Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #1

Any help?? Looking at new RV

My (DW) I gather this means Darling Wife? and I are headed over in the morning to possibly buy this unit
2011 Coachmen Freelander 32bh Bunk House Sleeps 10, Brooksville FL - 109598883 - RVTrader.com
I think its a good price and it looks to be in good shape. What should I look for to better help us make our final decission?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #2

How many class 'C's have you looked at? I would advise looking at several and drive several. I can see this one has slide toppers. That kinda tells me it might have other nice options. 28k miles tells me it was busy. Probably 10k miles per year. That does not bother me because the Ford V10 is just about bullet proof.

You are in a hot bed for RV's. Again check out others and if you still like this one then buy it.

Coachmen builds entry level units. Fleetwood probably builds better units and Winnebago builds better units than Fleetwood.

But for the $$$ this unit looks very nice.

Good luck

Old 03-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #3

Agreed on looking at many before buying. Be sure to drive a few first so you can tell if you like the way they handle. We went from a Class A to a C and I wasn't happy with a few C's because the cab bed hung out too far over the windshield. You also need to look for leaks in the cab bed and in corners and seams. Look for delamination in the fiberglass sides also. Hopefully it will have maintenance records. Is this your first RV?

I would look at many before buying the first one I looked at. We saw more than I can count before settling on our current C
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #4

We shared 2 RVs with a friend for a couple of years. Both were ford chasis. 1st one did not have slides. The 2nd one had 1 slide and it was much nicer. Total of about 10,000 miles traveled. We have looked at hundreds of them on line as far as floor plans, options, class A compared to class C and we were hooked when we saw this floor plan. We always hated that we had to take down the dine table so the kids could go to bed and that we had to wait for them to wake up to have breakfast. Most of the class A that we like are way above our financial means and we want a RV we can actually afford to USE now as well as in 10 yrs. We have tried to picture every possible trip to see how this RV would perform and We cant think of any option that this RV doesnt have that we would want. My wifes 1st words were "This is perfect".
Now I know we do not have enough experience to cover everything but we know that we loved our trips in the 29ft no slide RV with almost zero options so this is a major upgrade.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #5

We also know that it was a one owner who traded it in for a bigger class A
Old 03-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #6

Knowing the additional info I say take your checkbook tomorrow. You guys in Florida are lucky as you can use the rig year round. Lots of swimming an kayaking with hundreds of state parks. A 31 footer will fit just fine.

Cool - good luck tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
As the above poster said it is more of a entry lever unit, but having kids, those two beds are very handy. I see the fresh water is only 38 gallons, which to me is kind of small, but I have seen many "C's" in that range. My 25' tt has a 52 gallon which we use for many in house showers. I saw the 2013's say they have a 50 gallon fresh..?

Is the price the one on the window $54k ? I see new ones (2013's) advertised for $67k to $75k with a MSRP of $90k+ I also saw two 2014's listed on line....So that tells me they are building 14' now...That may give you a little more wiggle room to negotiate down on price.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #8

We do hope to wiggle them down a few thousand if possible. In most cases we will always have enough fresh water with 34 gallons on board but if we know we will be away from a water source we have a 55 gallon fresh water drum with a pump and hose to pump right into the coach as needed. We used it on the last 2 RVs. Yes i will have to pull a small trailer but we would do that anyway if we were on a trip like that.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sleeps 10, I can pretty much guarantee that the unit will exceed it's GVWR if you load it down with 10 bodies and gear.

Ken
Old 03-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Sleeps 10, I can pretty much guarantee that the unit will exceed it's GVWR if you load it down with 10 bodies and gear.

Ken
Im sure you are right. We would never need to haul for 10. In a pinch we might need to sleep 10 while parked if rain came and tent camping friends needed cover for a night or 2.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #11

Well - did you buy it? If so cool !!!
Old 03-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #12

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is similar to ours in layout. Really decide if you like the bed, I assume it is a short queen. At 6 feet it is a little short for me, if you are taller it may really bother you. The bunks are also small but fine for kids. We added netting to the top one as my youngest fell out one night! Overall the layout is great.

I didn't look closely at the ad, I assume autolevelers?
Old 03-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hobby View Post
My (DW) I gather this means Darling Wife? and I are headed over in the morning to possibly buy this unit
2011 Coachmen Freelander 32bh Bunk House Sleeps 10, Brooksville FL - 109598883 - RVTrader.com
I think its a good price and it looks to be in good shape. What should I look for to better help us make our final decission?
Just a note: I did not see hydraulic levelers listed on the spec sheet. A 32' unit should include them in MHO. Very expensive to add later. With that many passengers there will be a lot of sway when parked without levelers.
Enjoy the new RV!
Old 03-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #14

UPDATE!

We took the 3.5hr dirve to the lot and they had it parked right up front with a SOLD sign on it Sale pending would have been a better sign At 1st look from 50ft we were happy. The sales man greeted us and left us to look around and then I started my very intensive inside inspection. Less than 1 min it was obvious that they had young kids, crayon on the walls and broken crayons behind the seats. Not much of a cleaning job. I climbed up into the overhead sleeper and pulled back the matteress and this is when I started to take money off the asking price. You could tell that there was or had been a small leak that was starting to discolor the wood and cause a mold odor. At this point im against buying it unless they drop 5k off. Now the dine table seat hinge was broken off and a stress crack about 2 ft long and the blind was broken. Now to the couch area, some trim nails were coming out, the blind was also broken. The kitchen area was good but needed cleaning. The upper bunk was about to fall do to poor structure support. The trim there was broken and falling off. The bathroom was good. The master bedroom had several problems, broken drawers that would not slide, Bowing wall from hanging to heavy of a tv without proper support, bad spots in the wall paper. At this point my wife and I said to "ourselves" we would offer them 45k. The sales man walks in and says "so what do you think", Our reply was "We are probably not interested", He replied " Why, whats wrong", I started showing him all the items i had concerns for and he said "what what will it take to make it worth your while", I said "Not sure yet, I want to keep looking", he said "ok" and left.
Now we head outside and right off the bat we noticed that the mirrors had been hit. There was some storage compartment trim issues, it had been bottomed out on something which dented one of the storage compartments, broken latches, torn decals. It had been backed into something which scratched the finish and cracked the tail light lens. The ladder had been tweaked. Once I climbed the ladder and saw the roof I came straight down and walked to our vehicle. The sales man came up and we said no thank you. I told him there was way to much damage for 54k and that i would not be willing to offer him 30k. He said he was sorry and if he found another one he would call.

We were very sad. We really liked the look, the colors, the floor plan, the interior and more. We just could not justify all the repairs to purchase this one.

Thanks for all your help and Im sure we will need more when we find our next prospect