pressure is right where it needs to be. Takes about 3 mins to bring tire (275/80/22.5)from 90 to 100psi. Tops out at 120 but I don't need that much.
Safe travels.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:34 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by periopnurse View Post
Hi All,

New owner of Navion 24J for 3 weeks and have been looking at possible compressor options to tag along for emergency tire issues. Access space in lower compartments are shallow (approx 13.75 inch tall when loading stuff under access door) so that limits the choices..... pancake style won't fit at all. Found a Ridgid Tri Stack at Home Depot. It has the ability to break into smaller sections.....in fact, you can only use the motor and 'mini' tank (0.5 gal) if that's all you want to. That sounds great..... BUT....... it runs on 14 amps. Do y'all think this would cause any problems within the coach if I needed to plug in the compressor to fill up tires while out in RV (using compressor or plugged into RV) I've got 30 amp power cord with unit.

Thanks in advance. Learning a lot of info from the site here.

Leon
Hi Leon,

It is a bit pricey but I would recommend one of the 400 RV series from VIAIR. These are heavy duty mini compressors specifically built for RV's. I have the 440PRV system. This is a complete kit that includes everything you will need all in a fitted canvas case that will fit in a smaller storage bay. The whole thing weighs less than 20 pounds. It fills RV tires fast and is very quite.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:35 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I forgot to say
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I went and ordered the Viair 400PA-RV model. Not much more then the compressor I was looking at, but weighs a whole lot less.

Leon
Old 08-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought one of these for the RV - it's 150psi, so it'll handle our tires. Fits well in the basement and I've used it on the RV's 15a plugs. Gets great ratings on amazon and is not very expensive... Note, I've used crappy $100 pancake compressors before and this blows them away...
Bostitch Compressor
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor