Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2018, 05:18 PM   #1

Airstream to Motorhome

We love our Airstream International 28 but as I age the lure of not hitching up is pulling on me. I would love to hear about experiences from those who have switched...trailer to MH, or MH to trailer?. Did the change meet your expections, surprises, disappointments, etc.

If we do switch it will be to a Coach Platinum 26 or 27.

Our trips are primarily less than a week to Florida State parks, and one longer trip each Summer to the Blue Ridge Parkway near Asheville. We do dry camp some and an on board generator would be terrific rather that hauling my Honda around.

I have read arguments about toad vs. no toad and that would have to be decided at some time after we made a switch.

Cheers and thanks in advance.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2018, 05:37 PM   #2

Made the switch from trailer to MH 20 years ago. Go for it, you will wonder why it took so long.
texkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:45 PM   #3

[emoji897]
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The hook-up and drop were getting real old for us, so when it became easy to upgrade financially we skipped over Class C to Class A and wish we had not waited so long.

There is nothing in the towable world like having the whole RV's house accessible on the road.

Of course our experience is based on the situation that the RV didn't sit at destinations for more than a week or so...so hook and drop were more common events.
If you leave the RV sit for weeks and weeks or more at your destination, a motorhome might not be best. We believe that is where 5er's come in.

We bring a toad...(on the dolly - or in the garage as needed by each trip)...because we do not want to break camp for day-trips and errands.
Class B, C, or A - that is all the same without a toad...and just like a towable, this is just 2 vehicles.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:29 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have had both, a nice airstream 36 that they no longer make and a mh...nothing more painfull than driving in pouring rain and when you get to your site its still pouring, thats when the mh shines stay inside until it stops raining,no running from tow vehicle to trailer,plus dw loves to keep me fueled as we drive,snacks coffee,plus if we are pushing it,dw does not have to stop for restroom breaks, just keep rolling along in the mh...would never go back to a trailer or a 5 er.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #6
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Went from a 22’ Arctic Fox TT to 36’gasser class A at age 70. Everything seemed to weigh more with time on the TT. On the class A eventually five steps to get in and only one way in or out got to me after two years. Traded for my current 28’ class C.

I really like this size class C. I can travel with or without a toad. It takes up two parallel parking spaces by its self. I toured Wisconsin’s Door County and even Green Bay’s Lambeau Field (Go Pack) without a car. If a large delivery truck can get there I can get there and have lunch without opening a door.

Seeing the kids in Illinois I take the car along because the camper is may not meet zoning restrictions and most small parking lots are not worth the effort for a special meal.

OP, hope this helps in your decision process.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, airstream, motorhome