Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #1

Are Max Air vent covers obligatory?

We are new owners of a 2017 Minnie Winnie 31D. The forward roof vent has a cover and fantastic fan. The rear and bath roof vents do not. I'm leaning toward leaving things the way they came from the dealer. But our former RV had 3 vents all with covers and I'm not sure this is a good move. One thing I think I will like is the ease of keeping the thing clean without having to take off the cover once or twice a year. More light without them. Must keep closed during rain. I hate the thought of drilling holes in my new roof. Thoughts? Suggestions!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2017, 02:51 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Vent covers do not require you to drill into your roof! The mount to the sides of the frame of your existing vent opening. Not that difficult to remove and clean, however I have never had to do this due to the covers keeping most of the debris out. If you get the white ones they don't block out too much of the sunlight either. I have dark ones on mind, but I spend the winter in Arizona and don't mind blocking out some of the heat and sunlight.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you're drilling holes in the roof, you are installing them wrong.

I wouldn't leave home without them. They protect the vent covers, and vents can be left open without worrying about high winds ripping off vent covers or rain getting inside.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:00 PM   #4

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I like the extra light, so for me , it would be leave it as is. I have some closed cell foam that we cut to fit tightly up into the skylights/vents to keep the heat out when it gets hot.
Enjoy your rig!
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:45 PM   #5

The MaxxAir covers and other brands mount with brackets that screw into the sides of the fan housing. The Ultra Breeze cover made by Fantastic Vent (Atwood) for the Fantastic Vent fan, and also fits others, has brackets that pick up existing screws in the mounting flange. You do have to do some resealing when installing them, around the screws, but nothing big. Personally I prefer the Ultra Breeze, as I think it does a better job of keeping out rain and allows the vent to be opened further, thus more air moves thru it.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:21 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They are a must for me. Don't have to remember to close in case of rain. Protects the vest covers when traveling and they come in contact with a tree branch (I speak from experience). Added to our previous two coaches. Current coach came with them.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #7

After a couple of years the sun will take its toll on the flimsy vent lid. In fact on my first TT I did not have covers. A sudden storm and high winds managed to break the one over the bed and allowed rain on the new mattress.

For a few bucks I will not make that mistake again. All my vents are covered!
Old 05-09-2017, 09:09 PM   #8
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
They sure are nice.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #9

Ever been in a hail storm?
Old 05-09-2017, 10:20 PM   #10

In the near future, replacing bedroom vent with maxxair fantastic vent. Cant see not having it and the darker vent. Help keep things dark at night.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:25 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post

I wouldn't leave home without them. They protect the vent covers, and vents can be left open without worrying about high winds ripping off vent covers or rain getting inside.
This!
Old 05-09-2017, 10:35 PM   #12

Also, remember that the Fantastic Vent brand of vent has a lifetime warranty on the dome. The new ones are a softer plastic that holds up better, doesn't get so hard and yellow that it cracks easily. I installed a white Ultra Breeze hood for looks and a reasonable amount of sunlight comes thru the whole thing. But on mine, it is right next to the large dome over the shower, so I get lots of light anyhow.

I highly recommend the Ultra Breeze version of the cover. It is quite easy to remove also, pull four hitch pins and remove four washers and it is off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
In the near future, replacing bedroom vent with maxxair fantastic vent. Cant see not having it and the darker vent. Help keep things dark at night.
You are mixing up two different names/brands here.

Maxxair is a trademarked brand name and product of Airxcel

Fantastic Vent is a trademarked brand name and product of Fan-Tastic Vent, a wholly owned subsidiary of Atwood Mobile Products LLC. Fan-Tastic Vent line of fans.

Maxxair Original Cover

Maxxair II

Maxxair Fanmate

Fantastic Ultra Breeze in translucent smoke, also in translucent white and black.

Video demo of the effectiveness of the Fantastic Ultra Breeze over other brands.
Youtube video

Camco Vent cover

No, I don't own stock nor sell the products, just like the Fantastic Ultra Breeze I have.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:43 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hmmm I have three vent covers and in 13 years have never removed them to clean.

I clean the air screen inside where the fan draws the air through with a damp rag several times a year

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:55 PM   #14
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Ever been in a hail storm?
Sure have -- 2 to be exact. The first in Oklahoma killed all 3 OEM vent lids which I replaced with Polycarbonate models. Then I was in a MAJOR hail storm with 2" and 3" hail that took out everything EXCEPT the new vent lids and my Uni-Solar solar panels. I lost fridge vent cover, A/C shroud and the shower's skylight was cracked but epoxy fixed it. I think the solar panels that cover most of the roof protected it from damage.

Many of my friends had $15-20,000 in damages to their RVs and toads. My RV's hood got pockmarked but I decided it was easier to live with than being kicked out of our monkey proof home for a week or more. The paint remained intact so I just consider the small dings to be added character.

The Smart Car is almost all plastic and was parked where the windshield was protected. It got 2 one-quarter inch size dings in the black metal safety cage which again wasn't worth the bother of fixing. I think the heat popped them out that summer.

I have only 1 vent cover -- over the toilet. It's nice to leave it open for weeks at a time in warm weather. Even when driving the fresh air is nice and the wind noise is minimal.

I wonder how the MaxAir covers hold up to hail? Or maybe mine just keeps hailstorms away.

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent