Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-30-2014, 07:06 PM   #29
Newmar Owners Club
Surprised the Ghost does not have gutters. The Phantom 32SC I looked at had gutters and a little drain spout to push the water away from the walls.

Hey Sunshine23, any issues with your Maxxforce 7? I am watching the EGR-based class action suits pile up, and wondering how it's affecting Nexus Super C owners.

Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2014, 08:15 PM   #30
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
The others have an exhaust brake (a biggy for me) and air ride which add to the vehicle. The Maxx Force engine has its roots in the Ford Power Stroke which concerned me at first, but from what I have read, it should not be an issue (though there are others that will argue differently). I think the two look nicer inside. Other than that, it would be like trying to decide to buy a car or its more expensive cousin. Its a matter of personal choice and $$$.

We haven't bought yet (life has thrown us some curves) but it is on our short list.
The Ford Power Stroke was an International Maxx Force engine until 2011. International supplied Ford with the Power Stroke engine, Ford did not build their own engines until the 2011 model year when they introduced the 6.7 litre Power Stroke. Maxx Force engines seem to have a dubious reputation, one will work well but the next one will be in the shop constantly. Personally, I would steer clear.

2003 Forest River Reflection
BlueOvalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:13 PM   #31
Wow we didn't know about this thanks for the heads up. The only issue regarding the engine was with the fan belt. We were having multiple issues with the belt fraying on very short distances but international
Sunshine23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:14 PM   #32
Fix the problem and we haven't had any issue since.
Sunshine23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #33
Just a note regarding NEXUS RV sales/service. I flew back from the west coast to Nexus to take delivery of a Super C, albeit it was not a NEXUS product, but a used trade in 2014 Super C.

I had many conversations/emails/texts with Nexus (names omitted) regarding what my expectations were when I arrived there from the Southbend airport (only about 10miles away). I arrived promplty at 8:30am when they opened, and the salesman that I was working with told me that I would be on the road shortly for my long trip back to the west coast. Needless to say they had not performed any of the inspections that they had claimed, and did not have it de-winterized for my trip. It took until after 2pm that day to get me on the road. I would rate Nexus service and sales as being pretty low regarding promises, follow through, attention to details, and service while a customer is waiting anxiously.....

I did walk around their plant in my 6hrs of waiting, and their products are "nice" for a super C, but its more of a "budget" Super C in my opinion when you compare it too any of the other true Super C platforms. For one, the "Terrastar" platform is the bottom of the barrel of IH platforms, no where comparable with the platforms that the other Super C's use such as Freightliner and the big brother to the Terrastar platforms....i.e. Dynamax and Jayco products. Thor's Super C F550 is a nice product that I feel is comparable to the NEXUS, but again not in in the league of a Dynamax or Jayco Seneca product IMO when it comes to the general sturdiness of the truck platform.

As a note of interest regarding the production date on chassis: I was talking with a service manager, and they purposely purchased a "bunch" of Terrastar chassis last year to avoid the added expense of the current emissions of the current production Terrastar's which require DEF. Therefore depending on the state you live in, some states title MH based on coach productions, so if thats the case you are "ok" in buying a 2015, but some states title based on chassis vin/date, and your 2015 new coach could be titled as a 2013/2014 which ever the date on the Terrastar chassis. If that is the case, percieved depreciation by a future buyer/NADA guide could be a considerable monetary hit.....even though NEXUS considers it a 2015 yet the state title shows 2013/14

Happy RV'ing.

fryguy is offline   Reply With Quote