Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_H_E View Post
if you do cover your bikes be careful of air flow. May make the engin run hot
good point. I did not think of that. I wonder if I could find some kind attachment that would help deflect air around the bike rack. Need to get an adapter though to see how the bike rack platform fits as it is for a 1 1/4" receiver hitch and my motor home has a 2" receiver on the front.
83Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2011, 07:57 AM   #16

I asked a family member who is a traffic court judge.

He said basically what someone else stated. Plate, headlights and turn signals cannot be obstructed. He also pointed out that our city busses carry bike racks on the front.

As for the cop with a problem. He stated that if you are cited again bring evidence of the previous dismissals and ask the judge for a contempt of court citation against the officer. Just asking will usually stop the problem.

I seriously doubt bikes will cause an over heating problem. They are not going to block that much air.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #17

Good to know.

I think the bikes blocking air flow was in response to my comment about putting a cover on them so they don't get covered in bug guts.

I need to find an adapter to see if this will work with the rack on the front. I am hesitant to buy one as I'll be stuck with it if I cannot mount the rack on the front. So I have been look ing at other options.

Wish it had a receiver hitch on the back. It has a heavy duty regular style hitch on it. I am also hesitant to modify it, because I have had bad luck modifying some older vehicles in this nice of shape without stuff breaking.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I had a hitch receiver on front of PU works well easy to load.if it was illegal to have something in front snow plows would not be allowed.
hillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This was our old rig prior to the motorhome. We never had any problem whatsoever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0987.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	530.0 KB
ID:	11287  
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #20

Thanks for all the responses. The current bike rack I use on the Caravan and the AMC will not work on the front of the motorhome. It is made from a hitch haul platform, and is for a 1 1/4" receiver. I have a 2" hitch on the front of the motorhome. I found a 2" receiver bike rack on craigslist today for $50. Going to try for it. Hopefully it would work better.

My quest to find an affordable utility trailer for behind the motor home has not brought about good results. If I go the trailer route I think it would be best to do an enclosed unit rather than a flatbed.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #21

Well, I will be trying out the front bike rack tomorrow on our way to the West Omaha KOA. I scored a 2" receiver bike rack that holds 3 bikes on Craigslist for basically a song. Pretty happy with it. I need to cut a lock cable off the front bike holder because the owner did not have a key to it, but that's not a big deal. Hope it works as well as I was told. Hope it'll be legal too. I'll probably have to move the license plate, but I hope not.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #22

remember if you move the license plate that it must be securely fastened (no baling wire). As for a carrier on the rear (either MH or TT/5er) check the Idaho Tote Dolly. aneat little carrier but no cheap. (WWW.idahotote.com)
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83Eagle View Post
Thanks for all the responses. The current bike rack I use on the Caravan and the AMC will not work on the front of the motorhome. It is made from a hitch haul platform, and is for a 1 1/4" receiver. I have a 2" hitch on the front of the motorhome. I found a 2" receiver bike rack on craigslist today for $50. Going to try for it. Hopefully it would work better.

My quest to find an affordable utility trailer for behind the motor home has not brought about good results. If I go the trailer route I think it would be best to do an enclosed unit rather than a flatbed.
They make sleeves, or maybe I should say inserts that will reduce the size of the receiver to 1 1/4". I found the comment from Nebraska interesting as he made a comment about extending the overall length to above 40 ft. I drive a 42 ft+ class a and others have 45 ft ones. I am also aware of laws that allow for loads that extend beyond 4 ft requires a red flag attached. I wonder if Ne. has more restrictive laws?
Old 06-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhauler View Post
remember if you move the license plate that it must be securely fastened (no baling wire). As for a carrier on the rear (either MH or TT/5er) check the Idaho Tote Dolly. aneat little carrier but no cheap. (WWW.idahotote.com)
Not seen those before. Definitely look like they would be very easily towed. Out of my price range though. Very cool though.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
They make sleeves, or maybe I should say inserts that will reduce the size of the receiver to 1 1/4". I found the comment from Nebraska interesting as he made a comment about extending the overall length to above 40 ft. I drive a 42 ft+ class a and others have 45 ft ones. I am also aware of laws that allow for loads that extend beyond 4 ft requires a red flag attached. I wonder if Ne. has more restrictive laws?
Yeah I thought about getting a sleeve for the platform hitch haul thing, but I put it on there yesterday and looked at the visability of it fron the driver's seat and did not like it. I think the bike rack will serve us well.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #26

Have not tried the bike rack yet. I need to figure out a way to mount the license plate.

According to the officer I talked to the plate just has to be visable. It does not have to be permanently mounted to the motor home.

I know a lot of people that just have the license plates zip tied to the grille. I even know a couple poeple who leave the plates on the dash.

I think it is interesting how the plates must be lighted. That has to just refer to the back plate as I have never seen a lighted front plate.

WOrking on a lighted back plate holder for a custom spare tire carrier I am installing on my AMC Eagke Wagon. I think I will order a regular plate holder along with the lighted one for the AMC. That way I can find a place to quickly move the plate if I use the carrier and when I am not.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_H_E View Post
if you do cover your bikes be careful of air flow. May make the engin run hot

Definitely
Old 07-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #28

Plate on the dash is not legal in any state I know of. Has to be mounted to the vehicle.

Does not matter how, just mounted. Zip ties are legal.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote