Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #1

Anyone know much about The Ford Holidaire?

I just bought a 1987 ford holidaire. It doesn't have a manual. I am just wondering if anyone knows anything about it. Like whether it is diesel or regular petrol.
Noiseless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

I wish I could answer your question but I have no idea.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:07 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here.

First do NOT add fuel to the RV until you decide which one you have. Look at the engine, if you have spark plug wires it is gas if not it is most likely diesel. However you need to make sure.
If you have any RV dealers near you try to get one to come inspect your rig. They will be able to tell you a lot about it.
Good luck with your search.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the warm welcome.
That's a good idea. I had quick peak yesterday but wasn't thinking about looking for the spark plug wires.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-01-2014, 10:13 PM   #5

Okay, I saw a distributer cap and wires. It is regular gas.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Noiseless and congrats on the new motorhome.
I did a quick bit of Googling and the Holidaire Class C motorhomes appear to have been a Canadian brand. Something to keep in mind is that while the chassis was provided by Ford, it is still a
Holidaire brand RV.
The Ford chassis is an "E350 cutaway chassis" so use that terminology when asking for those parts. The coach was built by Holdaire using appliances and systems made by other companies. Grab a notepad and start looking for the make-model ID tags of these items (fridge, furnace, water heater, etc.) and start Googling those ID numbers. You should be able to find many of the manuals online.
Best of luck and enjoy the adventure.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #8

Thanks so much. I was presuming it was built on an e350.

I'm gonna take a look at the id tags and numbers tomorrow. Hopefully can start the rebuild soon.

Thank for the info!

Old 08-09-2014, 06:50 PM   #9

Tested out the propane today. The pilot lit with little effort. Water heater (furnace?) fired up great. All four elements are burning great.

Just in case.
Video description to light a pilot and fire it up. The 1987 Holidaire uses the first type in the video.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #10

I have yet to get the water running. I am fairly sure it is due to my inexperience and the lack of a manual.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:50 AM   #11

So I can't seem to get any dc power in the rv. Like the lights or water pump. Not quite sure why yet.
Read some stuff mentioning a battery cutoff switch. Any idea where this might be? I am very green to this. I've tried everything I can think of.

Maybe the deep cycle battery is dead?
Any ideas would be a great help.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #12

DO NOT run the how water heater with no water in it.
Battery cut off switch usually by entry door on?
Plugged into shore power?
Check fuses at converter.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #13

Turned propane on for less than 10 seconds. Just to check. I wot run it again until I figure out this problem.

I looked at the converter. The fuses and breaker seem fine. I will double check again today. There is two switches by the door they don't seem to do anything though. Maybe the battery is dead.

I'm gonna have a look at the fuses again.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #14

Anyone know much about The Ford Holidaire?

So, update. I have started work on the rv.

I still can't seem to get dc power to the lights or water pump. I have flipped about every switch I can find. The Two by the door don't seem to do anything, but I suspect they are the battery cutoff switches.

Looks like there was some extra wiring done to install a full electrical/no propane bar fridge. One wire was put into the converter and is coming out of a bent air vent in the converter box. So, it is definitely a mod. The wire doesn't connect to anything though...... Just ends and not even capped!

I have been reading about a solenoid by the battery I should be checking. There also appears to be a small box (fuse?) coming off the pos terminal with wires on either end of the box.

I don't have a multimeter so until my father brings some of his tools and a multimeter I'm using a bulb attached to wire. The battery lights up the bulb quite brightly right of the terminals. The small fuse box on the positive terminal lights it up at either end of the fuse.

Could the converter be the culprit? Do these things need replacing?
I'm really not wanting to open up the walls and trace every last wire. Is this what I'm going to have to do?

Doesn't look I me like there was any damage caused by mice. No poop or bite marks on wiring.

Question:
if the battery lights up bright of the terminals; is that a good indicator of it having any charge?

Do most battery cutoff switches operate a Solenoid by the battery? Is this only for newer vehicles or is it standard?

Should I just bite the bullet and buy a new deep cycle? This one appears to be very new. The seller said that It may be dead. I am getting power enough to light a bulb On a wire though.

Tags
ford