Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #1

Air Conditioning

We just bought a used 2011 Thor 31 ft. Class C. Love it so far except that in the heat of the day, the AC has a hard time cooling the coach. Have window and vent covers. Gets very cold at night. Was wondering do you need to get the Freon checked on these things or would Thor have put in a unit not large enough to service the unit and if you were to replace the AC unit for a larger one, what would the approximate cost be? Just wondering if it would be worth the while / cost to look into.
Dr. Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
KIX

When in hot weather start the A/C early in the day so as to get a "head start"
To check for proper functionality measure temp coming out of duct and temp of return air. You should expect about a 20 degree difference.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #3

I assume you are talking about your roof mounted ac and not the dash ac. Start by cleaning the filter. Next, clean the inside of unit. Look on line, you-tube has some good videos for do it yourself. It's easy but be carefull not to damage the fins. A dirty unit can really degrade your cooling. I just finished servicing mine and they are running great, 11 years old, get cleaned every year and filter cleaning everytime we go out. Takes very little time.
ValleyCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #4

Your A/C unit is fairly new at two years old. It should be rated at no less than 13,500. Unless the filter is extremely dirty, the problem is probably not the A/C unit but the fact that at 31 feet you coach is at the very limit for having only one A/C unit. Coaches that are 32 feet long always have two A/C units. I suspect that you really are expecting too much from one unit in very hot weather.
ebksafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #5

What is the temp of the air you're trying to cool? Is there a heatwave where you are? Aside from the advice you already recieved, all I can add is keep the roof vents closed and insulated with foam or those from CampingWorld. Keep the accordion shades down and the curtains if any, closed. Don't be letting the kids run in and out every 5 minutes. Cook outside. Take brief cool showers. A long hot shower can generate considerable heat. Park in the shade whenever possible.

If you're going to constantly camp where it's in the 90s or have children running in and out constantly, you may want to consider adding another A/C. No one can tell you what the places where you live will charge for this. There are too many variables. You have to ask around where you live.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebksafari View Post
Your A/C unit is fairly new at two years old. It should be rated at no less than 13,500. Unless the filter is extremely dirty, the problem is probably not the A/C unit but the fact that at 31 feet you coach is at the very limit for having only one A/C unit. Coaches that are 32 feet long always have two A/C units. I suspect that you really are expecting too much from one unit in very hot weather.
I agree with this. Same problem we had with a 30' Class C years ago. 1 AC in a 30' coach in hot weather is just not enough. It helped to start early before it got hot outside. Bad news if we waited too long.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
1) The freon is typically sealed in and has no check valves. It's unusual to refill these units as their cost is typically around $600. They're kinda disposable, but also they typically last over 10 years.

2) If you have a 13.5K BTU unit, you can upgrade to a 15K BTU unit. It's about 10% more air conditioning. I did this myself once and the cost was about $600, minus what I got for the old working unit.

3) If you have a ducted system, the AC is less efficient than the non-ducted models.

4) You need to clean the filter and both evaporator and condenser coils.. Filter every month at least and coils I do every year. Cleaning the coils requires some disassembly.

5) On the duo-therm units, I've noted that people have good results insulating the metal that is over the evaporator coils.

6) Check the condition of your ducts.

7) On the road, we block the rear ducts, shut the bedroom door. We run both dash and interior AC on a 31' coach. So far it's enough.. We're in Texas.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sealed unit, if freon is low, then you have a leak. Must fix leak before adding freon. Another sign of a leak would be freezing up of the intake line. Probably just struggling with the extreme hot weather is all.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot of the newer units have very poor quality control. Check that the intake and outlet side of the unit are well sealed and not allowing bypass within the unit or where it connects to the duct work.

Check the air temps at the inlet and outlets as close to the unit as possible. The outlet should be 18 to 20 degF colder than the inlet. Any more of less could be a problem.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #10

Is there a website I can look at or does someone have a diagram/instructions on cleaning and maintaining the roof AC? I too have a 31 foot class c that is struggling to keep my rv cool. I am in Phoenix, AZ and it is in the 105-115 degree range right now. We have ducted AC. I have an IR thermometer and the walls of the rv are pretty warm inside. I am looking for options on keeping the rv cooler.
Nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
This will keep you busy for awhile:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...er&v=133247963
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quiet frankly, a single 15k A/C unit is marginal in a 31' unit. Class C's are not well insulated in the front overhead area, windshield and rear wall. Is there any way you can make a insulated windshield cover? Get the unit in the shade.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Those reflective windshield panels work really well in our rig. They cut the heat down considerably in the cab area.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
My air ran non-stop over the last trip. I had it set at 70 and outside was upper 80's. is it normal to run all day non-stop? And will it freeze up? I was concerned that I was over using it. Any info on this?
RVBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote