Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #29

i tore all the wood out of the bunk and used a sander and goof off to clean the fiberglass. i actually had to temporarily install the frame i was going to use to clean most of the fiberglass. my brother was going to help me and ripped the fiberglass half way across the bottom. caused me another couple of days worth of repairs. also used composite decking to redo the steps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1325.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	80873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1326.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	80874  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1331.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	80875   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1332.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	80876  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #30

that bunk is now rated for 500lbs.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #31

Here is the panel that will fit above the cab and below the bunk. 1/4" luan on the bottom with 3/4" boards for the framework. All glued & screwed.

3/4" foamboard insulation panels fill in all of the open areas. I forgot to take a picture of that, but you can imagine what it looks like.

Interior walls of the bunk area are cut to fit and screwed to the metal. 1" foamboard insulation fits snugly inside the innermost metal frame.

I was going to fiberglass it myself, but in the borrowed shop, sanding would not have been appreciated and with the added cost of primer & paint, I decided to just buy the filon siding and be done with it.

Here is what $545 worth of siding looks like (20ft)

Exterior side panels marked on the siding before installing. I will cut them out of the fiberglass last, just in case I screw up something and need extra. I can make them from a 4x8 sheet if needed.

and it is getting close.

I have some raised screw heads to flatten down, and some small divots to fill in. Going to use epoxy "peanut butter" for low spots & holes. It is epoxy resin mixed with powdered fiberglass and turns rock hard. It is commonly used on fiberglass boat repairs.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:42 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
Are You going to put the side windows back in?
Old 12-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinger View Post
Are You going to put the side windows back in?
Probably, but not this winter. I want to get it out of the buddy's garage as soon as possible. I can imagine that the air could get pretty stagnant up in the front bunk, but I am thinking of trying it for a while without the windows anyway.

Roof vent in the same area too will go in next summer. I am hoping to get it finished and moved this next weekend.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:49 AM   #34

Almost there

I'm not even sure what to call it, but here is that board that goes above the cab and below the bunk ready to have the filon glued onto it.

After things are glued together with contact cement, I used some old pool table slate to press things together overnight.

Filon cut out for the side panels:

and glued into place:

Ready to be trimmed. I used a router with a laminate bit to trim.

The top piece on!!!! It was a ROYAL PAIN to make sure everything was lined up. The contact cement is wicked stuff. Once it grabs, it's done.

And the top trimmed up:

Today is Eternabond on the corner seams and a few places on the roof. Then I am at least mobile again and my buddy can have his shop back. Corner trim pieces need to be cleaned up and painted before reinstall.

I will be adding an aluminum trim strip along the bottom edge and the top of the main piece of filon, just so there is no way it can start pulling away.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:52 PM   #35

Done!!! or close enough

Eternabond tape applied and out of the shop!!!!

Lots of little finishing details to be done, but it is sealed up and I am at least able to work on it at home now.

40 days from start to finish and significantly more hours than I expected. Probably 80 man hours in it total. Total cost is just under $1000 ($545 of that was the filon siding). Steel, plywood, stainless screws & glue.

Still to do:
Clean up & paint the corner trim
Clean& paint interior (all wood now)
Install side windows & roof vent (in the spring)
Make it "pretty" (paint, graphics??)

Overall I am very pleased with how it turned out. I had no clue what I was getting in to, but I have decent mechanical and construction skills. It is much heavier duty than original and the trip home didn't have all of the squeaks that it had before the rebuild.

I hope this helps someone in the future who decides to tear into it themselves.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:12 AM   #36

Nice work and thanks for sharing the pictures and construction details.
BurienTimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:10 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
That looks good and as to making it pretty you need only take it to your local graphics artist and they can cut almost everlasting decals for it and you are good to go for about a tenth the cost of painting.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:53 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bravo! You did an excellent job on this rebuild.

wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote