Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Antenna reception

Or should I say the lack of! I have a 2013 Thor Four Winds 32A and have not been able to get TV reception from the antenna. I have tried the power antenna button and that did not work. I bought a signal converter from Best Buy but it did not help. My thought is something must not be connected up on the antenna on the roof. Any suggestions.
Thanks
MacQude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Make sure the TV is in the antenna mode.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #3

Yes the BOMB (box of many buttons).
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Yep it is in antenna mode and I checked the cables behind the booster switch. When I do a scan it finds nothing. We went on a cross country trip and didn't really use the TV much except for DVD's but at some stops I remember trying to get local channels but did not have any luck.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You should not need the converter box with a rig that new. If you have raised the antenna, have the system on antenna and have the antenna booster turned on it should work. If not something is not hooked up right, or is not hooked at all. Being a 2013 I would think the dealer would step up and fix this.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #6

Since you have a 2013 model RV I assume it would be a digital TV. If you are reasonably close to a major city you should be able to receive the digital channels. You might pick up a set top antenna form radio shack, they're cheap, and connect it direct to your TV and see what happens. Do you get a cable signal when connected?

Jerry
Old 02-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I am able to get cable when hooked up to cable. I will buy an antenna and try the direct hookup but will I need a converter box for that or is it in the TV that the channels are converted? The place I bought my RV from (I bought it new) is about 250 miles away so getting anything done under warranty is not worth it unless it cost more than $1000 to me.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I just upgraded to a 32" LED TV. What I didn't realize is that when doing the scan on the TV, there are two choices, cable & antenna. I have to choose the same on on the TV and BOMB. Cable scan with Cable button and Antenna scan with the Antenna. It worked for me anyway. Got some good HD pictures over the Antenna when the cable just had SD.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
I will double check the BOMB now that I understand what is being said here to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for all the input.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Let us know what you discover. My TV reception is almost non existent also and I don't want to step up for satellite right now.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #11

If your TV is digital, which I'm sure it is, you don't need anything other than the TV and the antenna, As the other said you have to set the tuner for TV. The remote probably has an "input" button you'll use to select HDMI or TV once you've done the channel scan. Go into the menu options and find the "channel" option and make sure it's set on "TV",then run the channel scan. Depending on the TV it may give you some addition options but I would just use the default options that come up when you run the scan. Mine found both digital and analog channels. The analog channels will likely be pretty raspy looking and snowy and the digital ones will look like High Def. once you have all the setup done you can just use the input button to switch from TV to Sat
Jerry
Old 02-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Yes, I have gone through the owners manual and did all that you mention beaverjocky but still no reception. I am about 60 miles away from a major city but I would think I would get something. Anyway I will pick up an antenna this weekend (hopefully) and do a direct connect and see what that gets me. I plan on heading to Atlanta soon maybe I will try it there I'm sure they have at least one air channel
Side note: Just to be sure, the BOMB is the remote right?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
No, the "BOMB" is not the remote. The remote does not have any wires connected to it. The BOMB on my unit, is located in a cabinet, over the driver's head. Yours might be otherwise located. The BOMB, has all the cables to connect your TV, with the outside, such as the antenna, cable, or sat dish, if you have one. The BOMB will also have front and rear TV cable connections, if you have more than one TV. That's why it's called the box of many buttons.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #14

If you are 60 miles from a major city (broadcast tower) there is a good chance you will not have reception. Digital over the air is only reliable to about 35 miles
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna