RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2018, 06:42 PM   #57

Have driven a class B van conversion. Small, nimble, but no storage, and no dry bath. Great for touring. Not so much for destination camping. Economical on all things fuel, insurance, and maintenance, and they park anywhere.
Then tried a class A gasser. Lots of room and storage, towing capacity, and the full bath. Negatives were lousy fuel economy, terrible ride, the doghouse, the V10 engine noise, and the lack of maneuverability and choices of where to park/stay. The roominess was nice, once you stopped and parked it. We felt we had to tow, because some places were inaccessible to it.
We looked at a Super C and it just seemed too much like a class A with a truck cab. I've heard them called "diesel pullers", DPs with the engine up front. Size-wise, they're almost the same length as many class A coaches. Too big and too much like a class A coach in size and price for us, after looking over one or two of them. I think the average length is over 30' and the average length of a class A is probably around the same over 30'. For those of you that chose them, I'm sure you're enjoying your choice, after downsizing from your class A coaches, but they just weren't for us.
We went with a 26' Sprinter based class C "diesel puller" instead. Shorter length and height, and narrower than a class A, but with many full sized amenities, except the external storage volume. Better fuel economy 16MPG @ 65MPH than the gas versions (incrementally better than that if you lighten up on the pedal), good quiet hill climbing power, adequate towing capability, and it drives more like the class B van than the class A bus in terms of maneuverability and parking/stopping choices, as it's only 6' longer. We can tow or not. Depends on whether we're touring, or destination traveling.
Having owned/driven all 3 types I would say "So far, so good". YMMV.

Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #58

We started with a 24' class c then went up to a 37' DP and now have a 33' super C. It is a ton more relaxing to drive then the DP. I never did enjoy how the DP handled on the air ride suspension. Our super C does have more engine noise but I'm working on converting to electric engine fans to take care of some of that. The ride is more like a truck but not harsh. I can drive it all day long without feeling beat when we get to camp. This is just my opinion tho. I'd suggest spending some money on renting and really find what you want before buying. If you don't get what you want it will cost you dearly. RV's lose value faster then anything I've ever owned so trading in after a year or 2 will hurt the bank.

bhplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:04 PM   #59
LOG

I just love this forum. I just found out that a diesel motorhome cost less for maintenance than a gas model. I would have never thought that to be possible. WOW.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:45 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOG View Post
I just love this forum. I just found out that a diesel motorhome cost less for maintenance than a gas model. I would have never thought that to be possible. WOW.
Read on. Wait until you see some of the repair bills diesel owners pay when they have a serious problem with their engines. Injectors, pumps, EGR systems, turbos etc. Then you will say WOW!
I will stick to my gas powered MH which gets an oil change once a year with an $8.00 filter and 6.5 qts. of synthetic oil @ $2.99 per qt.
Last year I did spring for a set of spark plugs and new plug wires. $100. Woe is me. LOL
A slight difference in mileage being better with a diesel is pretty well offset by the increased price of diesel fuel and the addition of D.E.F. fluid required in the newer models.
Lynn
Old 04-16-2018, 07:29 AM   #61

One must stand strong for their personal choices, regardless. If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands. Diesel is the standard for heavy hauling...it's all about torque and maintaining steady speeds at lower RPM on greater inclines. If you study torque curves you'll find a diesel holds a near flat torque curve from around 17-1800 RPM upwards to 26-2800 RPM. Gas engines have a very defined peak and you must stay just below that number to maintain maximum power output to the ground. This is why they so quickly slow down and downshift the transmission on inclines. There is no cost advantage to a diesel...fuel is 50 cents higher a gallon and the initial investment is $15K more minimum. Those 35MPH, 4,000RPM at 2.7MPG up the 65MPH Speed Limit mountain passes are not fun. I started shopping for a large Class C (35 feet plus) three years ago and did not purchase until someone finally got smart and built one on an industry proven commercial diesel chassis. If we really cared what an RV cost or the cost to maintain one...we would never own one. To me it's all about performance and convenience. We'll be waiting for you at the top of the mountain with a fresh pot of coffee.
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:49 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
I was in the market for either a Class A or C. Chose the C 'cause I wasn't comfortable with the 'bus' like feel of the A. Ended up with a Super C from Dynamax.
DX3 Class C Motorhomes by Dynamax
The Super C was a comfortable fit from the beginning.
We drove both and also opted for a super C - Thor Chateau 33SW on a F-550 chassis. It drives SO much better than the As that we drove. We love it and have no intention of looking at an A any time soon.
agilabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #63

I love mine also and it handles unbelievable! We did our first tester weekend this past week not far from the house and abused every feature. No issues with anything other than one light switch not working over the sofa. They are scare as hens teeth now since the F550 chassis is no longer available for who knows how long. It's available to the truck body companies but Thor can't get a commitment on any. A Google search will only pull up 1 or 2. Another great feature...everything with the chassis is built by a true heavy duty truck manufacturer...not an RV company trying to build trucks. Where did you buy from?
Old 04-24-2018, 09:19 PM   #64

We had a Tiffin 36 UA then a Tiffin RED 37 PA. We now own a Wayfarer. We found that more is not necessarily better. I find the class C drives better than either class A. We just want a comfortable bed, A/C and a place for coffee. The Wayfarer fills our needs, is easier to drive and the little MB diesel is perky and gets great fuel mileage.
cajuncamnper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:37 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funding Fun View Post
Where did you buy from?
We bought used from Eagles Pride RV here in FL. Just been out one weekend since February, but we love the new coach. We had a 27' trailer pulling with a 2013 Ram 2500 diesel. We would get blown around by the wind or by trucks. With the new motor home, we don't feel anything. It's so easy to drive, my wife loves it!
agilabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:18 PM   #66

Diesel Class A is tops. It's all in the chassis. Get one you can afford. I got a 20 year old for $20,000. Some mechanical problems but never regret it for the ride, and the basement storage, and the tub/shower for elbow room and seat, and lots of cupboard space, and quiet riding, and TRANSMISSION.
philnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:12 AM   #67

Hope you're happy with the A. You love it for the ride, some hate it for the ride. One thing for sure...you'll be the first one to the wreck (does it have air bags). We are ecstatic with our C's. There's thousands of reasons why people choose one over the other. Mine was a very educated and well researched decision. I looked at new A's two years ago and almost bought the Palazzo but decided a large C was best for me. Only thing missing was diesel power. Now it's available and that's when I bought. Just because I chose a C over an A doesn't mean it's a better coach for everyone, or that it's "tops" over anything else...but it does mean it's a better coach for me! A lot of improvements have taken place over the past 20 years. If I were buying a 20 year old MH, I probably wouldn't have even considered a Class C. They've come a long way, baby! The only thing that hurt was writing the check.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:17 AM   #68

Vintage RV Owners Club
A or C

we have both. the A 92 Itasca 34 ft Suncruiser diesel pusher my wife cant drive. the brake pedal is so hard to push.had it to 2 HD diesel shops. they say the electric over hydraulic is working,thats the way it is ? so its only for short trips to the lake lot. next month we are leaving for the Yukon where the wife was born,so we bought a 78 Dodge powered 21 ft class C.40,000 orig miles. will change the tires,and oils,filters and check it over first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	left side all repaired.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	200540   Click image for larger version

Name:	outside frt left .png
Views:	57
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	200541  

Old 04-26-2018, 08:22 AM   #69

If that's the 318 or 360 you can't kill it!! Good looking classic with low miles!!
Old 04-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #70

Vintage RV Owners Club
A or C

its a 400 4 barrel. according to my buddy the Dodge expert. its good.he recommends me putting dual exhaust on it though. help it breath.

Tags
class c