RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2018, 11:03 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anyone installing an AGS (auto start generator)

Anyone install a auto start for the generator on a onan 4k? What did you use? Right now if I boon dock I start the 4k and leave it run all night , looking for suggestions. Mainly worried about battery voltage for the propane furnace draw

avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2018, 06:10 AM   #2

If you boondock often, adding another battery or pair of GC2s may be a better fix. Then you should be able to get thru the night without the generator.

I installed a pair of 6 volt GC2s in a compartment and tied them into the single 12 volt battery under the step. I didn't follow the mixing battery rules but it worked great for 4 years.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:37 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with Twinboat but, Onan has the EC-30 AGS. It's spendy, may require an additional wiring harness and, according to Onan, may require a technician up to 12 hours to install.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:08 PM   #4

Adding one is on my to do list, The one I am considering is the GSCM or possibly the GSCM-mini GSCM-mini-60Hz (USA & Canada) - Atkinson Electronics - Circuit Boards

My thought would be to set it up to start on low battery voltage, as well as start on relay signal from the air conditioner thermostat using an add on time delay relay.

In theory this would work on those warm evenings with cooler nights, allowing the air conditioner to call for auto start, then shut down the generator with a short cool down delay once the interior was down to set point and if it warms up inside restart the generator as needed.

Sure this is simple, and the base unit does not include features for quiet hours, or the like, but if camping in such a location I can just turn off the auto-start master power switch from a dash mounted control switch.

Ike
Old 10-18-2018, 02:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The onan EC 30 is obsolete no new version is available as far as I know.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:09 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
The onan EC 30 is obsolete no new version is available as far as I know.
I thought it is the EC-30W (wireless remote) that is no longer available. I think the EC-30 is still available, but is time consuming to install.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I have not purchased this yet but plan to. This may fill the bill

http://palmerenergysystems.com
Old 10-21-2018, 05:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooneypaul View Post

Thatís the exact model auto generator start that is on my 2018 ACE. Never looked at it that close till I saw your pic. It works too.
RadioRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:48 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooneypaul View Post

I installed this one in my coach this summer, all worked as designed during installation and testing. Have not had occasion for it to do it's job as I was plugged into shore power all summer and have now parked it for winter.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:54 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just installed the Magnum network version as I have a Magnum 2012 with the remote. All of the settings and control works via the remote. Simple install and it works great. My Onan is a 5500.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:42 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I dont have an inverter, maybe I should install one, space is limited on a 07 Fleetwood tioga 31m, I do have 2 6 volt batteries
Old 10-21-2018, 10:47 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Adding one is on my to do list, The one I am considering is the GSCM or possibly the GSCM-mini GSCM-mini-60Hz (USA & Canada) - Atkinson Electronics - Circuit Boards

My thought would be to set it up to start on low battery voltage, as well as start on relay signal from the air conditioner thermostat using an add on time delay relay.

In theory this would work on those warm evenings with cooler nights, allowing the air conditioner to call for auto start, then shut down the generator with a short cool down delay once the interior was down to set point and if it warms up inside restart the generator as needed.

Sure this is simple, and the base unit does not include features for quiet hours, or the like, but if camping in such a location I can just turn off the auto-start master power switch from a dash mounted control switch.

Ike
This looks interesting. All I am after is if shore power drops out then the generator starts, would have to install a transfer switch I would think. Just want to keep ac unit running for fur babies
Old 10-22-2018, 12:24 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Anyone installing an AGS (auto start generator)

This system is triggered to start the generator either by coach temperature or battery voltage drop. Iím very happy with mine. You already have the transfer switch required to switch between shore power and generator. The stand alone AGS version simply has a remote switch that acts as both a temperature sensor and on/off switch that can also run a test start routine.

RROLDSX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, generator