Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #1

Anti sway + new shocks on E450 28'

I have had my 2005 Lexington 283 by forest River, for three months now. The chassis is a Ford E450, with 27,000 miles, rig is 29’ overall and has three slides. It must be near the weight limit of 14,050 but I have not had it weighed yet. I bought front and rear anti sway bars by Helwig and 4 Bilstein shocks on the internet and had a local shop in Anaheim, CA do the install. Got home yesterday from a 700 mile trip to Yosemite in California. Had both freeway and mountain road driving conditions.

There is a significant improvement in stability. The wind from 18 wheelers is hardly noticeable and corners are much more stable. I like the results very much. Perhaps the best thing is the steady tracking or lack of lane wandering. Makes driving easier and less fatiguing. I think it was worth the cost.

Bilstein shocks from allshocks.com were $343.
Anti sway bars from sdtrucksprings.com $431.
Shop labor to install $660.00 total $1,434.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #2

I have made the same upgrades on my 2001 e450 30 ft . Shocks first and that helped. Sway bar several months later and big improvement in side to side. Still had a vibration at 62 - 65 mph. Last "upgarde" was the much discussed full loaded alignment by an experienced big truck shop. When I showed up they knew I wanted more caster and they complied. After the alignment and speed balance 7000 + miles to Ohio - Yellowstone/Glacier - Ohio. I'm not saying it's a limo now but I could knock back a 500 mile day when needed. My son in law, who has driven with us before, commented on the improvement in drivebility. By the way, I have weighed and we're loaded to the limit, riding on Michellin XPS ribs

Old 04-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good shocks and anti-roll bars (with urethane bushings) much heavier than the puny ones put on by FOrd.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #4

@Artbode very helpfull post. What shop in Anaheim?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcampers View Post
@Artbode very helpfull post. What shop in Anaheim?
Fleet Services, one half mile north of the 91 freeway on corner of Miraloma and Tustin did the install. They were recommended by Glenn's in Costa Mesa. Glenn's is the primo alignment/front-end shop in Orange County. I love dropping in there because it is like a museum of show cars being worked on. Fleet services has several locations in Southern California and works on trucks and RV's. Not cheap but they knew what they were doing and installed parts I had bought on the internet. I would go back there.

Fleet Services Inc

Tags
shocks