RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2017, 02:44 PM   #1

Carolina Campers
Anyone choose a Class C over an A?

I know many of you may have gone straight to Class C's. Have any of you wanted a Class A and opted for a C? Or, had a Class A and switched to a Class C?

Ignoring size, what were the reasons? I am in the market for a Class A and went through some Class C's and was impressed but why a Class C?

I will ask this over on the Class A forum also.

jk70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2017, 03:42 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I own both a class A and C. A is great for room, comfort, storage, eating space, etc. However it sucks more fuel, tougher to find a place to park, does not work in city streets.

My old 1998 29-foot C had more sleeping capacity than my current A. I have a 2017 24-foot C now that is great on fuel, can be parked anywhere but living in it is tight for even two people.

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:50 PM   #3

I test drove a Class A and then a Class C motorhome in 2014. Both early 2000 models with comparable milage. I had read on here that Class As we're the better MH to get.

After battling the Class A, that rode like a bread truck, banging over every crack in the road, and wandering all over the highway, I was so disappointed that I was about to give up my quest for a MH.

A few days later I took a 30 ft Class C out for a test. It felt heavy and a bit rolly, but it rode smooth and straight, down the road.

I bought the Class C and upgraded the sway control. 30,000 miles later, we are still liking it.

After reading about all of the money folks spend on attempting to improve the ride of the gas, Class A MHs, I won't buy one.

My budget doesn't afford, nor want to spend the money maintaining a Class A, deisel pusher. I spent my career repairing heavy equipment, I know what breakdowns and parts cost.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:15 PM   #4

I was in the market for either a Class A or C. Chose the C 'cause I wasn't comfortable with the 'bus' like feel of the A. Ended up with a Super C from Dynamax.
DX3 Class C Motorhomes by Dynamax
The Super C was a comfortable fit from the beginning.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nope, not us! Went from a C to an A in 1998 and haven't looked back.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:24 PM   #6

We have a class A and love it but the Wife is petrified sitting in the front passenger seat because of the large window, sitting so high, and no protection in front. We will be looking at trading it in with in the next year for a class C. I would make sure who ever is your co pilot make sure they are comfortable sitting there it will make the journey a whole lot more enjoyable
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:49 PM   #7

I had a class C 24' before I bought my 30' class A. The C was a bit more compact but the over head bunk in the front was a nice feature. The A seems more open and spacy but it is 6' longer so that is explainable. When it comes to driving the class C had it over the A like a tent. It is the difference of driving a 2 seat sports car and an ill handling luxury car. I was much more comfortable driving the C than my A.
After a certain length you are limited to an A. The depreciation on an A is greater than a C IMO. While I enjoy the A after we park it I would rather travel in a C.
After reading some of the threads on this forum you couldn't run fast enough to give me a DP. Too many expensive issues. I understand the need as a gas engine would be over worked with a 40' MH with all the doo dads and gadgetry some owners can't live without.
While I sit somewhere if you pull in with a C be aware I will wave to you.
Lynn
Old 08-26-2017, 06:51 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I have owned both a gas 38' and a DP 40' class A. I now own a Win View class C. For two people and an occasional grand child it is plenty of room for us. We enjoy the driving experience, the maneuverability, fuel economy and no need to tow a car. We can park anywhere you can park a large car.

I would not want to live in it full time. For our purposes is is much more overall convenient.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:39 PM   #9

I have owned 3 Class A rigs over the years, (two were brand new), and a travel trailer. We love our new Class C. After a front end alignment, it drives great. And rides very smooth and quiet. I would never go back to a Class A again, gas or diesel.
GoneToTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #10

We preferred the Class C because the way it handles and front protection.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:55 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok, here goes, i have been in rving for 40 years, started with a truck camper went to a small class A in the early years, now retired, have owned 2 40 ft DP, hated the first one and really disliked the second one reason?? Co pilot did not like the amusement ride, second everything is hard to find gor a DP, went back to a C With 2 slides, love it and i can get chassis part anywhere or engine parts, cant do THAT on a DP, injector or fuel lift pump goes out on a sunday, your standed, not in a E450 just go to autozone or anybodyelse that is open and you can usually get what you need.
Fuel mileage about the same 40ft DP vs 32ft 2 slide class C, with gas being cheaper than diesel, its a no brainer.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:59 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We love our Class C Winnebago Aspect. It handles like a big van and at 27' we can get into just about any campground. Plus it can be worked on by most Ford dealers unless we need a lift, then we have to look around some.
For the two of us, it's all the room we need, has all the conveniences and none of the needless luxuries that just add to the list of things that break.
The only two things I wish we could change are the corner bed (but we manage ok) and gas mileage (which is pretty awful for most RVs anyway, except Sprinters).
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:00 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONWisconsin View Post
We preferred the Class C because the way it handles and front protection.
And airbags!!
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #14

For anyone that wants the space of an A, but doesn't like the difficult maintenance, scary view, no airbags, bus-like ride, etc - look seriously at a Super-C. There's more and more available now, on all sorts of chassis. Showhauler, Nexus, Renegrade, Thor, Hawk, and others.

Tags
class c