Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #1

Are receiver bike rack or platform legal on the front?

Not sure if I am asking this in the correct place. If I am not someone please point me in the right direction. I am still getting my bearings around this awesome forum.

MY wife and I have been looking into a way to haul the bikes to the campgrounds without having to bring the minivan or the AMC. I have a hitch mount platform that I use to haul the bikes and bike trailer for the kiddo. Our motorhome has a heavy duty hitch on the back, but it is not a receiver hitch.

There is a receiver hitch under the front bumper. My wife's Grandpa said that is for putting your boat in the water. I have heard that before; just never seen it done.

I am curious if it is legal to mount a receiver hitch bike rack on that front receiver hitch.

Kind of like how this truck has one mounted.

I asked at the DMV here in Nebraska and came up with nothing (aka the lady at the wondow did not know). I am not sure where to go to find this out. Anyone here know?

Putting a hitch bike rack on the front would be a lot easier than having the hitch guy convert the back hitch into a receiver.

Curious what you all think.
83Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #2

Maybe something like this...Mad Dog Three-Way ATV Receiver Hitch | ATV Accessories | Northern Tool + Equipment
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #3

I hope it is legal as I do it all the time.
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
83 eagle

call your local highway patrol office and ask them your question.

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #5

OK I will try and call the Highway Patrol on my lunch break sometime this week. In class in a neighboring town 8-5 Monday thru Friday this week.

Did not think about calling the Highway Patrol.

Never seen a front mount bike rack around here except on the city buses.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We see bikes mounted on the front of a pickup frequently in this area. I would love to carry our long wheel base recumbent bikes that way but they would likely partially block the headlights. Keep in mind, the bikes will be great bug collectors in that location.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post
We see bikes mounted on the front of a pickup frequently in this area. I would love to carry our long wheel base recumbent bikes that way but they would likely partially block the headlights. Keep in mind, the bikes will be great bug collectors in that location.
Good point on the bugs. If we do it I'll have to get covers for the bikes.

Emailed the Nebraska State Patrol information and question address a few minutes ago. We'll see what they say.

I'd better install it and the bikes and see if the headlights get blocked. That would not be good.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
When I pulled a travel trailer with my 15 passenger van I mounted a front receiver on it and used a hitch platform to carry my generator on the front of the van all across the country. No problems or tickets.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to kirkcrawford
I suspect most officers would be fine with it as long as it does not obstruct your forward vision, headlights, or turn signals.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkcrawford View Post
I suspect most officers would be fine with it as long as it does not obstruct your forward vision, headlights, or turn signals.
That was my thought, but I wanted to be sure. A trooper with the State Patrol emailed me a response today. Here's what she said...

"That should be fine to mount the bikes in front of the RV as long as it does not obstruct the license plate, head lights, or turn signals. Also, the vehicle’s length, including the bikes in the front (or rear) and be no longer than 40 ft. I hope this helps answer your question."

Sounds like I need to mount the bike rack and bikes and see if it blocks the lights, turn signals or the plate.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used to use a front mounted bicycle carrier on a van I once had... That pick up.. I see a potential issue with "Obstructed vision" should it become involved in an accident, However ... Well, I've met a cop with an issue,, (And I'm the issue he has, I should point out he has run out of warnings but that is another matter.. The last warning, I very strongly suspect (I did not stick around long enough to find out but if I read her tone right) was delivered by the judge,, nice judge by the way, She keeps looking at me and saying "Dismissed" every time this idiot brings me before her, and yes, I mean EVERY TIME)

But front mounts are very common. So long as it does not block your vision you should be ok.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
83 eagle

Just another thought. If the bikes block the view of the plate. Remove the plate and hook it to the bike out front where it can be seen

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
83 eagle

Just another thought. If the bikes block the view of the plate. Remove the plate and hook it to the bike out front where it can be seen

jack
Yeah I have not had a chance to look at it yet, but I was thinking if it does block the license plate I will just get a plate holder and bolt it to the platform and some wing nut set up to quickly move the plate if needed.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83Eagle View Post
Good point on the bugs. If we do it I'll have to get covers for the bikes.

if you do cover your bikes be careful of air flow. May make the engin run hot