Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2013, 05:59 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBulldog View Post
My air ran non-stop over the last trip. I had it set at 70 and outside was upper 80's. is it normal to run all day non-stop? And will it freeze up? I was concerned that I was over using it. Any info on this?
You can't really over use them, they are designed to be used. How long the compressor runs depends on outside temp, insulation and the BTU of the unit compared to the size of the coach. One AC in a 30+ft coach will run all day in hot weather.

I only had one freeze up (coils full of frost) one time many years ago. It was very humid and rather hot. We left for four hours and was plugged when we got back.

I noticed I left the fan on Low and the Temp set to Highest. This was an old non-ducted AC unit. Anyway, combination of temp setting, low fan and high humidity caused this.

In the future I always set the fan to Med or High and never had the problem again. In other words, with compressor running continuously, small air flow with lots of humidity it iced up. More warm air flow prevents the ice/frost from forming. Never had this happen with my automatic 2 AC ducted system.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #16

You can run it all day every day without problem from "over use."

If it freezes up, it is short-cycling (not enough of a time-lapse between stopping and starting.) This can be easily remedied with an electronic device from the manufacturer which is easily installed. But if it has given no problem before, it should not be a problem just because you are running it all day.
ebksafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the info!
RVBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #18

We're on our fifth MH. We always get our windows Ceramic tinted, travel with all the blinds down especially on the sun side, set the AC thermostat to 68*. You can always warm it up anytime. Build your cool early and enjoy the afternoon.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #19

I know we have learned our lesson. We went to the beach and only ran the dash air getting there. Took all afternoon for the MH to cool down. It was 90+ with high humidity. Next time we will run the air the last part of the trip on generator so we have a head start when we get there.
rcase13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
I think you might be expecting a little much from a single unit on that large of a rig.
Always try to remember that you are trying to cool the inside of a metal and glass box setting outside in the sun.
Aside from keeping the AC unit cleaned and maintained, the best remedy (and the cheapest) is to try to find sites that have at least some shade from the afternoon sun.
When we are out in our 25 footer, I am happy as long as the AC unit keeps the inside of the coach comfortable. To expect it to keep it frigid inside during the heat of the day is...well...just not going to happen.........ever.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote