Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2017, 04:11 AM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
DW wouldnt consider an A because of no driver door. Perpetually afraid of crashing and not having more than 1 exit
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2017, 08:05 AM   #16

Be sure to look at the Minnie Winnie 31D.
32'9"
3 small slides (no full wall)
N-S 80" Queen very comfortable
Pass through storage
Large dinnette w big storage underneath.
Huge pantries.
Place for computer equip in bedroom, use as an "office".
Ford E450 handles well.
No sway or pulling.
Ducted air.
3 Flat screen TV.
Can watch TV from couch, dinnette, swivel seats, or bed over cab.
87K new
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:58 AM   #17

Our #1 reason for going with the C (after 12 years of towing): DW would not drive a class A. It's awesome being able to get out of the left hand seat on occasion.
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:07 AM   #18

We love our C. Bought a 32ft class C, because DW was able to drive the class C with no problem. Changed the front and rear sway bars. DW enjoys driving it so much, I have trouble getting her to let me drive.
Bill 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONWisconsin View Post
We preferred the Class C because the way it handles and front protection.
Why we decided on a Class C.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:56 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbutts View Post
Our #1 reason for going with the C (after 12 years of towing): DW would not drive a class A. It's awesome being able to get out of the left hand seat on occasion.
Same here.
Roger
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by n-e-d View Post
DW wouldnt consider an A because of no driver door. Perpetually afraid of crashing and not having more than 1 exit
Buy a Newmar with the bathroom emergency exit door.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:56 AM   #22

RV Trip Wizard
We researched for over 2 years before buying our Super C. The combination of CCC (over 9K lbs), towing capacity (20K lbs), ease to drive (kinda like a big pick-up), ease of engine accessibility & maintenance all pointed to the Super C. The factor that clinched it was the additional protection in the event of a head-on collision. As an old truck driver told me, "if you are in an accident in a Class A, you are the first guy to arrive!"
Old 08-29-2017, 07:28 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We have met two or three couples who had traveled extensively in Class A and recently down sized to a C. Their reason was primarily due to their age and health.
They felt like the A was getting to be to much for them to maintain, drive safely etc. And the C was less maintenance, easier to park and drive. Additionally, they were not traveling near as much.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Akers View Post
For anyone that wants the space of an A, but doesn't like the difficult maintenance, scary view, no airbags, bus-like ride, etc - look seriously at a Super-C. There's more and more available now, on all sorts of chassis. Showhauler, Nexus, Renegrade, Thor, Hawk, and others.
I dont get the scary view part. That for me is one of the main features of an A class mh. You can see the countryside around you better. You can see over the traffic ahead of you. As far as protection, you still have a frame in front of you. The top of a car would barely be at floor height. If anything it would go under the coach. You seldom see someone killed in a class A motorhome. I will take the "scary view" all day long.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:27 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Many many non drivers stuck in the seat 4' behind the one entry door on the A's have reservations about your great view.
That said we down sized for the ability to access smaller RV parks and camp grounds. We went from a 40' A to a 31' C. Yah we gave up a bit of storage but found we carried way too much junk. The wife who could drive the A but chose not to still chooses not to but can, but here is the important part is happier in the C's cab.

LEN
Old 08-29-2017, 08:40 AM   #26

I selected a Sprinter Class C over a Class A because of maneuverability. I can park easily in a normal parking lot and get into any state or national park.

We bought the Dynamax Isata 3. Get about 14 mpg with the diesel. If you are considering a Class C, look at Dynamax as Class C and Super C is all they do.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:07 PM   #27

I have a Class A in SoCal and live in it 3-4 months a year and a Class C in Baja I live in 3-4 months a year. I love both. No problems driving either.

The "C" is a Lazy Daze, no slides, small but cozy, rear converted into a king bed, love the surround windows, easy to work on. Overhead cab is used for storage along with the front seats when not driving. Minus the front seats, usable space is 19'. Coach is marketed as a 26.5' mid-bath. (Ford E450 chassis, 6.7L V10.) Weight: 13k approx, loaded.

Class A is a Newmar, 38', 2 slides, 2 LCD's, 2 bathrooms. Love the view out the front. Love the king bed. Passenger side door is behind the passenger seat. I optioned for a driver side door which I use. Did my first oil change and lube myself. (Ford F53 chassis, 6.8L V10.) Weight: 23k approx. loaded.

Both serve a purpose and don't miss one over the other when not in use. Can't go wrong with either. (Last year, traded a 36' 5ver, 3 slides -- had it 8 years and LOVED it for space. Setting up and travel felt more complicated.)

So, Class A: higher off ground, great views, lots of exterior storage, easy enough to drive but not as easy as the ''C''. Love the interior space.

Class C: no exterior space but that's fine, easy to drive, cozy, no complaints.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:26 AM   #28

As a first time RVer, I picked a Class C Mercedes Sprinter Chassis LTV Unity over all other Classes because of mpg, quality and floor plan, easy of driving, maneuverability, ride, low maintenance, and you don't need to tow a vehicle. The Class As are great with space but you have to many worries when driving and to maintain. They are so big and top heavy. I wanted something that wasn't intimidating to drive, could go anywhere, got good mpg and was comfortable. The LTV Unity is only 25' long, 10.5' tall and 7.5' wide. I got the Murphy Bed model so the small space isn't wasted with a bed out fulltime. My unit goes anywhere and its so easy to connect and disconnect that I don't need to tow a car to sight see. I just unhook and go or sometimes rent cars for something different. It pulls into any parking lot, gas stations, fast foot, shopping, airports, restaurants, you name it. It fits in all National Parks and State Parks. I do envy Class As but until they make one less that 30' long and less than 12' tall I won't even consider it. Even then I don't think I would trade the easy and comfort of my Unity for it. Especially as I get older and find bending and climbing more difficult. I only have one step to get in my Unity. Good luck with your search. Go to an RV show like the big ones in Hershey PA in mid September or the Tampa Super Show in mid January where you can compare models and walk through them and really check them out. Once you narrow your picks, go drive them and get to your choice. Take your time, do lots of research, walkthroughs, and test drives to get the right coach for you. There is a Sprinter forum with sections for all Sprinter Based RVs, https://sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php, if you want to check it out.

Tags
class c