RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2019, 02:44 PM   #1

Cool Anti sway bars

We have a 2008 Class C with Ford F450. We would like to know if anyone else has tried these or if the actually do work as advertised? Camping World has advertised the following:
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars
Item No. 31621d

Features
Make your motorhome handle more like a family sedan than a house on wheels.
Is driving your motorhome a white-knuckle experience because it pitches and rolls with wind gusts or passing semi trucks, leans to one side on curves and waddles over speed bumps? Enjoy cornering with confidence, quicker maneuvering in traffic and a more level ride over uneven terrain—all with greatly reduced driver fatigue because you won’t have to constantly wrestle the steering wheel.

How Anti-Sway Bars Work:
Anti-sway bars link the suspension and the frame, using the weight of the axle as a brace against the chassis to distribute weight more evenly. Pressure against one side of the coach from wind, passing trucks or weight shift is countered by the bar.

Why RSS Anti-Sway Bars Are Better:
Larger diameter than factory bars—Every 1/8" increase in bar diameter increases resistance to sway by 30 percent. RSS bars are 1/4"-3/8" larger in diameter than most factory anti-sway bars. High-grade 4140 "chromoly" steel construction—RSS bars are made of a chrome and molybdenum alloy which is considerably stronger and more durable than the 1020 standard spring steel used in many factory sway bars. Polyurethane bushings—More durable than factory rubber bushings, polyurethane is impervious to gasoline, oil and ozone

kuzzy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #2

My E450 came with both front and rear anti roll bars. I did add a rear Trac Bar that helped a whole lot. Did away with white knuckles in side wind and tractor trailers passing.

A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:37 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Kuzzy- There have been lots and lots of posts re after-market anti-sway bars. Almost every post I have ever read says there was a big improvement in handling; some posters say the improvement was huge.

The PO of my coach installed Helwig anti-sway bars; he said the difference was huge but he also installed a Steer-Safe at the same time, so both probably contributed to the handling improvement he observed. After I bought the rig, I added Ingalls adjustable bushings to achieve 5 degrees caster and there was a noticeable improvement in longitudinal stability with those. Some folks just weigh their rig and adjust the tire pressure to match the tire mfrs load tables then have it aligned (whilst loaded as if for travel) and handling is OK w/o after market hardware. As for me, if I keep my rig rather than updating I plan to add a trac bar like 32Deuce did ............ then I will have all the after mkt "stuff" available; my coach seems to like it.

I did read some time ago (on this forum, IIRC) that one poster said the Roadmaster bars were a little heavier than the Helwigs. Dunno about that though.

Features
Make your motorhome handle more like a family sedan than a house on wheels.

The above statement from the ad is a huge "stretch" IMHO; but, if the price is right, I'd go after the Roadmasters if I were you.

Just my $.02, of course. Safe travels.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:47 PM   #4

A rear, heavy duty anti sway bar, replacing the stock one, made a huge difference in my 2000 30 ft Class C.

I had plans of other upgrades but the one rear bar was more the enough. It stopped the diving out of the lane when big rigs overtook us.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:11 PM   #5

The ONLY thing that makes an anti-sway more or less effective is the diameter of the bar and the attachment method of the end links all other dimensions being equal (and they will be unless you change attachment points). I don't know if the Roadmaster bar is larger, but I'd bet at least $5 it is, but if it's not, it's a waste of money. One of the things you might want to think about is changing the rubber bushings to polyurethane. There's 4 on each end link and 2 on the main bar. The poly is stiffer and should last longer whether or not you change your bar. Just for reference the diameter of the bar is raised to the 4th power in the formula to calculate the strength of the spring so a fairly small change in diameter will result in a fairly large increase in the rate. For instance a change form 1.00 in to 1.25 in in this formula lead to an increase in rate from 145 to 354, more than double. Here's a link to the calculator: Sway Bar Rate Calculator | GTSparkplugs

One more thing, anti-sway bars do not, in general, increase ride stiffness, so no you're not going to lose any fillings.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:47 PM   #6

I installed Hellwig sway bars in mine and they helped.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:58 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do sway bars help, sure, BUT that costs $$$ first things first. Weigh the class c at TRAVEL WEIGHT, the adjust tire pressure per tire manufacturer spec, check front end alignment, should be at least 4 degrees to 5 degrees caster, then re evaluate your driving, I have a low miles E450 at 31ft maxed out on gvw, I drive one handed all day long, no semi push/suck, its stable as a rock all stock, door sticker said 60 front and 80 rear, after weighing, front at 75 rear at 80 BIG DIFFERECE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONWisconsin View Post
I installed Hellwig sway bars in mine and they helped.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:22 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tire pressure by weight. Alignment. Ensure all suspension and steering components are working as they should. Then, and only then, consider aftermarket add-ons.

If the chassis is a straight front axle, Install a steering stabilizer such as safetyplus.

If the chassis has rear leaf springs and does not have a rear track bar, install one.

Lastly, if still not satisfied with the drive and handling, consider higher rate sway bars.

Imho. Ymmv
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:56 AM   #9

Thank you for your input.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:45 PM   #10

Added rear trac bar made a big difference on my E-450 chassis
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:07 PM   #11

People think that because you have leaf springs that there is no side movement! Boy,are they wrong!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:53 PM   #12
EJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
Do sway bars help, sure, BUT that costs $$$ first things first. Weigh the class c at TRAVEL WEIGHT, the adjust tire pressure per tire manufacturer spec, check front end alignment, should be at least 4 degrees to 5 degrees caster, then re evaluate your driving, I have a low miles E450 at 31ft maxed out on gvw, I drive one handed all day long, no semi push/suck, its stable as a rock all stock, door sticker said 60 front and 80 rear, after weighing, front at 75 rear at 80 BIG DIFFERECE!
I will preface this with saying I'm a complete novice. I have a similar experience with our 31' Jayco Class C front tires at 75PSI. It handles pretty well! Highways are not white knuckling experiences.

Weighed the coach for the first time since owning (thanks to all the recent threads here ). Found out we were 60lbs over the front axle weight (4660 total / max is 4600). BTW - still scratching my head about how I can drop 60lbs up front (I'm not big and neither is my wife and even if she was I don't want to sleep in the shed tonight).

My RV mechanic/storage location (also a Cruise America rental place) keeps the front tires at ~75PSI. My manual pressure gauge and TPMS agree. I've kept them there since I'll defer to his experience.

The door sticker calls for 60 / 80 at GVRW. I need to ask him if they do on rentals too for better handling / safety. All in all, I'm happy with the handling. Just got back last night from a week's trip to PA and WV.
EJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:30 PM   #13

Hi kuzzy2020,

You mentioned that your rig is a 2008 model year. What year is the Ford E450 chassis? The style of the Ford front grille will give it away. Does it have the current day front grille, or the grill of a 2007 model year? I ask because many 2008s were built on a 2007 chassis, a common practice but amplified during the recession.

If you have a 2008 chassis, you are less likely needing heavy duty front and rear stabilizer bars and shocks. BUT.........

Click on the link below to determine if your rig could benefit from such upgrades.
How To Test Your Suspension. Does It Need Heavy Duty This & That?
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:50 AM   #14

I want to thank all of you that responded to my question. You have given us a lot of information that we can take to the mechanic. We will let you know how things turn out. But it might be awhile before this happens.

Tags
sway bar