Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2018, 11:20 AM   #71

Jayco Owners Club
We moved from a class A DP to super C. The primary reason is that my wife would not drive the class A. Interior and basement storage on the A was better but with the C I can run a 500 mile day and not feel totally exhausted. It's like driving a large pickup. If you're only going a hundred or so miles to a local campground, then a major benefit of the super C goes away.
Our next coach will be another super C but not the same brand. If you have no experience with either, this could be a tough decision. Yes, the C is a bit noisier but you can carry on normal conversations and the heat and AC is way better. Plus you get better protection in a crash event. With the right floorplan you can have almost the same livability in the C as in an A.
With the C you will also be able to get chassis service in more locations. Many diesel shops will not work on class A's. And if service is required on an A DP they may have to work on your engine via your bedroom.
New super C's are also being built on Freightliner Custom Chassis (S2RV) built for RV use similar to what they do for class A's.
Figure out whats important to you, talk to a lot of people recognizing that we are biased towards what we own, and make you own informed decision.
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2018, 08:29 AM   #72

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
36 foot 35 SD Super C now from a Fleetwood 38 foot Deisel pusher Class A. Eventually if we full time we will consider the tag axel 43 foot Class A deisel pusher.
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:31 PM   #73

I park beside our house. The class C cab doors allow we to get in and out. Not possible with a class A.
DickReid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:05 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltW View Post
Our next coach will be another super C but not the same brand. I
Walt , just curious what you didn't like about renegade.
We are happy with it so far ( after 1 year )...

Thanks
Bruce
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:37 AM   #75

Jayco Owners Club
Bruce, you missed the "on order" in the signature block. We're disappointed with the design and quality of the Seneca. Looking forward to the Renegade Valencia.
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:28 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOG View Post
I just love this forum. I just found out that a diesel motorhome cost less for maintenance than a gas model. I would have never thought that to be possible. WOW.
I'm sensing a hint of sarcasm.
Van Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #77

Parts, Handling, Safety, Class C

All of the things that have been said about Class C I agree with; the non-bus handling, front end safety and ease of getting parts. I have a 2017 Coachmen Freelander 26ft on a Ford chassis and it drives like my Ford pickup and is steady in a good crosswind. My Freelander also is easier to change oil and get to the engine than any Class A I have seen.

When I looked for a coach I did look at Class A as an option and there was more storage in all units compared to Class C. We don't go out for more than 2 months and it has all the storage space my wife and I need. I expect that if you are full timing a Class C may not provide all of the space you need.

Another observation is that many folks buy longer unit then go to a campground and spend most of the time outside. So consider the trade-off between space and handling or wind buffeting.
larrygray2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:37 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrygray2 View Post
All of the things that have been said about Class C I agree with; the non-bus handling, front end safety and ease of getting parts. I have a 2017 Coachmen Freelander 26ft on a Ford chassis and it drives like my Ford pickup and is steady in a good crosswind. My Freelander also is easier to change oil and get to the engine than any Class A I have seen.

When I looked for a coach I did look at Class A as an option and there was more storage in all units compared to Class C. We don't go out for more than 2 months and it has all the storage space my wife and I need. I expect that if you are full timing a Class C may not provide all of the space you need.

Another observation is that many folks buy longer unit then go to a campground and spend most of the time outside. So consider the trade-off between space and handling or wind buffeting.
We are looking at trading in our TT for a class C mainly because of some options that either weren't available or we weren't aware of when we were buying a couple of years ago. One of things I like is that some class c's that we've been looking at addresses the storage question. Specifically, Thor has a couple of models with around 120 sq ft of storage and while I know some class A's have way more than that, it's about double what most class c's have. I think that's a great feature in something that is 30-31'. Combine that with an 8000lb hitch it seems like a nice compromise to me.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #79

Storage Capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post
We are looking at trading in our TT for a class C mainly because of some options that either weren't available or we weren't aware of when we were buying a couple of years ago. One of things I like is that some class c's that we've been looking at addresses the storage question. Specifically, Thor has a couple of models with around 120 sq ft of storage and while I know some class A's have way more than that, it's about double what most class c's have. I think that's a great feature in something that is 30-31'. Combine that with an 8000lb hitch it seems like a nice compromise to me.
Maple King; I traded my TT for a Class C last summer because of the constant pain with setting up and tearing down the TT. I am so much happier now and when I go to a campground I use my stopwatch to time the TT folks and it takes more that 30 minutes to setup a TT.

One of the things about a Class C is there is storage over the cab if you don't have someone sleeping there. Our unit says that 350 pounds is the limit to put above the cab. We use laundry baskets from Walmart and store clothes and lite items but this is valuable space so don't forget that you can use this space wisely to take care of any items you want to keep safe and dry.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrygray2 View Post
Maple King; I traded my TT for a Class C last summer because of the constant pain with setting up and tearing down the TT. I am so much happier now and when I go to a campground I use my stopwatch to time the TT folks and it takes more that 30 minutes to setup a TT.

One of the things about a Class C is there is storage over the cab if you don't have someone sleeping there. Our unit says that 350 pounds is the limit to put above the cab. We use laundry baskets from Walmart and store clothes and lite items but this is valuable space so don't forget that you can use this space wisely to take care of any items you want to keep safe and dry.
Good to hear! I'm looking at a bunch of things and ease of setup and use is one of them. I'm also looking at the total length and the cost of both vehicles vs the class c and a toad. For us the length would be shorter and and the cost lower with the c.

Appreciate the tip on the overhead cab but we are planning on using that for our son.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

We are currently considering downsizing from our Class A gasser to a Sprinter chassis C, probably a Winnie Navion. The A was fine and we have enjoyed it, but there are so many options in the C class now that we have decided to go that route.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:26 PM   #82

I am glad I found this thread.

We sold our Bluebird M380 a couple years ago and thinking about getting another RV.

The debate is whether to get another Class A...bigger Bluebird...or a Class C. I know all the downsides of Class A...expensive...DW can't drive...pulling a toad...fuel economy, etc. And...we are both getting a "little long in the tooth".

We are thinking of going on some multi month trips in the summer and returning to our SW Florida home for the winter,

We are leaning toward the Mercedes
Sprinter for all the reasons that make a Class C easier to handle and wondering which Sprinter to get.

We have looked at the Winnebago View and the Leisure Unity but are open to all possibilities.

Here is what we want:

A bed big enough for 6'2" me.

A comfortable reclining chair or two.

A separate shower stall.

As a side, I could be convinced to go with gas to get a bigger interior maybe?? __________________
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:03 PM   #83

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post

Here is what we want:

A bed big enough for 6'2" me.

A comfortable reclining chair or two.

A separate shower stall.

As a side, I could be convinced to go with gas to get a bigger interior maybe?? __________________
My 2017 26 foot Coachmen Freelander came with a sofa. I ripped it out and installed two recliners. Each recliner cost $450 and it took 3 hours to rip out the sofa and assemble the recliners. I think you can only get what is standard unless you order from the factory which takes many months and added cost. There was no downside to this it allows my wife and me to sit comfortably in the same space as the couch which was uncomfortable.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:54 AM   #84

Send a message via AIM to cornelljd Send a message via MSN to cornelljd Send a message via Yahoo to cornelljd
class a to c

My wife has the same issues with riding in our class "A" 35 foot rv. It took 6 months for her to even ride in the front seat. She will not drive it so I am stuck driving everywhere, so we are switching to a 28 foot class c on the ford chassis with the V10. We like the side doors and roll down windows and she can drive storage for gear might be an issue but will see we do not get the new rv until Saturday 19th
cornelljd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c