Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #1

Question Another Generator Question from a Greenhorn

We purchased a 2007 Forest River Lexington with 26000 miles. The Onan is 4000 watts and the indicator shows about 46.1 which I am assuming is the number of working hours on it? It worked fine for the 2 hour walk-around we got at the dealership. Yesterday we got in and really started trying to figure things out. I primed and started the generator, let it run for a few minutes before turning on A/C and lights. After about 15 minutes it just quit. We let it set for about an hour. Since our drive way slopes, I thought maybe the fuel had gotten low enough that the fuel pump wasn't picking it up so I moved the truck down to a more level spot. Primed the gen and it started fine. However, nothing in the truck worked, lights, nothing. [ I had previously turned off the auxiliary battery switch off thinking we were going to lock up.][ We are so new and green when it comes to this sort of stuff. If I had had the battery switch in the on position, would that have made everything inside work? If not, suggestions please? Thank you in advance for your help. It's a huge learning curve for this old lady but I'm loving it!

Regards,
Lexi's Mom
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What's the level of the fuel tank? If it's at 1/4 level or lower the generator probably won't get any fuel. All the lights in your coach are 12 volt with the disconnect switch off anything powered by 12 volts will not work. When the generator shut down the first time a 120 volt breaker may have tripped. Check the breaker on the generator and the 120 volt breaker panel for a tripped breaker.
BTW, if you haven't already joined you may want to join the Forest River Owner Forum. You will be able to ask question to owners of MH's like yours.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
What's the level of the fuel tank? If it's at 1/4 level or lower the generator probably won't get any fuel. All the lights in your coach are 12 volt with the disconnect switch off anything powered by 12 volts will not work. When the generator shut down the first time a 120 volt breaker may have tripped. Check the breaker on the generator and the 120 volt breaker panel for a tripped breaker.
BTW, if you haven't already joined you may want to join the Forest River Owner Forum. You will be able to ask question to owners of MH's like yours.

Chuck

Yup- what he said fuel level and all.

the breaker tripping happens a a good% of time when an AC is running and the genset dies.

It also take about 30 seconds to a minute for the transfer switch to flip after the genset has started.

Dave Sampson
Uncle Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post

Chuck
The rig fuel tank has more than 3/4 of a tank. I thought I turned off the A/C when it stopped the first time but when I got it back on the 2nd time for a few seconds, the A/C kicked right on. I know now that is a no-no. Jeez I hate being so dumb! I will check the circuit breakers in both places. Thank you for the advice. I do post in Forest River but they tell me I'll get more info on the Class C forums LOL. What to do
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Don't worry about being a greenhorn here. Everyone is at one point and that feeling won't last long.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:08 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As RickO said nothing wrong with being a greenhorn everyone was at one time. My two AC's have a two minute time delay to prevent them from starting when power is supplied, either shore or generator. If you have a transfer switch most have a time delay for the generator power for same purpose but it can be turned off. I have the transfer switch time delay turned off on mine, because the AC's have their own. You may want to check with Forest River if your AC has the time delay and if you have a transfer switch if it has a delay.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #7

Too much slope. Oil level in Gen. not circulating. Had this happen once before. After leveling Gen. Ran fine.
It is a safety censor for low oil.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
nevermind
Old 06-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #9

There is a breaker at the genny. Hard to see. Just to the right and down low, facing the front. Check this. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1403837154.214580.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	877.5 KB
ID:	66251
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator